Greg de Vries
Marian Hossa

for

Dany Heatley
-------------------------------
Colby Armstrong
Erik Christensen
Angelo Esposito
2008 1st round pick (#29-Daultan Leveille)

for

Pascal Dupuis
Marian Hossa
--------------------------------
Jeff Carter

for

Jack Johnson
2012 or 2013 conditional 1st round pick
--------------------------------
Jakub Voracek
2011 1st round pick (#8-Sean Couturier)
2011 3rd round pick (#68-Nick Cousins)

for

Jeff Carter

The common theme is just about every one of those deals is a 1st round pick is involved.

So 1st pick, top 6 forward/top 4 D roster player and a sub par prospect or 1st pick and a good prospect and a bottom roster player.

I never do this but here we go:

Fla 1st pick(2015)
Shore
Upshall/Kopecky/Flash/Bergenheim(whoever they would prefer)

to Boston for

M. Lucic

Great8Cam

Nov 2, 2008
I like Bergie but it's time to move away from him, Kopy, Slumpy, Flash, and let the kids come in and play.

Howden, Shore and Rocco are the depth. We need the elite scorer, but getting him is extremely difficult.

We need a veteran D for Guds instead of having Olsen there. Let Olsen and Petro fight it out for #7 D man.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
If Carter costed Jack Johnson + a conditional first, then we could do Kulikov + a conditional first for a scoring winger. But, we're not in a position to add the final piece. We need some time for the youth to get better.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
If Carter costed Jack Johnson + a conditional first, then we could do Kulikov + a conditional first for a scoring winger. But, we're not in a position to add the final piece. We need some time for the youth to get better.

If the opportunity is there to get a scoring wigner that his under contract for a while, you take it even if it's a year or two too early. These guys don't hit the market that often and there will be other team trying to get them.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
I agree that a scorer is needed, and specifically one with a quick release and good anticipation of where someone like Barkov will put the puck.

However, on speed I guess I'm going to be a bit contrarian. We have players with enough speed IMO, but it's our passing and timing that are more lacking. Having said that, the whole team is buying into Gallant's system, and they ARE getting better, as results show. The reason why we don't see the results fully yet is because of the competition. The other team isn't going to let our young guys to just show off their new system and skills without interference. Our guys need to get to that next level where they can change plays on the fly. The elite guys are able to do this, but you need everyone on the team capable of supporting the elite guys. One Barkov won't get it done, just like one Toews wouldn't get it done.

I'm not against trying to trade for a scorer stud, but until the team gets to the next level, that stud won't do what he did somewhere else on an overall better team. The team needs lots of practice and game time together. Results aren't instantaneous.

I'm actually very much ok with where the team is going and where it's at. If we miss playoffs by a couple of points, I'll be pissed, but it'll also mean that we've improved a lot from last year. Coach Gallant needs a lot of credit.

CoolburnIsGone

Its debateable that we could get a Carter type player as Johnson had proven more to that point in his career when he was traded (had put up 2 straight yrs of over 35 pts) at the same age as Kulikov is now. Kulikov had a bad yr last yr and while he's much improved, his offense isnt close to what Johnson had. Carter was also struggling somewhat in Columbus (I think he was clashing with coaching IIRC) and I believe requested a trade.

Plus I'm struggling to see a forward (around 27 yrs old, goal scorer mostly) like Carter was at the time of the trade right now thats available for that return. Closest that I could see is Simmonds and I dont see Philly dealing him for that kinda package. They'd want something like they got for Carter originally which was a 1st (#8 overall), 3rd rounder and a top 6 young forward (Voracek). The equivalent for us would be like our 2015 1st, a 3rd rounder in 2015 and Huberdeau.

DrMom9900

Nov 2, 2011
Would the leafs ever trade Kessel? I want a floaty guy who just knows exactly how to snipe that top corner. We have enough hard workers, gimme that guy who's hot ***** and doesnt have to work at it

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
I like Bergie but it's time to move away from him, Kopy, Slumpy, Flash, and let the kids come in and play.

Howden, Shore and Rocco are the depth. We need the elite scorer, but getting him is extremely difficult.

We need a veteran D for Guds instead of having Olsen there. Let Olsen and Petro fight it out for #7 D man.
There's a reason Petro and Racine are so effective and constantly paired together in San Antonio. They are the shutdown physical pairing that eventually will move up to the Cats at some point in the future. The D will see many changes in the next few years.

Pukboy5kroner

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 10, 2007
Would the leafs ever trade Kessel? I want a floaty guy who just knows exactly how to snipe that top corner. We have enough hard workers, gimme that guy who's hot ***** and doesnt have to work at it

I can't see that happening during the season. Simply because, despite how they are doing in terms of advanced stats, the Leafs are in a pretty good position to make the playoffs. As of now, I think it would take a sure thing top d-man (not saying Weber, Doughty, or the like, but it would be most likely Ekblad from the Cats) along with a player who can make up for a good deal of the loss of Kessel on the scoresheet. If they blow it up a bit in the offseason, picks and/or high-end prospects might be more acceptable.

Jan 19, 2006
I agree that a scorer is needed, and specifically one with a quick release and good anticipation of where someone like Barkov will put the puck.

However, on speed I guess I'm going to be a bit contrarian. We have players with enough speed IMO, but it's our passing and timing that are more lacking. Having said that, the whole team is buying into Gallant's system, and they ARE getting better, as results show. The reason why we don't see the results fully yet is because of the competition. The other team isn't going to let our young guys to just show off their new system and skills without interference. Our guys need to get to that next level where they can change plays on the fly. The elite guys are able to do this, but you need everyone on the team capable of supporting the elite guys. One Barkov won't get it done, just like one Toews wouldn't get it done.

I'm not against trying to trade for a scorer stud, but until the team gets to the next level, that stud won't do what he did somewhere else on an overall better team. The team needs lots of practice and game time together. Results aren't instantaneous.

I'm actually very much ok with where the team is going and where it's at. If we miss playoffs by a couple of points, I'll be pissed, but it'll also mean that we've improved a lot from last year. Coach Gallant needs a lot of credit.

Nice post.

I agree.

We need a "shoot first" player with a goal-scorers touch, but it's not as simple as adding one to the roster and then 'presto' ... scoring problems solved.

harv33173

Oct 5, 2003
good posts! i too think this team is progressing. we are a touch slow compared to elite teams and of course our skill level is not equivalent to elite teams, but we are going to get there. i'm a bit disappointed in huby offensively. hayes and bugs have been really good. pirri has regressed and trochek while good can be better offensively. we have to hope our prospects improve as the season progresses, our goaltending and d continue being stellar and our offense steps up. i think our depth in the org. are good and don't want to lose it. as i said i think an elite scorer is a pipe dream unless we gut our future, so i'm content with seeing the development of the team as long as we keep the tenacity. saying that i would not be adverse to a trade for a scorer if it didn't take too much away from our depth. bottom line is i like what i see and have trust in dale and gallant.

Georgia Panther

Aug 2, 2005
BufordGA/FranklinNC
Guess Who?

Just popped in to say I'm still alive and posted this proposal on the trade rumors board. Boyes and our number one to Colorado for Iginla. Basically we're replacing Boyes with Iginla, who I think is an upgrade on Boyes plus a tremendous leader and would be a great mentor to our young forwards. For that upgrade we're giving up what figures to be a middle of the pack 1st, not our usual top 3. Iginla is older than Boyes and 1 more year than Boyes on his contract but keeps in great shape and is still productive. Has a NMC so would have to agree to trade but Colorado not going anywhere this season. Laugh and flame away.:laugh::shakehead

Erased

Jun 18, 2014
By all means if we can add elite talent through free agency or a trade, do it. I just don't have the same feeling I did earlier this year in that we HAVE to make a deal. I really think our future in goaltending needs to be addressed so we can avoid a disaster in that area.

What would it cost us to land a Hossa or Carter or Nash(hypothetically)?

Campbell@50% one of Shore/Pirri/Trocheck/Huberdeau and our 2015 1st. Depending on the player that would likely be the starting point.

Erick*

So you don't think getting Taylor Hall or Evander Kane will make us start scoring 10 goals per game? :sarcasm:

The difference between an awful offensive team (the Panthers) and a league average offensive team is approximately .6 goals per game.

Yes, one very good offensive player can make such a difference to a team.

People seem to forget the impact an added goal has on a hockey game. Just look at our games -- the majority are one goal games. There is so much parity in the league these days. Adding a legit scoring line player can turn this team from a bubble team to a legit Stanley Cup contender. Especially with the style of hockey we play, it should translate well to playoff hockey. The defensive system and goaltending are in place. The problem is clear. Why not go for it this year at this point?

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
The difference between an awful offensive team (the Panthers) and a league average offensive team is approximately .6 goals per game.

Yes, one very good offensive player can make such a difference to a team.

People seem to forget the impact an added goal has on a hockey game. Just look at our games -- the majority are one goal games. There is so much parity in the league these days. Adding a legit scoring line player can turn this team from a bubble team to a legit Stanley Cup contender. Especially with the style of hockey we play, it should translate well to playoff hockey. The defensive system and goaltending are in place. The problem is clear. Why not go for it this year at this point?

Well we now have big Jimmy the machine gun Hayes so we're okay for goal scoring.

Juggernaut27

#CatsHasCupNow?
Apr 29, 2014
Vancouver
If the Avalanche are trending downwards come deadline, what would it take to snag a guy like Iginla?

According to the main board there is nothing that could get Iggy as he's got a NTC and it would look bad on the GM to trade a new FA signing.

That said, if he wants out at the deadline and we are looking like a serious contender (not likely this year) it probably wouldn't take much.

BeezKnees

Jun 4, 2010
Orlando, FL
According to the main board there is nothing that could get Iggy as he's got a NTC and it would look bad on the GM to trade a new FA signing.

That said, if he wants out at the deadline and we are looking like a serious contender (not likely this year) it probably wouldn't take much.

For some reason i thought it was a 1-year deal, but it's actually 3. Nvm!!

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Seems everyone giving a first round pick has won the trade.

Sry to be a pain, should this be merged with the fantasy trade thread?

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
We need our draft picks to live up to their draft spots.

2010 has two of the three first round picks in the NHL already.

Gudbranson was a raw CHL player that took awhile to get acclimated to the NHL. Now in his fourth year he's looking like a top 4 guy who is a physical defensive guy. Would of could of should of at his draft spot, but at least he's improving and now an asset on the ice.
Bjugstad is probably our best forward. Has a great shot, and actually shoots the puck. Still has some work to do on his overall game but no complaints on where he's at right now.
Howden is in the AHL, and injured. Hoping he can be an effective bottom 6 guy next year.

Huberdeau had a brillant rookie year, that started off so well he still won the calder after getting injured halfway through that year. After that, he looked like a fringe NHL player due to injuries and who knows. Don't know what's wrong with him, but he has to improve a lot of facets to his game.

Hopefully Matheson signs his ELC next year. Has looked good in BC.

Barkov is struggling offensively, but still brings his A game defensively. Think it's confidence in the offensive zone/inability to gain chemistry with better offensive players.

^ Those guys are the building blocks we need to improve to get over the edge. We can add a guy like Sharp, who would help no doubt. But his impact won't take us as far compared to these guys stepping up and becoming, or coming close, to the guys we thought they would pan out to be.

PanthersHockey1

South by Southeast
Mar 11, 2010
Palm Trees
Parlaying this over from GDT about huberdeau.

If someone offered me a perennial 30 goal scorer and part of the package back had to be either huberdeau/barkov.

I would choose huberdeau 10 times out of 10.

Would you agree?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad