News Article: What We Learned: Lavish Leafs make more dubious decisions

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
So why did you focus on and choose to call out the doom and gloom extreme vs the pollyanna extreme?

is Marleau playing another full year pollyana though? it's not. it's more likely he can (just like Kessel could, just like if it wasn't for massive hack on Sedin, he'd still be going) - than it is for him to blow out the knee.

and if you actually read what i was saying - I wasn't even focusing on marleau. it was how GILMOUR hurt his knee. you made it sound like oh no, this can happen to Marleau, Gilmour, and I was pointing out how GILMOUR got hurt. and how he got hurt could have happened to anyone. it wasn't an age thing, it wasn't a "if he was younger it wouldn't have happened at all" thing. it was freak play.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I find it amusing that in less than one page, we went from the threat of a Marleau injury to philosophy, poetry and sweet everyday stories. :laugh:

Welcome to Canada where no subject stays on topic for more than 30 seconds... :) ... we're a friendly bunch.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
that's so not true, in fact,
oh hey, squirrels!

6589247-funny-quotes-about-add.jpg

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
So why did you focus on and choose to call out the doom and gloom extreme vs the pollyanna extreme?

Probably because you pulled out the stopwatch and have been holding it out bout his health ever since he has been signed. You are championing the "Marleau is on borrowed time" doomsday narrative.

If I just suddenly start writing 600 posts saying "eventually old people start going senile and Lou is really old, but also he could be just fine!" I'm not going to be credited as the person professing that Lou will be just fine. I'm obviously the one starting a doomsday narrative about his age and decision making.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Probably because you pulled out the stopwatch and have been holding it out bout his health ever since he has been signed. You are championing the "Marleau is on borrowed time" doomsday narrative.

If I just suddenly start writing 600 posts saying "eventually old people start going senile and Lou is really old, but also he could be just fine!" I'm not going to be credited as the person professing that Lou will be just fine. I'm obviously the one starting a doomsday narrative about his age and decision making.

Only 24 NHL players .... ever .... have played in more than 500 consecutive NHL games. Marleau is one of those.

And do you know what happened to the majority of that extremely small sample? They got injured eventually.

You think I am on injury watch here. That's boring duty. It is most likely going to happen.

That's not me offering an amazing prediction and wanting to be vindicated, it's objectively looking at the data.

And honestly if this were the NHL 20 years ago, it wouldn't really matter.

But we have a cap and we generally can't replace a guy unless he is gone for the season.

It's a big risk for what I perceive to be a key role in the team.

It's all objective. It's a conclusion based on those objective details.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
is Marleau playing another full year pollyana though? it's not. it's more likely he can (just like Kessel could, just like if it wasn't for massive hack on Sedin, he'd still be going) - than it is for him to blow out the knee.

To assume that he will play 870 consecutive NHL games by the time his contract runs out in Toronto and putting him 4th on the list of consecutive games played is IMO a Pollyanna extreme.

That would be an incredibly hard milestone to achieve. Not impossible but one that requires a lot of things... including an aging body... to go the right way.

Just as blowing a knee in his first shift is an extreme.

I just find it interesting that you chose to pick out the negative extreme and then get behind the doom and gloom narrative that I am supposedly pushing.

You do realize that I said it was done. Cross your fingers. Sit back and get behind the team? (Page 6).

Was that too negative?

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Only 24 NHL players .... ever .... have played in more than 500 consecutive NHL games. Marleau is one of those.

And do you know what happened to the majority of that extremely small sample? They got injured eventually.

You think I am on injury watch here. That's boring duty. It is most likely going to happen.

That's not me offering an amazing prediction and wanting to be vindicated, it's objectively looking at the data.

And honestly if this were the NHL 20 years ago, it wouldn't really matter.

But we have a cap and we generally can't replace a guy unless he is gone for the season.

It's a big risk for what I perceive to be a key role in the team.

It's all objective. It's a conclusion based on those objective details.

This is not an informative reply to the point I was making in the post you quoted. It was just the same song you've been singing for weeks.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
To assume that he will play 870 consecutive NHL games by the time his contract runs out in Toronto and putting him 4th on the list of consecutive games played is IMO a Pollyanna extreme.

That would be an incredibly hard milestone to achieve. Not impossible but one that requires a lot of things... including an aging body... to go the right way.

Just as blowing a knee in his first shift is an extreme.

I just find it interesting that you chose to pick out the negative extreme and then get behind the doom and gloom narrative that I am supposedly pushing.

You do realize that I said it was done. Cross your fingers. Sit back and get behind the team? (Page 6).

Was that too negative?

Daisy did say she thinks he will miss about 7 games per year. She is not beating the Ironman drum.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Daisy did say she thinks he will miss about 7 games per year. She is not beating the Ironman drum.

This is true. And I expect 10 :)

But at issue were the two extremes that I offered. Iron man vs injury on first shift.

She focused on and called me out on the second. In asking why she didn't focus on the first with equal distain, she replied:

I was giving the background to the "playing another full year." Which is clearly not an easy proposition. One that she herself doesn't believe in but didn't immediately challenge as the focus was on my "doom and gloom" portrayal of the second.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
This is not an informative reply to the point I was making in the post you quoted. It was just the same song you've been singing for weeks.

I'm sorry you don't find objective details to be informative.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
This is true. And I expect 10 :)

But at issue were the two extremes that I offered. Iron man vs injury on first shift.

She focused on and called me out on the second. In asking why she didn't focus on the first with equal distain, she replied:

I was giving the background to the "playing another full year." Which is clearly not an easy proposition. One that she herself doesn't believe in but didn't immediately challenge as the focus was on my "doom and gloom" portrayal of the second.

I shouldn't speak for her but I think her "at issue" with your theory is you assume because he is older he will automatically get injured, while a safe assumption for most players, maybe Marleau is just that exception to the old geezer rule?

Maybe you are just being a dog on a bone right now and in the end it really matters not because I don't see a right or a wrong in you'z two (thank you Nfld) debate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad