News Article: What We Learned: Lavish Leafs make more dubious decisions

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Eeyore's so lovable though. Too bad that can't be said for the doom and gloom crowd.

That Gilmour injury was such a bad omen. I remember when it happened, I just knew the Leafs were toast. And I was getting my hopes up too. It's just incredible all the crap this fan base has been through over the 45 years I've been watching. I'm just so happy it's over, the doom and gloom crowd can go **** up a rope as far as I'm concerned. :laugh:

Doom and gloom crowd? Interesting exercise of applying a label because of some need I guess.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I think the Conference/Team adjustment will be balanced out by his familiarity with the Coach.

I also imagine he was pretty settled in/content where he was which could stagnate one a bit. By all appearances the youthful energy on this Team seems pretty infectious.

I feel the same way. It was an interesting thought though, play all your career in SJ, now a new conference etc., worth thinking about anyway IMO.

okay fine.
like unlike most i'm not going to fret and wail if he gets hurt. the average NHL players misses roughly 7 -9 games a season (the medium).

but to say that he could blow his knee out like Gilmour is fearmongering if you asked me. you literally can say that about anyone on the team. Gilmour stepped onto the ice for his first shift, got clobbered and his knee blew. one bad hit. that could happen to Rielly. why not say that about him? (and Rielly has a lot more knee issues than Marleau does). Is it because Rielly's younger so why does that apply?

but then again. ultimately. unlike most. i don't think older players turn into crap, regardless of 'science' and 'age'. not dismissing it takes longer to recover, my own aches and bruises attest to this. but i also don't think you can cite "Gilmour's knee" as a buyer beware situation either.

Agreed.

Doom and gloom crowd? Interesting exercise of applying a label because of some need I guess.

It's just an expression. It was probably a poor choice of words though. Thanks for pointing it out, I'll try again:

Saying Marleau could blow his knee out like Gilmour did in his first shift after coming back to the Leafs is unjustified paranoia. Better?

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
It's just an expression. It was probably a poor choice of words though. Thanks for pointing it out, I'll try again:

Saying Marleau could blow his knee out like Gilmour did in his first shift after coming back to the Leafs is unjustified paranoia. Better?

Ya, probably. Injuries can happen to any player. Probably something that you can't worry about too much about.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Ya, probably. Injuries can happen to any player. Probably something that you can't worry about too much about.

Agreed. I think most people are very pleased with this acquisition. I'm more skeptical than most and I definitely have my reservations but I see no need to worry about freak accidents.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013

I think Pookie is making and assumption (I don't want to speak for you) that the older you are the more likely you are to be injured. Which fitting that description (older) I can attest, sleeping is an effort now a days, my back feels like a pretzel when I wake up, that is a fair assumption but I digress. I mean the other day I was doing a chest workout and I strained my knee... YEAH being older is fun ... :shakehead

If being 38 means you are more likely to get injured, then being 37, 36, 35, 34, 33, 32 should mean the same thing and although being older than most players, he was able to avoid the injury bug, even though he should be more prone to injuries.

Sometimes people just train right and just have the body type to be the exception to the rule. There is almost always an exception to almost every rule of thumb.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I think Pookie is making and assumption (I don't want to speak for you) that the older you are the more likely you are to be injured. Which fitting that description (older) I can attest, sleeping is an effort now a days, my back feels like a pretzel when I wake up, that is a fair assumption but I digress. I mean the other day I was doing a chest workout and I strained my knee... YEAH being older is fun ... :shakehead

If being 38 means you are more likely to get injured, then being 37, 36, 35, 34, 33, 32 should mean the same thing and although being older than most players, he was able to avoid the injury bug, even though he should be more prone to injuries.

Sometimes people just train right and just have the body type to be the exception to the rule. There is almost always an exception to almost every rule of thumb.

Yes a reverse Lupul:) Strong, trains right, plays a game that does not expose him to risks, and has fortunate DNA. That is also why he still has the good wheels at his age.

I am more worried he loses his game than that he gets injured. A little bit of strength and a little bit of reaction time every year and then he is unable to produce, because he isn't Sakic or Selanne. He seems a pretty safe bet to score over 20 this year though, and year 3 will likely see him in a vastly diminished role so to me year 2 is the concern. There are precedents for strong 39 year old seasons though, so no point in stewing over it.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
but to say that he could blow his knee out like Gilmour is fearmongering if you asked me.

You know what's interesting to me?

I offered two extremes. One, "he could crush the iron man record" and two, "Gilmour 2.0"

You focused on option 2 calling it fear mongering. There's another option in there. Re-read it if you missed it.

Then the "doom and gloom" crowd brush is used. Along with words to try to characterize my opinion as "unjustified paranoia." Which is weird when the fact is that there are just 24 players in the history of NHL players (according to google there are 6,224 players who have played in the NHL) to ever play in more than 500 consecutive games. <1%.

In this world, seems that facts aren't accepted as facts.

Is he beating the odds? Yep. Is it likely he will continue to do so... probably not but who knows. There may be outliers. But that's not "unjustified" that's what "odds" are all about.

Regardless, anyone care to acknowledge that there was another... positive... option offered?

Naw. Guess not. I guess painting a picture that one wants to see vs what really is passes as discussion.

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009
Yes a reverse Lupul:) Strong, trains right, plays a game that does not expose him to risks, and has fortunate DNA. That is also why he still has the good wheels at his age.

I am more worried he loses his game than that he gets injured. A little bit of strength and a little bit of reaction time every year and then he is unable to produce, because he isn't Sakic or Selanne. He seems a pretty safe bet to score over 20 this year though, and year 3 will likely see him in a vastly diminished role so to me year 2 is the concern. There are precedents for strong 39 year old seasons though, so no point in stewing over it.

Most importantly he played for a team that played a safe game. San Jose was frequently among the "luckiest" teams in man-games lost to injury, that likely has a lot to do with their slower grinding style. A slower grindfest between LA and SJS is going to result in less injuries than a high-speed Pittsburgh vs Tampa game.

As long as we continue improving our transition game and avoid getting pinned down in our own zone for extended periods of time, we should continue to offer one of the safer in-game environments in the league for our players.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
You know what's interesting to me?

I offered two extremes. One, "he could crush the iron man record" and two, "Gilmour 2.0"

You focused on option 2 calling it fear mongering. There's another option in there. Re-read it if you missed it.

Then the "doom and gloom" crowd brush is used. Along with words to try to characterize my opinion as "unjustified paranoia." Which is weird when the fact is that there are just 24 players in the history of NHL players (according to google there are 6,224 players who have played in the NHL) to ever play in more than 500 consecutive games. <1%.

In this world, seems that facts aren't accepted as facts.

Is he beating the odds? Yep. Is it likely he will continue to do so... probably not but who knows. There may be outliers. But that's not "unjustified" that's what "odds" are all about.

Regardless, anyone care to acknowledge that there was another... positive... option offered?

Naw. Guess not. I guess painting a picture that one wants to see vs what really is passes as discussion.

yes you did. but it doesn't matter to me personally if he sets an iron man record. I also stated the average NHL players misses 7-9 games. I don't personally think Marleau sets some kind of iron man record, any more than I think he'll blow out his knee. I'd argue that in his 3 years here he'll probably should he get injured or anything, unless it's a freak accident (say a puck to the bone, a really bad hit, bad infections etc), he'll miss his league average 7-9 games and we'll move on. an average that isn't determined by age either.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013

Funny you mention the sleep thing. That is something that does occur, and has in my life. Ya, getting older and watching the changes that occur is certainly interesting. I think we never want to view ourselves as old, or our bodies as diminishing. But, its something that we all face and will have to endure eventually.

Generally speaking, I don't mind a person who throws out ideas that are different. It gets us to think about things, and perhaps learn or understand things that we may not have ourselves considered or realized. I see it as generally a positive thing, and something to be embraced versus something to avoid.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Then the "doom and gloom" crowd brush is used. .

l219520886.jpg

LOL sorry Pookie, I couldn't resist.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
yes you did. but it doesn't matter to me personally if he sets an iron man record. I also stated the average NHL players misses 7-9 games. I don't personally think Marleau sets some kind of iron man record, any more than I think he'll blow out his knee. I'd argue that in his 3 years here he'll probably should he get injured or anything, unless it's a freak accident (say a puck to the bone, a really bad hit, bad infections etc), he'll miss his league average 7-9 games and we'll move on. an average that isn't determined by age either.

So why did you focus on and choose to call out the doom and gloom extreme vs the pollyanna extreme?

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Funny you mention the sleep thing. That is something that does occur, and has in my life. Ya, getting older and watching the changes that occur is certainly interesting. I think we never want to view ourselves as old, or our bodies as diminishing. But, its something that we all face and will have to endure eventually.

Generally speaking, I don't mind a person who throws out ideas that are different. It gets us to think about things, and perhaps learn or understand things that we may not have ourselves considered or realized. I see it as generally a positive thing, and something to be embraced versus something to avoid.

Yup even bought one of those top end new mattress that you see on TV announcing how they change your life...... uh its all marketing cause I feel no better.

Pookie is definitely playing devils advocate, which is cool in my books cause he usually backs it up with "evidence". Although I think Marleau would fall under the freak of nature category, just blessed with good DNA IMO.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
It's ok :)

If they focused on my comment about possibly "smashing iron man records" I suppose that's Pollyanna... but that's accepted as likely ... despite the odds.

If we ever have an avatar bet , you know which pic I'm gonna get you to use right .. :)

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013

No kidding.

I put my golf bag down at the front door and my coccyx (tailbone) hurt for 2 days. Couldn't sit, hurt to cough... and how do you explain that?

Yeah, see there was this bar fight... ? No one is buying that.

It sucks to have to explain... yeah, I was carrying about 20 pounds but didn't properly bend or haven't been stretching.

And outside of that, going to work with stiff necks sore backs and the younger crowd asks... what happened? It's been years since I played Ultimate or Mountain biked... but I'm thinking of taking them up again as it sounds a lot better than saying... yeah, I slept too long on my left side.. or didn't use a pillow between my legs. That's me. Middle name is danger.... that's what I get.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

I'm at that age where I think everyone else my age looks 10 years older than I do. ;)

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
No kidding.

I put my golf bag down at the front door and my coccyx (tailbone) hurt for 2 days. Couldn't sit, hurt to cough... and how do you explain that?

Yeah, see there was this bar fight... ? No one is buying that.

It sucks to have to explain... yeah, I was carrying about 20 pounds but didn't properly bend or haven't been stretching.

And outside of that, going to work with stiff necks sore backs and the younger crowd asks... what happened? It's been years since I played Ultimate or Mountain biked... but I'm thinking of taking them up again as it sounds a lot better than saying... yeah, I slept too long on my left side.. or didn't use a pillow between my legs. That's me. Middle name is danger.... that's what I get.

Keep up the stretching and playing golf. Its what keeps us young in mind, even if our bodies don't follow the same path. I'm sure you will.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Yup even bought one of those top end new mattress that you see on TV announcing how they change your life...... uh its all marketing cause I feel no better.

Pookie is definitely playing devils advocate, which is cool in my books cause he usually backs it up with "evidence". Although I think Marleau would fall under the freak of nature category, just blessed with good DNA IMO.

Speaking of a bet... maybe we carry this one through the season.

I will take the over on missing 10 games due to injury this next season.

?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
That's good! I wish I could say the same thing. LOL.

I say it half in jest. I think it's an old joke of sorts but I also remember reading about a study which found that on average, people tend to see themselves as 10 years younger than they really are. And when I look at people my age, I definitely think they tend to look older than I am - it's probably a typical human psychological fallacy, sort of like groupthink. Wait, I didn't mean to go there again, just forget I said that. :laugh:

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I'm at that age where I think everyone else my age looks 10 years older than I do. ;)

The twenty something that was cutting my hair said i looked in my mid thirties, she was either looking for a sugar daddy or a good tip... I gave her the 20 dollar tip.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
The twenty something that was cutting my hair said i looked in my mid thirties, she was either looking for a sugar daddy or a good tip... I gave her the 20 dollar tip.

I went into the LCBO one time and the person in front was carded. When it was my turn to pay, I asked the cashier if she would card me.

She smiled and asked jokingly. I said, ok, I get it... but do me a favour... next time I come in here with my wife... can you ask for my ID?

Low and behold she did. My wife's jaw dropped and I just smiled... it's the simple things in life that can make your day.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

Yeah it's a pretty common phrase I think in the English language (and yes, I've had it said to me on a few occasions) - "you realize they work for tips right"?

You never know though, sometimes if you're feeling something, they're feeling something too. This probably isn't the place for it but I can't resist, this is one of my favourite poems:

It rests me to be among beautiful women
Why should one always lie about such matters?
I repeat:
It rests me to converse with beautiful women
Even though we talk nothing but nonsense,

The purring of the invisible antennae
Is both stimulating and delightful.

I went into the LCBO one time and the person in front was carded. When it was my turn to pay, I asked the cashier if she would card me.

She smiled and asked jokingly. I said, ok, I get it... but do me a favour... next time I come in here with my wife... can you ask for my ID?

Low and behold she did. My wife's jaw dropped and I just smiled... it's the simple things in life that can make your day.

:laugh: That's actually pretty funny.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2