What We Learned: Avs/Preds

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I learned that even though our defense still looks very shaky, 2 goals in 2 games feels pretty good.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I learned that if you don't notice Guenin much, he's probably playing ok.

Foppa Frossa

May 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I learned that my DVR didn't record the first airing of the game at all (0GB file) and when I tried to record the rerun, it recorded high school football.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Barrie might not be ready to be our #2 defenseman. I think Wilson will help our defense a lot.

I think people are finally starting to figure out that first part, but need to see Wilson again as the #2 before they figure out he's not gonna be much help either.

Right now Benoit might be the Avs first or second best D along with EJ. That's saying something. They need help, and they need these guys like Barrie, Wilson, and even Benoit playing lesser roles.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
I think we learned that we're not a team anymore that will just give up leads without a fight. We also learned it's not easy to turn a PP around. Our PP really needs work.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I think we learned that we're not a team anymore that will just give up leads without a fight. We also learned it's not easy to turn a PP around. Our PP really needs work.

They desperately need a QB to control the play from the backend. EJ, Barrie, and Benoit all move the puck around a little, and shoot every now and then, but they need someone to basically run the show back there. None of them really do that well enough.

There's too many chefs in the kitchen on the PP, they need a guy to direct things.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
They desperately need a QB to control the play from the backend. EJ, Barrie, and Benoit all move the puck around a little, and shoot every now and then, but they need someone to basically run the show back there. None of them really do that well enough.

There's too many chefs in the kitchen on the PP, they need a guy to direct things.

Liles? :sarcasm:

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
We really need someone other than PAP that can bring a puck into the zone and establish the PP. EJ should really just be the big gun on the PP because otherwise he is useless there. If he can just remaster that one timer like he did in st.louis, he would be a great weapon.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
We really need someone other than PAP that can bring a puck into the zone and establish the PP. EJ should really just be the big gun on the PP because otherwise he is useless there. If he can just remaster that one timer like he did in st.louis, he would be a great weapon.

I don't think there is anything wrong with EJ's onetimer. He let one go last night wide. He wasn't really moving on the PP, and neither were the other guys. You need movement to open the lanes. There were a few times that Stastny or someone had it on the sidewall, and EJ stood still with the Nashville player in the passing lane, and he was still calling for the pass. If you don't know enough to move and get open there then you probably shouldn't even be on the PP.

Nonetheless, he still has the heavy shot, so they need to work on opening lanes for him to get it through.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

Nah, not with three years left.

I keep telling everyone, but Barrie is Liles. They are very very similar, and even play D very similarly. No reason to have two of the same player.

Barrie's just a bit more shifty, and quick with his puck movement. That's a detriment to him though IMO, and Patrick alluded to the same thing saying he needs to keep things more simple, and be more patient. When he does that, he will look exactly like Liles.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
We can't have both Liles and Barrie in the same lineup.

The quest continues for a true #1 guy. When/if that finally happens, you'll see Barrie flourish. He's a perfect complementary/2nd pairing guy, much like Kevin Shattenkirk is doing wonders for the Blues because he doesn't have to shoulder the load with Pietrangelo in the lineup. But right now, EJ is merely adequate, and Hejda is just...Hejda. He's definitely the most frustrating D-man to watch right now, not Barrie. Guenin and Benoit continue to surprise, on the other hand.

I don't think the problem with the PP is a lack of a QB. Benoit and Barrie will be fine in that department. The problem is getting a guy who will clear bodies in front of the net, create deflections, and get rebounds. Right now the only guy doing that is Bordeleau, and look what happened there! Too often during the PP the team was moving the puck around great, but just couldn't get shots through traffic, and when they tried to force a cross-ice pass, bad things happened. McGinn is a good crash-the-net type forward, but he's not a guy who's just gonna stand in the slot and take punishment.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
I learned that my DVR didn't record the first airing of the game at all (0GB file) and when I tried to record the rerun, it recorded high school football.

I had issues as well...I recorded it, but all I got was a black screen. Debating on if it was just something weird or I need to call Directv.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Altitude was screwed up and many people didn't get the broadcast so I don't think it was an issue on your end unless it happens again.

When MacK gets regular time on the PP what would be the best role for him?

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Altitude was screwed up and many people didn't get the broadcast so I don't think it was an issue on your end unless it happens again.

When MacK gets regular time on the PP what would be the best role for him?

Take it from someone who used to work in the Cable industry, last night wasn't Altitude's fault, it was the fault of the individual cable/satellite operator.

Believe it or not, Cable companies still get their signals broadcast to them via satellite, so if that operator has a problem with their main satellite receiver then that means that their customers are going to have problems.

Case in point, I had no problem getting the Altitude feed on Center Ice last night, but as I understood it customers on Comcast Xfinity and DirecTV had problems, that, to me, would say that those specific companies had issues receiving the transmission.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA

I had issues as well...I recorded it, but all I got was a black screen. Debating on if it was just something weird or I need to call Directv.

My cable feed was out all game so I had to watch off my computer.

From the little blip of dialog early between Haynes, McNab and the unheard control room they knew they were out. Haynes said he was getting texts from home about it. McNab I believe said "Oh my God" in a very disgusted tone. :laugh:

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Take it from someone who used to work in the Cable industry, last night wasn't Altitude's fault, it was the fault of the individual cable/satellite operator.

Believe it or not, Cable companies still get their signals broadcast to them via satellite, so if that operator has a problem with their main satellite receiver then that means that their customers are going to have problems.

Case in point, I had no problem getting the Altitude feed on Center Ice last night, but as I understood it customers on Comcast Xfinity and DirecTV had problems, that, to me, would say that those specific companies had issues receiving the transmission.

True, we just had a massive storm in Wyo, so I knew there would be issues.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Yeah I know it was a Comcast issue especially since they had the rebroadcast just fine. I didn't know it affected other providers as well. But my point was it wasn't the customer's issue.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
We can't have both Liles and Barrie in the same lineup.

The quest continues for a true #1 guy. When/if that finally happens, you'll see Barrie flourish. He's a perfect complementary/2nd pairing guy, much like Kevin Shattenkirk is doing wonders for the Blues because he doesn't have to shoulder the load with Pietrangelo in the lineup. But right now, EJ is merely adequate, and Hejda is just...Hejda. He's definitely the most frustrating D-man to watch right now, not Barrie. Guenin and Benoit continue to surprise, on the other hand.

I don't think the problem with the PP is a lack of a QB. Benoit and Barrie will be fine in that department. The problem is getting a guy who will clear bodies in front of the net, create deflections, and get rebounds. Right now the only guy doing that is Bordeleau, and look what happened there! Too often during the PP the team was moving the puck around great, but just couldn't get shots through traffic, and when they tried to force a cross-ice pass, bad things happened. McGinn is a good crash-the-net type forward, but he's not a guy who's just gonna stand in the slot and take punishment.

Strongly disagree with this. Benoit and Barrie are ok. Nothing special at this point at least. Neither control the play out there. Neither is really playing that "QB" role of directing the PP. They're just a guy playing the point. No one is really "running" the PP. It's just five guys trying to do stuff. That's the problem.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
Strongly disagree with this. Benoit and Barrie are ok. Nothing special at this point at least. Neither control the play out there. Neither is really playing that "QB" role of directing the PP. They're just a guy playing the point. No one is really "running" the PP. It's just five guys trying to do stuff. That's the problem.

I think, the PP looked really good in game 1 so the weaker performance in the 2nd game isn't worrying me. I have learned to trust Roy and I think the PP will be good again against the Leafs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad