What We Learned: Avs/Pens

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
Avs have carolina and the jets the next two games, we could realisticaly go 10-1 to start the season.knock on wood so theres no jinx.

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
It's easy to make fun of Mitchell, but he's solid on faceoffs and not a liability. People talk about his penchant for carrying the puck, but, really, what's he gonna do? Pass to McLeod? His Malkin moves extend possession and help get the puck deep, enabling the other 3 lines to get on the ice. In short, he's what you want out of the 4th line. If the Avs had a recent history of success, we'd be calling him Johnny Yelle.

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
It's easy to make fun of Mitchell, but he's solid on faceoffs and not a liability. People talk about his penchant for carrying the puck, but, really, what's he gonna do? Pass to McLeod? His Malkin moves extend possession and help get the puck deep, enabling the other 3 lines to get on the ice. In short, he's what you want out of the 4th line. If the Avs had a recent history of success, we'd be calling him Johnny Yelle.

Mitchell would fit in pretty well on the third line if we wern't so deep

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
Mitchell would fit in pretty well on the third line if we wern't so deep

Not quite. He's a bottom-six tweener in that he's not all you want on the 3rd line but is serviceable there. And of course he sees himself there. Honestly, he has the ability and can score, but heäs much better off being what he is. That said, ideally you want someone who accepts their role, and Mitchell's big mark against him is that he does not. Still, he's doing well in that now as long as we don't expect that 3rd line stuff from him. Or him also expecting that.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Tanguay has been great addition to this team and I'm really starting to like Tanguay-Stastny-Landeskog. They have been amazing last few games. They are really coming together offensively and they are already great defensively.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Not quite. He's a bottom-six tweener in that he's not all you want on the 3rd line but is serviceable there. And of course he sees himself there. Honestly, he has the ability and can score, but heäs much better off being what he is. That said, ideally you want someone who accepts their role, and Mitchell's big mark against him is that he does not. Still, he's doing well in that now as long as we don't expect that 3rd line stuff from him. Or him also expecting that.

Well for a lot of teams he would be third liner or playing in top-6(when injuries), he's unlucky to be with Colorado. He does have amazing hands though.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I thought Mitchell was very one dimensional with his play last year, and when he was asked to play a more defensive role after O'Reilly took over the 3rd line center spot, he left a lot to be desired.

I've been very impressed with his defensive game this year, and his ability on faceoffs. Neither of those two were very good last year. I'm not sure what clicked this year, but I'm glad it did. He's been very important filling in for MacKinnon on end zone draws, and late in games.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
I thought Mitchell was very one dimensional with his play last year, and when he was asked to play a more defensive role after O'Reilly took over the 3rd line center spot, he left a lot to be desired.

I've been very impressed with his defensive game this year, and his ability on faceoffs. Neither of those two were very good last year. I'm not sure what clicked this year, but I'm glad it did. He's been very important filling in for MacKinnon on end zone draws, and late in games.

You could say to everything, Roy.. This guy changed the team. 100%.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

Malkin's done very well on the 4th line but watching him try and fail miserably to pass when he's out there with top 9ers is painful

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
Biggest thing to take away from that game is that it re-enforces the notion that the Avs D has and will continue to play relatively mistake free hockey and they are going to play within their means rather than trying to be more than what they are.

O'Brien, Hunwick, Zanon, and to a lesser extent O'Byrne all tried to be more than what they were, depth defensemen. That was probably a combo of those players trying too hard and poor coaching by Sacco.

Roy seems content to have players stay within their skill level on the blueline. He knows what they are good at and does not ask for anything more.

Now, all that said, the Avs clearly need a D man or two that CAN do more. They get pinned in their own zone too often still, though they are much better and preventing the great scoring chances, and they could use a bit more creativity on the backend with moving up the ice. The Avs forwards do a majority of the puck movement up the ice. The D men almost always hand the puck off to a forward at the Avs blueline, which does not allow the Avs to spread out the opposing team as much moving up the ice. Again, this is what needs to be done right now, but long term it needs to change.

madman

Deadmarsh Deli Dills
Jun 6, 2009
Steamboat Springs
I don't mind that Mitchell chews up time with puck possession on the 4th line. They always seem to bring good energy after a rough shift from another line too.

Exactly. Mitchell can do the Johnny Malkin act when his passing options are usually McLeod and Bordy; I don't mind it one bit. Besides, he's got a great shot (when he has time to get it off) and allows for the benders to wreak havoc in front of the net and on the forecheck.

He's fine defensively and plays with an edge. He's bigger/more physical than I had realized when we signed him. I like him. He's a lot different than Silent Jay but still very versatile.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
Exactly. Mitchell can do the Johnny Malkin act when his passing options are usually McLeod and Bordy; I don't mind it one bit. Besides, he's got a great shot (when he has time to get it off) and allows for the benders to wreak havoc in front of the net and on the forecheck.

He's fine defensively and plays with an edge. He's bigger/more physical than I had realized when we signed him. I like him. He's a lot different than Silent Jay but still very versatile.

McLeod isn't completely bereft of offensive skill, though. He can bury the puck occasionally. If Mitchell could dish it off to him once in a while, it forces the defense to consider that he might -- right now they know Mitchell is going to shoot, and they can defend against that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad