What We Learned: Avs/Pens

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
I learned that we have a much better defense than we are given credit for. Ej and hejda were beasts all game long and guenin shadowed malkin to the point where he was almost inefective.

I learned that the mackinnon line although out played by the crosby line kept them at bay and off the scoresheet.

I learned that the duchene line kept the the malkin line from generating too many chances, almost equal last night. I also saw that our fourth line neutrallized their fourth line and john mitchell may have been the best player of the fourth line with a few nice plays.

What i learned the most is how deep our them is and the stastny, landeskog, and tanguay line generated a lot off scoring chances and scored our game winning goal.

As well, our goalies have been very good and is a sum of the team effort put forth by roy and how good our pk has been, we went from worst in the league to the best in one season.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
I'm tired of the hate on Mitchell. Yeah he's not very good offensively at least not when he's playing with Bordeleau/Cliche/McC but the rest of the time when he gets more minutes, it's always in defensive situations.

This guy is a good penalty killer and of course he's gonna get more minutes because we don't have a proper 3rd line C. MacKinnon can't be used at all in any defensive situation and Roy doesn't wanna split ROR/Duchene and put ROR as a centre. Mitchell works hard during the whole game and no I'm not particularly a fan of him and I'd prefer if we still had Jay McClement but he shouldn't get criticized for being a bad player, he's doing what's asked of him.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I don't mind that Mitchell chews up time with puck possession on the 4th line. They always seem to bring good energy after a rough shift from another line too.

I learned that gameplans are actually nice to have in the NHL.

MvpKinnon

Jul 23, 2011
Helsinki, Finland
I have theories why Mitchell never passes

- He's not on a scoring line. Their job is to kill time.
- His job is to carry the puck to the o-zone. Plain and simple. No fancy plays.
- He sucks at passing and knows it. Hence he doesn't want to become a liability.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Avs penalty kill continues to mostly neutralize high end power plays. They're very well prepared and focus on taking away the oppositions preferred shots.

While obviously having a good goalie is a big key when it comes to having a good PK, I'm impressed with the skaters this far.

Legzdins

Oct 22, 2013
Latvia
I'm curios why EJ gets so little time on pk ? I usually don't pay much attention to TOI, but i was bored so i was looking at some stats from this season and noticed that. I'm kind a choked about this (not that i'm complaining about our PK this season, 7for7 against pens -WOW) because his our ''#1'' D. For example, against pens, our top PK d-men were Hejda- 8:42 (no questions here), Guenin- 7:08, Sarich- 3:09 and saving the best for the last Wilson - 4:55. I think that everybody agrees with me that Wilson has been the worst D on the team. Lot's of giveaways, pretty bad in d-zon and hasn't done anything offensively either. But he has been playing some solid PK, so maybe that's what Roy sees in him. So if we would dress Barrie instead of him, we would be left with 3 PK d-men, assuming that EJ isn't one of them.
P.S. I've been reading these boards for almost 2 years now, but decided do join you guys just today. Also i've been avs fan as long as i can remember, probably since Ozolinsh joined the team.
It has been pretty annoying to get bullied for the last couple of years because of the ***** seasons we've had. But now, now my buddies have nothing to say, they're just asking who scored an then shuts up hahaha :D

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
I have theories why Mitchell never passes

- He's not on a scoring line. Their job is to kill time.
- His job is to carry the puck to the o-zone. Plain and simple. No fancy plays.
- He sucks at passing and knows it. Hence he doesn't want to become a liability.

Who can he pass to? Bordeleau? The play would die right there in most cases. At least Mitchell has a shot. When he passes, it almost always results in a turnover.

member 116861

I'm curios why EJ gets so little time on pk ? I usually don't pay much attention to TOI, but i was bored so i was looking at some stats from this season and noticed that. I'm kind a choked about this (not that i'm complaining about our PK this season, 7for7 against pens -WOW) because his our ''#1'' D. For example, against pens, our top PK d-men were Hejda- 8:42 (no questions here), Guenin- 7:08, Sarich- 3:09 and saving the best for the last Wilson - 4:55. I think that everybody agrees with me that Wilson has been the worst D on the team. Lot's of giveaways, pretty bad in d-zon and hasn't done anything offensively either. But he has been playing some solid PK, so maybe that's what Roy sees in him. So if we would dress Barrie instead of him, we would be left with 3 PK d-men, assuming that EJ isn't one of them.
P.S. I've been reading these boards for almost 2 years now, but decided do join you guys just today. Also i've been avs fan as long as i can remember, probably since Ozolinsh joined the team.
It has been pretty annoying to get bullied for the last couple of years because of the ***** seasons we've had. But now, now my buddies have nothing to say, they're just asking who scored an then shuts up hahaha :D

I think it has to do with every d-man getting a role with the special teams. Hejda, Guenin, Sarich and Wilson get PK time while Johnson and Benoit get PP time.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I think it has to do with every d-man getting a role with the special teams. Hejda, Guenin, Sarich and Wilson get PK time while Johnson and Benoit get PP time.

Same too with the forwards, right? The top 9 except McGinn gets PP time but he does PK with Mitchell and McLeod (Cliche) and O'Reilly does both.

It really is amazing seeing Roy's plan come together. It's mind blowing after what we've endured.

Last edited:

member 116861

Same too with the forwards, right? The top 9 except McGinn gets PP time but he does PK with Mitchell and McLeod (Cliche) and O'Reilly does both.

It really is amazing seeing Roy's plan come together. It's mind blowing after what we've endured.

Yeah it is the same with the forwards. Stastny, Landy and Tanguay also occasionally kill penalties. The only guy on the team who doesn't see any ice time for special teams is Bordeleau but I think we all know why.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
Yeah it is the same with the forwards. Stastny, Landy and Tanguay also occasionally kill penalties. The only guy on the team who doesn't see any ice time for special teams is Bordeleau but I think we all know why.

Staz has actually begun to kill a bit more later on. Haven't seen Lando on the PK at all, but perhaps that's just me. Tangs has been there though which I'm a bit surprised about cause we still have Matty and Lando who could do it as well.

Wasn't it Tanguay who completely neutralized Ovy on their PPs against WSH?

AMDZen

ME in the RED Circle
Apr 7, 2010
Denver
Home.Page.ZeN
Staz has actually begun to kill a bit more later on. Haven't seen Lando on the PK at all, but perhaps that's just me. Tangs has been there though which I'm a bit surprised about cause we still have Matty and Lando who could do it as well.

Wasn't it Tanguay who completely neutralized Ovy on their PPs against WSH?

That was Staz

jaems

Apr 16, 2006
I'm tired of the hate on Mitchell. Yeah he's not very good offensively at least not when he's playing with Bordeleau/Cliche/McC but the rest of the time when he gets more minutes, it's always in defensive situations.

Wait, people expect offense from John Mitchell? It's John Mitchell. He is who we thought he is. At best, a twentyish point player who is a fourth liner.

Gumballhead

Nov 18, 2002
Chicago
scotchhorns.bandcamp.com
Mitchell's been a very important part of the team defense this year, good on the PK and responsible otherwise. Yeah, he always dekes and tries to take on outnumbered situations, but at least he's got some skill there. I like him more this year than last, he fits in quite well. Mitchell is pretty damn talented for a 4th line center and he works hard. I doubt Malone would be doing the same job as he does. I trust Roy's vision for this team so far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad