What was your first car?

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
My first car in 1995 was an 89 5L Mustang coupe. I loved the fox body mustang and had it for 14 years and still regret parting with it to buy a brand new rx8 in 2009 that’s already blown a motor and been sold off.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
1984 Dodge Colt. 5 speed.

Funny story. The drivers seat was "stuck" in one position. The rails were so rusted that the seat didnt move. The person who owned the car must have been short. I'm pretty tall ... 6'1. I literally had to shift from 1st to 2nd to 3rd with my leg OVER the top of the shifter. Once I went to 3rd to 4th to 5th to reverse, it was fine. But when the shifter was to the farthest left, I had to sneak my leg over the top.

I loved that car. So awful but my first baby.

coupe89

Jan 25, 2006
PEI
My first car in 1995 was an 89 5L Mustang coupe. I loved the fox body mustang and had it for 14 years and still regret parting with it to buy a brand new rx8 in 2009 that’s already blown a motor and been sold off.

I have had my 89 for 18 years and will never sell it trying to get it back on the road now. Here is a picture from when I first got it. My ex wife and paying for a divorce has helped keep it off the road hope to be driving it again within 2 years.
222217_6194431306_435_n.jpg

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
A 2004 Ford Taurus with 84k miles on it. put about 40k on it before some intoxicated lady pulled in front of me and totaled it.

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
I bought a 1964 Mustang coupe at 13 years old for $405 US, it's still not done (I'm 30).

I had a 1988 Mustang 5.0 GT as the first car of mine that I ever drove - bought it at 15 wrecked and fixed it. Absolute black hole of money. Sold it a decade ago and don't regret it.

My first "daily driver" that I owned, registered and insured in my own name was a 1997 Plymouth Neon in Strawberry Red Pearl Metallic (basically pink). It had the DOHC engine and was somewhat fun, though. Drove it into the ground and sold it for $500, the car owed me nothing.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
‘87 Hyundai Pony. 4 speed, pistol grip, she was beautiful...

Bought it for $500 so I could get to my summer job and save for the car I actually wanted, a 2000 Honda SIR which I bought a year later.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
2004 Audi A4 Avant. Got it 4 years ago, sitting at 260,000 KMs and I hope it lives forever!

The Imp

5-14-6-1
Jul 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
I had a '98 Daewoo Matiz for a summer, when I worked for Coca Cola, stocking shelves. They leased a bunch for us summer helpers, to get us from store to store.

It had a massive 0,8L engine, and was basically made of cardboard. But it was SO quick off the line, due to the low weight. Beat most anything with four wheels on the first 10 meters :)

I obviously didn't own it, but that's the only car I have ever "owned". And I do kind of miss having one.

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
1981 silver Chevrolet Monte Carlo. Burgundy interior. 302 hp I think but might be wrong on that.

My Best-Carey

Telecaster

Aug 18, 2005
Stockholm
A white 1988 Volvo 740 GLT 16 Valve

Bought in -94 when i got my license. I loved it and had it for 3 years, then it was just to many problems with it.

(not mine in the pic)

123.jpg

Afterburner

FREE UKRAINE
Sponsor
Jun 24, 2016
Dimension C-137
1978 green Ford f100. The thing was a pile of crap with Swiss cheese for a box and a piece of plywood in the back to cover the holes. Had a kick ass Alpine stereo system though and some jacked tires. Did me well until I rolled it in the mountains.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I had the exact same car as my first car, haha. Dark Blue 89' 5.0 hatchback though.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD with an automatic trans...

This was somewhere between the first two Fast and Furious movies so I got a lot of props from my High School classmates for having a "fast" import or whatever. Then in front of actual car guys or other DSM (Eclipse/Talon/Laser/etc.) guys, I got bagged for missing a pedal.

Probably not the greatest first car, however... Without my Dad helping me on the financial and mechanical end and having spare vehicles to drive... I would've been riding the bus or bumming rides to work or school for most of my junior and all of my senior year of high school... I had a few people warn me about the reliability of these cars before I bought it, but I didn't listen... Within two months of getting my license, the car needed a radiator, water pump and timing belt and other crap. Within 6 months it toasted an alternator and starter before it finally spun a rod bearing. Put a used motor that apparently had low miles in it, but it ended up having blow by so bad that oil shot out of the dipstick tube during some "spirited" driving and caught fire on the exhaust manifold. The car was fine, but within 2 months of installation, that motor too developed bearing issues. It spent my entire senior year taken apart in my Dads garage while we rebuilt a motor and gathered up the necessary parts to swap the car to a manual. It went back on the road the summer I graduated and I got about 3 good years out of it before I got tired of replacing turbochargers.

I got into a different "fun" car and had planned to sell the Talon, but it instead sat next my Dads garage for a couple years. I dusted it off and fixed it up to take it to finally attend my first DSM Shootout and fell back in love with the cars. Ironically, having an AWD automatic example is all the rage now if you want to build one into a fast car... Back in maybe 2005 I couldn't give away the auto trans related parts that had been pulled off of mine.

I still have it to this day. At least 5 different significant others have ridden shotgun in it, I've commuted to work in it on nice days to various different jobs over the years, the car and my involvement in the whole DSM scene is the root of many of my good friendships today and being into them for 15+ years has seen me accumulate a ridiculous amount of parts for them.... It's not as nice as it once was, but I'll probably never get rid of it.

The picture below is from the summer of 2014. It has less clear coat now.

11817250_10153510888294521_8970015869991703196_n.jpg

Kevs Security

inmateMack/CanesMack/LeafMack/elMacko
May 28, 2018
Toronto, Canada
My first car was the notorious Ford Festiva. Man, did that car suck! Back when I was a struggling actor trying to pay rent at Long Island, that piece of crap was the only car I could afford. It wasn't the safest or the most comfortable automobile available at the time, but I had some fun with it. I actually drove it back to Toronto just a few days after my scene got cut from a major TV-series. Handed the keys to my dear friend Brad and told him to keep good care of my girl. It wasn't long before he decided to get rid of it himself... but I hold no grudges.

Everything worked out fine after all, I decided to stop pursuing my dreams and settled down with a nice woman. Started working as a Corporate Security Investigator and all that stuff. She's my ex nowadays, but you know the old saying: women come and go, but corporate is forever. Am I right fellas?

Anyhow, that Ford was the first car I bought. And if I could go back in time and change some of the things I did, buying that Ford would be one of them. I had some problems with the breaks, and oil leaks alone cost me close to $500 a year. What a waste of money.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
1990 Lincoln continental. The year they went to the front drive 3.8 v6 and full airbag suspension. The interior and ride were fantastic but overall it was a very dull car. Zero power. Poor fuel economy. Just not a true Lincoln. It was like the awkward years for the Continental where they didn’t know if they should keep them as boats or start to transition into the Lincoln LS.

I must have replaced the suspension, compressor and bags three full swaps. Finally the tranny went, wouldn’t shift out of 2nd, would occasionally slip to neutral, and then the head gasket went. I scrapped it at 115k

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad