What was the best "David vs Goliath" fight ever?

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Not really David vs. Goliath, but journeyman 5'10 defenseman Mike Weaver's first NHL fight was against Curtis Glencross

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Felix Potvin didn't necessarily beat Ron Hextall in this one, but he sure as hell didn't lose:

I love the players reaction to goalie fights. They all stop worrying about fighting the guy in front of them and start watching the goalies slug it out instead.

Rypien vs Valabik
Rypien vs Gill
Rypien vs Stortini

Basically Rypien vs anybody. Undoubtedly the best p4p hockey fighter ever.

Rypien vs Prust twice in the same night was a great scrap too. One of my favorites!

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006

Frazer Mclaren was laughing at Josh Georges. Dubas should get Georges out of retirement. Would be the only Leaf capable of playing D and having heart. Something Dubas is allergic to.

Back when Toronto had a spine and Orr took on Asham. Carlyle Orr and Mclaren got just as far in playoffs as the current super Shanna plan team.

Martin being a bully towards Stecher. Now Stecher can take on any Leafs player blind folded and a ref hanging on his arm.

No David wins but a lot of heart shown in these dust ups.

Why do about 4 Canucks players including the goalie go at Martin there? Was something happening earlier in the game?

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
Why do about 4 Canucks players including the goalie go at Martin there? Was something happening earlier in the game?

Martin was manhandling Stecher, who was a rookie then. Ryan Miller took note and when a goalie gets involved, the rest of the team gets involved. I don't remember what caused Martin to snap though.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
I know it never materialized into a fight but I always get a laugh out of watching the replay of Brendan Smith trying to engage Chara into a fight and Chara stands there smiling and laughing at Smith as he tries to get Chara to go. Even Chara couldn't believe Smith was that dumb.

Gotta respect Smith for having either the balls or just the absolute craziness to even want to try it lol.

Smith was ready to go while Chara hid behind his size and dubious reputation. Chara showed his true colours again. Acts tough.

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
Does Kessel trying to cut John Scott down like a tree count as a “fight”? Because that was pretty amusing.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Rypien vs Valabik
Rypien vs Gill
Rypien vs Stortini

Basically Rypien vs anybody. Undoubtedly the best p4p hockey fighter ever.
Absoluetly, 100% disagree with this. Rypien, while a very solid fighter... never engaged the true tough guys the same way a guy like Pj Stock did.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Came here to post this. I was actually at the game and saw it live. I just love how it started with a cocky Valabik getting into Rypien's space, trying to intimidate with his massive size advantage.

Bad move, Boris.
Nonsense IMO.

I understand it’s part of the game but with a jersey over your head, you have a big disadvantage.

Rypien landed all those punches with Valabik not seeing anything.

ted2019

History of Hockey
Oct 3, 2008
pittsgrove nj

Frazer Mclaren was laughing at Josh Georges. Dubas should get Georges out of retirement. Would be the only Leaf capable of playing D and having heart. Something Dubas is allergic to.

Back when Toronto had a spine and Orr took on Asham. Carlyle Orr and Mclaren got just as far in playoffs as the current super Shanna plan team.

Martin being a bully towards Stecher. Now Stecher can take on any Leafs player blind folded and a ref hanging on his arm.

No David wins but a lot of heart shown in these dust ups.

How is Orr beating a smaller Asham David vs. Goliath?

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto

Rinaldo is no David, but the size and weight disparity here was pretty significant. Rinaldo is a small man with very little mass. Impressive he’s able to do what he does.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad