What types of players do you enjoy watching the most?

Hotel Mario

Feb 4, 2013
Thunder Bay
I like watching players that play with I-N-T-E-N-S-I-T-Y and aggression no matter the skills brought to the table. I also enjoy watching 40-30 orange tab wrangler jeans low centre of gravity grinders.

Cannot stand watching the opposite of these players, which is why it would feel like winning the Stanley Cup if the core is gutted especially Kessel, Bozak, Gardiner, and Phaneuf.

LeafsMonster

Marlanderthews
Feb 3, 2012
Toronto
Tucker, Domi, Roberts, Sundin, Mogilny, Belfour, Gilmour, Clark, Potvin, Macoun, Steve Thomas, Nieuwendyk and coaches like Quinn and Burns.

I don't like watching Horachek.

my list is exatly the same up till beflour, the rest are before my time. But man, despite the lack of success with those players, I never got tired of watching them.

My favourite type of player is one that has some skill and physicality, but also pours their heart and soul into every shift. also saw flashes of it with grabo kuli and mac, and lupul and kadri.

Also, just plain dynamic strobg forwards that you can't stop. Ovi most of all, then datsyuk, toews, malkin, crosby. You can see the determination and focus on their faces and they just charge through.

As an aside, I love watching gaudreau for some reason

Last edited:

ConnorTO

Jul 20, 2010
Toronto
i like watching naz cause he's my fav player
great hands and can set people up, but also make cool moves

clarkson is pretty cool to watch because he's expensive...
and has that grind grit style... but also see some good plays time to time

rielly / gards
for the same reason, they like to play offensively and look to get in

and reims cause he's cool

ot. daystuk kane crosby

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand
Doug Gilmour, Wendel Clark, Dave Andreychuk

Give me 4 lines built like that at varying skill level.

Shea Weber, Scott Stevens

Three D pairs built like that at varying skill level.

Perfect team in my dream world

Hrmmm. bro your talking about one of the best centres to play the game in Gilmour. There has never been another player before or since Wendel and even though he was horridly slow Dave was elite with his stick and big enough to be where he needed to be to shovel goals in. He doesn't get enough credit for his accuracy or shot tbh..

Stevens one of the best d-men of his generation and Shea one of the best of his generation....

Anyone would want a team like that....

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand
I like heart and soul guys like Clark but if I was going to build my team around someone it would probably be a guy like Yzerman, the guy was one of the best offensive players in the game. Was asked to become more of a two way centre and became imo the best 2way centre in the game when there were a heck of a lot of great centres in the game. Total team guy and always calm under pressure.

Last edited:

MastuhNinks

Apr 30, 2011
The Iron Throne
I tend like players who can slow the game down and control the pace to their liking. Generally players that are really strong on the puck with good playmaking abilities fit this bill, like Jaromir Jagr, Ryan Getzlaf or Joe Thornton. Jagr's ability to control the puck in tight against guys in their athletic prime at the age of 43 is incredible to watch. An elite two-way defensemen can also control the pace of the game, very much enjoy watching the smart, hard-nosed game of a guy like Shea Weber.

That said I really just like watching quality hockey players in general. Kessel gets a lot of hate but man, when he's on I feel fortunate to be able to watch a guy with one of the best quick release shots out there. And Erik Karlsson might not have the grit that I like to see in elite defensemen, but man watching him rush the puck up the ice is a thing of beauty.

Hunter74

Sep 21, 2004
Roberts, Iginla, Messier, Doughty, Stevens and Phaneuf before the Leafs ruined him.

Really dislike players like Kessel, Gaborik, Karlsson, Cooke and other gutless pests like Lapiere.

Last edited:

Sep 14, 2009
Guelph
Guys who play with some balls: hit, make smart plays, hound the puck, score and take hits. Basically inverse Kessels.

EN4CER

Burn the Boats
Apr 8, 2013
Toronto
Darcy

Tucker was the man and was my favorite player. He wasn't a huge dude, but played with intensity and heart. Dumb ass move by Fletcher to get rid of him, because Burke would have kept him for sure. I haven't been able to pick a favourite player since he left... Even named my dog after him. Guys like Tucker don't come around anymore. It's a shame, because he played the type of hockey I enjoyed and I'm sure most others did too.

The leafs don't have an identity and most of them are not likeable. Komarov is the only one that shows heart and gives it his all every game. Could possibly say the same about Clarkson, but he's just too sh**y to enjoy watching and appreciate.

Last edited:

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
Iginla, Crosby, Getzlaf, Kopitar etc...

Guys who can grind the corners yet have terrific hockey skill to make plays.

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
Really liked one of the previous "dream team" answers, but of past Leafs only, I'l say I loved the high skill but coupled with extreme physical fortitude, will to win, willing to do anything it took to get that puck or score that goal or stop that rush. I don't need tough fighters, just tough players with a will to win that you can see written all over their face.

In goal, Curtis Joseph. Eddie Belfour. Felix Potvin.
At D, Dmitri Yushkevich is all I can think of.
At forward in my top 6 - Gilmour, Sundin, Clarke, Roberts, Andreychuk.
At forward in my bottom 6 - Tucker, Komarov, Santorelli, I'm sure there are more.

Grit with some skill, but most important - will to win, that shows up on the ice.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005

datsyuk ,getzlaf ...i like that young russian on st louis as well as steen ,seth jones when he is on his game is fun ,dustin B o winnipeg and im sure once kessel gets back on track or outta this sh@tshow ill have him on this list too ,in junior ive seen strome and mitch marner like em both ...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad