What type of team are the B's

thegodfather

Dec 6, 2005
Stratford, Ontario
People need to stop living in the god damn past around here and in other places.

Boston is not nor will they ever be the Big Bad Bruins of the 70's.

Montreal is no longer considered the Flying Frenchmen..

Philadelphia are no long the Broad Street Bullies nor will they be also...

I'll admit, some things have not changed...the Wings still like developing through the draft and Toronto still sucks.

But this thought that the Bruins can put a team on the ice to beat the crap out of everyone is ridiculous. Especially if you want them to win.

Hockey has changed folks.

Dallas Eakins*

Well they're actively trying to eradicate the toughness by bringing in softer players to move towards a "skilled game" but are also tragically inept in the speed department thus rendering them impotent. I don't really think the Bruins are a "type of team" right now and that's part of the problem…

Guess I'd say they're a bad team right now.

Patrice Krejci*

Pastafarian
Aug 12, 2014
Washington DC
I feel like Boston's identity is misguided here. Lots of posters want a team of heavy's that will goon their way to victory while our real identity was a relentless two way hockey team that never quit.

Dallas Eakins*

People need to stop living in the god damn past around here and in other places.

I'll admit, some things have not changed...the Wings still like developing through the draft and Toronto still sucks.

But this thought that the Bruins can put a team on the ice to beat the crap out of everyone is ridiculous. Especially if you want them to win.

You aren't entirely wrong but this does seem pretty narrow minded. For instance while we aren't gong to be seeing bench clearing brawls the Bruins were a pretty tough team during there recent success guys who have seen the door since then who contributed: Horton, Iginla, Boychuck, Thorton, even Thomas. Then you have Chara and Looch who clearly weren't physical enough this year but the Bruins were pretty clearly the modern Big Bad Bruins when they won the cup.

Even the Flyers are still at their best when they're gooning it up.(see: vs Pens)

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
State of transition. Moving from outmoded unskilled tough guys to faster, more skillful roster.

Neely says he wants to bring in some snarl with those skilled players to make the team "hard to play against".

Roster is a work in progress. We won't have an identity until after the draft, free agency period and trade season. Repost this thread in September.

Hope that answers your question.

Thrive

Scoish Velociraptor Maloish
Jan 10, 2009
Massachusetts
They're a soft team with zero identity.

/Thread

This sums up the past season with a nice bow on top.

Part of the reason for this was the disconnect between Clode and PC. The team that was built was suited for a different style of play than what Clode's system calls for. Thus you have a square peg in a round hole - the result of this should have been / was evident throughout the majority of the year. I blame this on PC - the roster / organization building since the team won the Cup has been horrendous.

Sevren

Nov 10, 2009
Montreal

They beat the crap out of everyone in 2011 and it seemed to work just fine.

ksp1957

Apr 11, 2006
South Shore
This sums up the past season with a nice bow on top.

Part of the reason for this was the disconnect between Clode and PC. The team that was built was suited for a different style of play than what Clode's system calls for. Thus you have a square peg in a round hole - the result of this should have been / was evident throughout the majority of the year. I blame this on PC - the roster / organization building since the team won the Cup has been horrendous.

And don't forget the boring to watch. I sure hope they're more exciting to watch next season because I pretty much gave up on them at game 60.

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
A team in transition.

From the powerhouse of the East for the years gone by, to an aging team who do not have an identity anymore.

The B's are now a mid tier team and will be for the next couple of years, in a cap crunch situation there is no quick fix.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
The night that Roussel crosschecked McQuaid in the throat and no one did anything about it sure told me the direction that team was going right then and there. McQuaid would be the first guy on the team to step in if that happened to anyone on the Bruins, and the fact that there wasn't as much as a push or shove from the team told me all I needed to be told.

It was sickening.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
They are a team in transition. They are no longer the big bad Bruins and they are not the high skilled fast skating team of today. They need to get upper management on one page as to what they want then put in GM that can get them there through trades and the draft and get a coach that can coach and adapt on the fly until all the pieces are in place .This is going to take a couple of years.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
They are a team in transition. They are no longer the big bad Bruins and they are not the high skilled fast skating team of today. They need to get upper management on one page as to what they want then put in GM that can get them there through trades and the draft and get a coach that can coach and adapt on the fly until all the pieces are in place .This is going to take a couple of years.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
State of transition. Moving from outmoded unskilled tough guys to faster, more skillful roster.

Neely says he wants to bring in some snarl with those skilled players to make the team "hard to play against".

Roster is a work in progress. We won't have an identity until after the draft, free agency period and trade season. Repost this thread in September.

Hope that answers your question.

Precisely.

ap3lovr

Dec 31, 2005
New Brunswick
See Vancouver last year. That is the type of team we are, trending downward. We can make a few smart moves like they did and make it in next year. However looking around our division, it is hard to see us competitive in a few years with Tampa, Florida, Montreal, Ottawa in our division. Those teams are trending upward to perennial competitor status. Boston is trending downward, I would expect to see a few coach and gm changes over the next 5-10 years while finger pointing goes in every direction and the team never properly enters a rebuild.

DaBroons

Aug 2, 2005
To me, the issue is being one-dimensional. The Broons have been one-dimensional b/c Chia and Clode were so obsessed with "Bruins-type players" that they lost a lot of the skill that went with their toughness.

Montreal and Edmonton are classic examples of the opposite. Skilled, fast teams with little grit. I think Bergevin has done a great job of supplementing Montreal's skill with grit and toughness: Weise, Prust, Mitchell, and Flynn for example. Edmonton hasn't done it yet, we'll see if Chia acquires more grit.

Boston is in transition. Probably need a different coach to implement a different style. This year's team had no identity. They played soft and they lacked skill and speed. Certainly Spoons and Pasta helped in that department.

ORR2Sanderson2ORR

Bobby Orr Scores
Aug 24, 2005
Everywhere
I think their a very good team who's upper management, crippled themselves royally by not being able to handle the salary cap. The Bruins flat out have too many 4-5 and 6 number defenseman and management couldn't address the issue because of their dysfunctional handling of the salary cap. The Bruins are two top 4 defenseman away from being a Cup Contender again. The question is can the new management get out of cap hell that PC created and fix it the problem on the back end.

No speed no transition game, needs to be addressed!

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
I think their a very good team who's upper management, crippled themselves royally by not being able to handle the salary cap. The Bruins flat out have too many 4-5 and 6 number defenseman and management couldn't address the issue because of their dysfunctional handling of the salary cap. The Bruins are two top 4 defenseman away from being a Cup Contender again. The question is can the new management get out of cap hell that PC created and fix it the problem on the back end.

No speed no transition game, needs to be addressed!

I agree,they need two top 4 defenceman quite desperately.

rkwittem

May 13, 2013
Fargo, ND
I don't know what they are but I know what I want them to be: a heavy forechecking, strong 2-way style team that plays 60 minutes each night.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad