Line Combos: What to expect from ZAR next season?

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
It's that spell with Sid that's making me think he's looked more likely to make it as a scoring line 3rd wheel than as a 4th line grinder.

But we'll see. Agreed about starting him at WBS.

I saw it that way too. He seemed to know where to go in the O zone. If you do that with Crosby (or skilled players in general) he’ll find you.

Playing with Rowney and Kuhnhackl he’s not going to be effective. None of them could to be fair playing with each other.

His form, skill set needed in our line up and injuries will determine when he comes up. Him staying down will be helpful too.

Reactions: Peat

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Simply not true. He’s a raw prospect. He looked fine for his first taste of the NHL on a team that has creating chances for the others team every other time they touched the puck.

He certainly did create a lot of chances for the other team.

Reactions: Andy99

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
He certainly did create a lot of chances for the other team.

He put up 12 points in 33 games and is focusing on his faults this summer and training with Sid. Wouldn’t be surprised to see Simon be our best young player next year and put up 30 or so points.

It is really weird to me how people are so focused on putting a unproven Sprong into our top nine and then turn around and fault Simon for being an adventure defensively. That is what happens when you play young players in the top nine especially offensively oriented ones. Let Simon learn the game and develop. Just like Sprong he has shown glimpses and has had solid AHL numbers.

Reactions: PAJEN NORDGREN

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
He put up 12 points in 33 games and is focusing on his faults this summer and training with Sid. Wouldn’t be surprised to see Simon be our best young player next year and put up 30 or so points.

In other words, he had a good January then disappeared. Just because Crosby may want to play with him doesn't mean he should be on the team. Do I have to cite past examples?

It is really weird to me how people are so focused on putting a unproven Sprong into our top nine and then turn around and fault Simon for being an adventure defensively. That is what happens when you play young players in the top nine especially offensively oriented ones. Let Simon learn the game and develop. Just like Sprong he has shown glimpses and has had solid AHL numbers.

Sprong at least figures to be a very effective goal scorer. There isn't anything Simon does very well. Doesn't score. Doesn't play well defensively. Isn't a "grinder." Doesn't kill penalties. He's literally the definition of an empty jersey.

Reactions: That1Kid and Andy99

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
In other words, he had a good January then disappeared. Just because Crosby may want to play with him doesn't mean he should be on the team. Do I have to cite past examples?

Sprong at least figures to be a very effective goal scorer. There isn't anything Simon does very well. Doesn't score. Doesn't play well defensively. Isn't a "grinder." Doesn't kill penalties. He's literally the definition of an empty jersey.

I mean, Simon outscored Sprong in the actual NHL. So, we know he is effective. He also had three points in the playoffs. I think a lot of people are underselling him.

Reactions: Peat

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
I mean, Simon outscored Sprong in the actual NHL. So, we know he is effective. He also had three points in the playoffs. I think a lot of people are underselling him.

:laugh:

Gee, I wonder how Simon outscored Sprong? I mean, it couldn't be because he was given several more NHL games, could it?

Simon "outscoring" Sprong after playing more games doesn't prove he is effective, it just proves the coaches held the two players to different standards.

Reactions: JimmyTwoTimes

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
:laugh:

Gee, I wonder how Simon outscored Sprong? I mean, it couldn't be because he was given several more NHL games, could it?

Simon "outscoring" Sprong after playing more games doesn't prove he is effective, it just proves the coaches held the two players to different standards.

I mean, they were on a line together when Simon out produced him?

Simon is a prospect just like Sprong. Why would you not want to see him succeed? And he’s shown he can produce. That is why he stuck in the line-up not because “Recchi likes him” or whatever the f*** people are using as an excuse for Sprong not forcing his way into the line-up.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
He also saw his ice time drop to under ten minutes a game. I think your criticisms of Simon are a little harsh for a 1st year player.

It’d be like someone arguing Sprong is done after his stints.

Not when the coaching staff kept throwing him on the top in line the 2nd round when he was clearly miscast in that role. His 1st period penalty completely ruined the momentum the Penguins had in Game 5 against the Capitals and the coaches did nothing to hold him accountable for it. He's the kind of player the GM needs to get rid of for his coaches' own good.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Not when the coaching staff kept throwing him on the top in line the 2nd round when he was clearly miscast in that role. His 1st period penalty completely ruined the momentum the Penguins had in Game 5 against the Capitals and the coaches did nothing to hold him accountable for it. He's the kind of player the GM needs to get rid of for his coaches' own good.

LOL. He’s a rookie. That is what rookies do.

I wonder what the verdict would be if Sprong did that.

Simon may not pan out, but giving him away after a slightly promising first season is pointless especially since next year we will likely rely on Sprong, ZAR and Simon to be effective NHL wingers to offset the looming cap issues.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
LOL. He’s a rookie. That is what rookies do.

I wonder what the verdict would be if Sprong did that.

Simon may not pan out, but giving him away after a slightly promising first season is pointless especially since next year we will likely rely on Sprong, ZAR and Simon to be effective NHL wingers to offset the looming cap issues.

So then what business did he have being on the top line in the playoffs?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
So then what business did he have being on the top line in the playoffs?

We had little depth on the wing last year. Simon had shown promise on the top line and Sullivan was trying to stack his depth.

The coaching staff obviously trusted the players that had actually been in the line-up.

Maybe it wasn’t the right decision, but why would you blame the player for being miscast? Especially when Simon had a hand in setting up a goal after his penalty.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
The thing with ZAR is that you don't know if you're getting the kid who played very well with Sid for a few games, looked comfortable and was an impact NHLer, or if you're gonna get the kid who looked wholly out of his league come playoff time and was overwhelmed at the NHL level.

dogthateats

May 26, 2011
discord.gg
Some of the only Pens games that I missed last season were the games that ZAR played on Sid’s line. Therefore, I don’t have that high of an opinion on ZAR.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think ZAR, Sprong and Simon are all going to see time on the RW with Sid & Jake. I could see ZAR being the guy that sticks by way of being a steady netfront presence, giving a little extra room to his line mates.

I think ZAR is going to be a guy they're going to be very reluctant to play on his off-side, as his game is a lot more about battling on the boards than it is cutting in towards net and shooting. Not to mention if you're putting in a netfront presence who doesn't play Sid's give and go game all that much, I don't see why ZAR gets the nod in front of Horny.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
With the Cullen and Grant signings as well as Simon and Sprong having to pass through waivers, I'd say it's an all but guarantee ZAR starts in Wilkes. I think that's the right call anyway. If he's going to be the best NHL player he can be, he needs to be getting as many offensive looks he can get and right now, Pens don't have the spot for him. He will get time this year when injury bug hits and if he delivers, then he can be on the roster down the stretch and in playoffs.

It's hard to know if he's going to be an every day NHL'er. Too early to tell IMO.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I think ZAR, Sprong and Simon are all going to see time on the RW with Sid & Jake. I could see ZAR being the guy that sticks by way of being a steady netfront presence, giving a little extra room to his line mates.

Why on earth would the Pens play a natural LWer on the RW with Sid given the depth chart?

Reactions: Shockmaster

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
With the Cullen and Grant signings as well as Simon and Sprong having to pass through waivers, I'd say it's an all but guarantee ZAR starts in Wilkes. I think that's the right call anyway. If he's going to be the best NHL player he can be, he needs to be getting as many offensive looks he can get and right now, Pens don't have the spot for him. He will get time this year when injury bug hits and if he delivers, then he can be on the roster down the stretch and in playoffs.

It's hard to know if he's going to be an every day NHL'er. Too early to tell IMO.

The only thing I'd add to that is that this is only true as long as the roster numbers don't change and given that Rutherford's already (rumouredly) made two 2 for 1 approaches this summer, I think the odds are decent on the roster numbers changing.

Reactions: Shady Machine

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
i mean, if it worked, would be a pretty good reason

Why would they try it in the first place though?

He’s not played that position and still needs to break into the NHL as a regular. It’s not the time try that especially since we have 4 natural RW’s and Simon can also play RW

Reactions: Shady Machine

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 5