Line Combos: What to expect from ZAR next season?

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Is he part of this lineup as a 3rd/4th liner or is it better for him to go back down for a year? I feel like there's no right scenario for him. He showed some nice things, and would be more suited as a 2nd liner IMO, but there's no real spot for him right now anywhere... And I'm not sure Pittsburgh is the place he'll grow into a more important player.

So what's to expect? 30 games on bottom lines, 10-14 pts in the year is what I fear will happen. But where is he in two years?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I can't see them keeping him up just to HS him repeatedly. That seems very unlike them.

What I would expect is 3rd line or sent down. Either works. I wouldn't want him to be a 4th liner, I'd rather he developed down in WBS - fortunately it looks like Cullen may have taken that roster spot.

Reactions: EightyOne

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
He hasn’t shown that he mentally or physically (quickness) can keep up with the play...he still trails a lot...unless he shows much improvement in training camp and preseason, I’d start him out in WBS until/unless there are injuries....

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
He hasn’t shown that he mentally or physically (quickness) can keep up with the play...he still trails a lot...unless he shows much improvement in training camp and preseason, I’d start him out in WBS until/unless there are injuries....

Before he got injured while he might not have been flashy he was scoring because he was generally on the right spot but he really has to be with a skilled playmaker for that to work.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Probably alternating with Simon on the 4th line, if I had to guess. There will be plenty of injuries next season, so ZAR will get plenty of top-9 chances.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017

Before he got injured while he might not have been flashy he was scoring because he was generally on the right spot but he really has to be with a skilled playmaker for that to work.

What I'm reading here is that you guys aren't convinced he's a NHL player at all, maybe not even down the stretch... ?

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

He was inconsistent and still having troubles in that regard...it was better than the preseason last year though...he still needs development in that regard and I think that’s why Sully was playing him on the 4th line with slower players...

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
What I'm reading here is that you guys aren't convinced he's a NHL player at all, maybe not even down the stretch... ?

I think he will be an NHL player but he’ll be a guy that needs the right linemates to do well (at least while he’s developing still anyway). Luckily for us we don’t have a lot of big strong wingers and also with our current roster if he’s playing he will be with good players not matter the line. Which wasn’t the case last season.

He can spend another year in WBS without worrying about waivers. That’s can relieve some pressure while he improves.

Coach Travis

Back2Back!!!
Jun 29, 2005
Thunder Bay, Ontario
bucketdecals.com
I think ZAR potentially can be a player who is a valuable net-front presence for Sid. He definitely has that "scoring knack" and ability to take punishment in front of the net. I don't see him being a guy who dictates the play. He'll likely have lousy WOWY possession stats but if he can pot goals on the cheap, he allows us to stretch our depth.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Hopefully more of the guy we saw when he was with Sid and went on that nice little streak of games and less of the guy we saw back from concussion and playing miserable hockey in the playoffs.

davemess

Apr 9, 2003
Scotland
I am expecting Sprong, Simon & ZAR to rotate through the 2 open roster spots depending on which 2 are playing best any given week.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I think his ceiling that is a 3rd wheel for L3 if he clicks, or that’s the quality. Floor... a generic 4th liner might be optimistic. Unless he wows I’m all for starting him in WBS.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think his ceiling that is a 3rd wheel for L3 if he clicks, or that’s the quality. Floor... a generic 4th liner might be optimistic. Unless he wows I’m all for starting him in WBS.

Weird thing is so far he's looked a lot more likely to make his ceiling than his floor.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I think he's with the club full-time this season and plays mostly 4th line, having a season similar to what Scott Wilson did 2 years ago.

Reactions: Violenza Domestica

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Weird thing is so far he's looked a lot more likely to make his ceiling than his floor.

Maybe. It’s such a small sample size. 16RS and 9PO. I thought he had a really bad playoffs.

I’d say that run he went on with Crosby shows some ability to work with talent which is good. Some mediocre games to start, some good games on L4, a good run with Crosby, an injury and then a bad playoffs on L4. Anyway, idk. It’s why I’d like him in the AHL.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Maybe. It’s such a small sample size. 16RS and 9PO. I thought he had a really bad playoffs.

I’d say that run he went on with Crosby shows some ability to work with talent which is good. Some mediocre games to start, some good games on L4, a good run with Crosby, an injury and then a bad playoffs on L4. Anyway, idk. It’s why I’d like him in the AHL.

It's that spell with Sid that's making me think he's looked more likely to make it as a scoring line 3rd wheel than as a 4th line grinder.

But we'll see. Agreed about starting him at WBS.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Probably keeping his head up more to avoid terrible players.

For ZAR to play his game more effectively, he needs to get stronger, he seemed to do well in front of the net and has that energetic pest quality to his game. As long as he gets stronger, gets a little quicker, he'll make his mark.

But then again, one has to remember that Simon has been working out with Sid and also had a good stint and could be a tough guy to beat in the line-up.

Reactions: Violenza Domestica

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Injuries notwithstanding, his waiver-exemption and our numbers kind of seal his fate.

Won't hurt him to develop a little more in the minors.

Strakanator

Sep 21, 2007
Currently ZAR does not possess the speed to be an impact player in the NHL. There are also better penalty killers and faster energy players to play on the 4th line. The league is getting faster every year. There is not generally a position for young players without speed on NHL rosters anymore. There are always a few exceptions for an outstanding talent in some area, but I really don’t think ZAR qualifies. At this point, I don’t think his skating can ever really improve enough to fit the direction the league is heading. ZAR is a player that maybe would have been useful in the slower bigger NHL 5 or 6 years ago.

Reactions: vodeni

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Probably keeping his head up more to avoid terrible players.

For ZAR to play his game more effectively, he needs to get stronger, he seemed to do well in front of the net and has that energetic pest quality to his game. As long as he gets stronger, gets a little quicker, he'll make his mark.

But then again, one has to remember that Simon has been working out with Sid and also had a good stint and could be a tough guy to beat in the line-up.

Simon had "a good stint" if that means having a couple nice games in January then being terrible the rest if the way. If he plays with Crosby, it won't take us long to wish JR never gave him a qualifying offer.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Currently ZAR does not possess the speed to be an impact player in the NHL. There are also better penalty killers and faster energy players to play on the 4th line. The league is getting faster every year. There is not generally a position for young players without speed on NHL rosters anymore. There are always a few exceptions for an outstanding talent in some area, but I really don’t think ZAR qualifies. At this point, I don’t think his skating can ever really improve enough to fit the direction the league is heading. ZAR is a player that maybe would have been useful in the slower bigger NHL 5 or 6 years ago.

Yeah, I don’t know if it’s physical ability or mental agility but he doesn’t seem to process the play or where to go on the ice quick enough...it might be lack of foot speed or it could be he could overcome any foot speed limitations with developing better hockey IQ but he’s still behind the play a lot....I won’t say he’ll never develop into a good nhl player but he definitely should start the year in WBS....

As for Simon, he shows flashes of making really smart and quality passes and he’s good at passing through the NZ, so I can see what appeals to Sid about him...but he has shown no particularly great talent that would justify playing him over other players in our lineup, with the exception of maybe ZAR....he’s kind of an average borderline nhl player....I call him a less speedy but better IQ’d Scott Wilson and I think that’s an accurate description

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Simon had "a good stint" if that means having a couple nice games in January then being terrible the rest if the way. If he plays with Crosby, it won't take us long to wish JR never gave him a qualifying offer.

Simply not true. He’s a raw prospect. He looked fine for his first taste of the NHL on a team that has creating chances for the others team every other time they touched the puck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad