Value of: What to do with Turris?

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
You could probably find a taker for Bonino. Turris contract is just too long for most teams to take on

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
He's playing alright for us so far, if he keeps it up we'll probably just keep him for extra depth. If he returns to his 50 point form he'd be a good 3c or winger in case of injury. We'll get rid of Smith and bring up Tolvanen to sign Granlund and Josi in the offseason.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
We arent up against the cap this year so we will just keep him. Never can have too much depth and early on he looks to be getting back to his old self.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
If you want to be a top tier team might as well just keep him until there's a valid reason to get rid of him.

Not only is the Preds depth down the middle impressive when they're healthy, Turris is also a good guy to have in case Duchene/Johansen go down with an injury.

Preds had 117 points 2 years ago with Turris as their 2C most of the season, when he was healthy and playing to his normal standards.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Don't really see any reason to move him right now. It looks like last year really was due to injury as he's been noticeable and creating a bunch of chances. If Smith continues to look out of sync with Arvidsson and Johansen, I'd give Turris a shot on the top line.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
He's playing well enough right now I wouldn't trade him unless someone makes it worth while.

Frankly I'd like to see them move Smith down and put Tolvanen or Pitlick a chance with Joey or Arvi.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
If you want to be a top tier team might as well just keep him until there's a valid reason to get rid of him.

Not only is the Preds depth down the middle impressive when they're healthy, Turris is also a good guy to have in case Duchene/Johansen go down with an injury.

Preds had 117 points 2 years ago with Turris as their 2C most of the season, when he was healthy and playing to his normal standards.
I think this is the basic default plan. And a solid enough one.

However it's also worth keeping potential Turris moves at least in the back of our mind almost perpetually at the same time. I mean, we're paying $6M for a bit of a luxury insurance policy here. He's playing well enough and he's a decent player within his niche. But right now he's playing outside his niche with essentially 4th line minutes and Jarnkrok and Grimaldi on his wings. That's a bit of a waste. There is still time for further experiments with him, perhaps as a top-6 winger, perhaps with better 3rd line wingers. But at the end of the day we have two better top-6 centers in Duchene and Johansen, and two centers who are better-suited to bottom-6 roles in Bonino and Sissons, so having $6M of our payroll allotted to an insurance policy may not be our most effective use of that cap space.

Hopefully he can keep playing as well as he has been... and hopefully that translates into a trade opportunity that benefits the team. He is not a cap dump and he's still an effective player, so there's no desperation for the Preds to move him by any stretch. But at the same time, if an opportunity arises, it would make sense to consider it. Just as one example, we probably have to choose between retaining Granlund OR Smith as impending free agents. We aren't as deep on the wings as at center, though. It could be argued that it would be better for us to keep BOTH wingers if we had the cap space that Turris represents available to spend.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
He's been pretty good to start the year. If he maintains this level of play, we have no real reason to move him. He needs some wingers desperately though.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
The worst case scenario for the Predators would be a buyout. This would cost them 16M in dead cap. Meaning, a solution would have to have a lower cap burden than 2M x 8 years.

Turris is tainted now. Even if he has a strong season, teams are going to be apprehensive to take on his term and cap. Look at the recent Rangers trade. According to Garrioch, Namestnikov has been available for a while. The Rangers only now managed to move him for a late pick. They had to retain cash. Namestnikov's cap hit is much lower than Turris' and it is an expiring contract. The point being, it is A LOT harder to move out cap and term than people think.

If Turris gets moved, it'll probably be similar to the Lucic for Neal swap. The Predators will find another team with an under performing and overpaid star. They'll swap contracts.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
If the preds wanted to trade Turris, July 2 would have been the time to do it. Many teams lacking top 6 centers probably would have bitten. As it stands now teams cap is accounted for

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
The worst case scenario for the Predators would be a buyout. This would cost them 16M in dead cap. Meaning, a solution would have to have a lower cap burden than 2M x 8 years.

Turris is tainted now. Even if he has a strong season, teams are going to be apprehensive to take on his term and cap. Look at the recent Rangers trade. According to Garrioch, Namestnikov has been available for a while. The Rangers only now managed to move him for a late pick. They had to retain cash. Namestnikov's cap hit is much lower than Turris' and it is an expiring contract. The point being, it is A LOT harder to move out cap and term than people think.

If Turris gets moved, it'll probably be similar to the Lucic for Neal swap. The Predators will find another team with an under performing and overpaid star. They'll swap contracts.

If Turris has a strong season then he's not really that tainted. If his value is something like Lucic after having a healthy season then he'll just continue to play with us.

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
I'd keep in mind, playing a player on the 3rd and 4th line all year; will likely hurt his trade value.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
If you are looking to shed salary after the season, we could give you Beagle for Bonino. You would loses 1.1mill in cap and get a capable veteran 4c.
We have Sissons already. There's no desire to shave bits of salary and take on other salaries here. Bonino has played well for us, and is probably worth his full salary. If we did move somebody to free up salary, it would have to basically TOTALLY free up their salary, like the Subban trade, likely for futures.

I don't see the Preds moving anybody though. They like both Bonino and Turris.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
If you are looking to shed salary after the season, we could give you Beagle for Bonino. You would loses 1.1mill in cap and get a capable veteran 4c.

I think you’d have to retain on Beagle but it’s not a bad idea. The reason I think retention is warranted is Bonino could be moved in the off season for futures quite easily giving Nashville even more flexibility. Beagle swap needs and deserves an add incentive imo

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
What do you do with a Kyle Turris so early in the morning?

Put him in the bed with the captain’s daughter....
Huh? :huh:

I assume it's some sexual innuendo, but it's gone way over my head.

If he can play wing sharks would be interested, wingers who can play center are Deboers fetish

Wouldn't hate him, but not sure we can afford him without retention or moving 1-2 guys like Melker and/or Dillon, or something like that. If he could push Jumbo to #4C or even play top 6 wing intermittently, I'd be happy.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Honestly, if we're talking strictly hockey wise, I think the Senators are a fit. That bridge has been burned as long as Melnyk remains the owner though and Ottawa would need to send back Anisimov and/or Boedker (which doesn't seem particularly interesting from a Nashville POV).

I think Turris is going to bounce back to a respectable level though. There's still some fear around his contract in the last couple seasons, but I don't think he's fallen off the cliff to the point where he's not a 2B/3A type of guy, and in today's NHL that's worth ~$6 million/year.

Reactions: NNCbama

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad