Confirmed with Link: What to do with Trouba? (UPD: 1y/5.5m arb award)

*IFF* Trouba asks for too much money, & you can't get full value in a trade - best option for Chevy

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I'm not sold on Myers as a top 4 D. If he's going to cost more than $5.5M on a longer term deal, then I would look to make a trade for better options. I just don't see him as a core D, even though I like and admire his approach.

Just my opinion but i like the idea of dealing Perreault for something small and keeping Myers for his last year. Then let him go somewhere another team can afford him.

Copp is a tough mins defensive 3rd liner, Tanev has proven himself a bit, Vesalainen will be able to fill in eventually. Cheap replacements are backfilled already. I guess to me Poolman is still a bit of an unknown.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Wiecek with another petulant, ill-informed article in the WFP today -- this time suggesting that the Jets might need to trade Trouba for cap reasons (and also because Trouba apparently told Wiecek he expected to be in training camp two seasons ago, and then didn't, so he's untrustworthy).

Jets will find a way to fit Trouba under the cap if he's willing to stay, period.

Oh, and Wiecek thinks the Jets could perhaps trade Trouba for "another top-pairing right-shot defenceman with a team-friendly contract and a Winnipeg-friendly attitude". Not surprisingly, he gives no examples... :skeptic:

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Wiecek with another petulant, ill-informed article in the WFP today -- this time suggesting that the Jets might need to trade Trouba for cap reasons (and also because Trouba apparently told Wiecek he expected to be in training camp two seasons ago, and then didn't, so he's untrustworthy).

Jets will find a way to fit Trouba under the cap if he's willing to stay, period.

Oh, and Wiecek thinks the Jets could perhaps trade Trouba for "another top-pairing right-shot defenceman with a team-friendly contract and a Winnipeg-friendly attitude". Not surprisingly, he gives no examples... :skeptic:

Chuckle. Cuz the league is full of GMs that want to trade team-friendly contracts for more expensive ones for basically the same caliber of player. "No, here, I want to pay more for the same thing!" (ok there are a few interesting GMs but Winnipeg's luck seldom rolls that way).

The Fowler contract seems ballpark (8 years 6.5 AAV) then move Myers out.

DJBiffWPG

May 30, 2018
Just my opinion but i like the idea of dealing Perreault for something small and keeping Myers for his last year. Then let him go somewhere another team can afford him.

This is dumb. Perreault makes every player he plays with better and he’s a guy who can play up and down the lineup. Myers is a third pair guy with below 3rd pair results making first pair money.

DJBiffWPG

May 30, 2018
This is dumb. Perreault makes every player he plays with better and he’s a guy who can play up and down the lineup. Myers is a third pair guy with below 3rd pair results making first pair money.

Also, Myers is RHD and teams value that position. He would get a better return. We have three better options on he right side ahead of him.

Easy move to make.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
Put Trouba on Yotes.. OEL on Jets.. OEL prob putting up 60 points .
Does Trouba put up 30 even?
No chance. Buff still gets most of the PP time and I doubt OEL displaces Myers on the second unit.
Does Trouba put up 30 even?
Trouba is 7th in the NHL 5v5 scoring rates (P/60) over the last 2 years. On the Yotes he gets a significant PP role which immediately puts him into the 50-60 point range. (OEL is in the 70ish range)

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014

Agree, it was a poorly written speculative piece, with zero substance.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
If we somehow traded Trouba for Erik Karlsson, Byfuglien would struggle to score 45 points in 82 games.

Point totals for defensemen is such a useless number.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg

I get what you're saying but this is way over the top. Calling Myers a guy who can't hack 3rd pair anf worse than Poolman and his 20 games is a joke :laugh:

Like gee I wonder why Myers would bring back more in a trade. Must be which hand he shoots.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

I don't even read his stuff anymore.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Wiecek still has a job.............. how is that possible? The guy is trapped in his memories of 1997 Winnipeg.

Last edited:

DJBiffWPG

May 30, 2018
I get what you're saying but this is way over the top. Calling Myers a guy who can't hack 3rd pair anf worse than Poolman and his 20 games is a joke :laugh:

Like gee I wonder why Myers would bring back more in a trade. Must be which hand he shoots.

Because teams value a right handed defender even bad ones.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
No chance. Buff still gets most of the PP time and I doubt OEL displaces Myers on the second unit.

Trouba is 7th in the NHL 5v5 scoring rates (P/60) over the last 2 years. On the Yotes he gets a significant PP role which immediately puts him into the 50-60 point range. (OEL is in the 70ish range)

I think Like Petan, ppl refuse to actually accept what Trouba is...

Trouba Petan trade coming

Reactions: Ippenator

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
If he wants more then 5.5 per, sign myers and trade trouba to Ottawa for stone.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think Like Petan, ppl refuse to actually accept what Trouba is...

Trouba Petan trade coming

Trouba is an extremely good ES dmen. He scores and defends at a very high level. He also has utility on the PK but is only roughly average there. He also has never been particularly great on the PP (He has also gotten a number of opportunities there unlike Morrissey). I feel his inability to perform at an upper end level on special teams ultimately caps his level at a tier below the games elite who can do it all imo.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
I didn't mind the Wiecek article at all. He said what many others have said at various times--that Troubs and his agent may over-value his worth and be disinclined to sign here long-term without getting a deal that is too expensive for Chevy's taste or the Jets' cap. If that is the case, then it may be worth trading him for any number of possible returns.
Nothing controversial here, perhaps just a take on Trouba that people don't want to hear at this point.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
I didn't mind the Wiecek article at all. He said what many others have said at various times--that Troubs and his agent may over-value his worth and be disinclined to sign here long-term without getting a deal that is too expensive for Chevy's taste or the Jets' cap. If that is the case, then it may be worth trading him for any number of possible returns.
Nothing controversial here, perhaps just a take on Trouba that people don't want to hear at this point.
My guilty pleasure is seeing the reactions to his articles which I never find as bad as some.
Agree with your comments

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat

Are there players and agents out there that don't over-value the players worth? Yes, I know Scheifele and Ehlers signed for what qualify as bargain prices, but we also don't know the asks up front so perhaps they over-valued themselves as well?

I'm not especially willing to get my hate on for Trouba or his agent for asking for higher than real value amounts. You'd have to be rather foolish to only ask for fair market value. If the "too expensive" aspect comes through, then sure, I'll be disappointed we didn't sign Trouba because I think he makes an excellent long term signing for top pair with Morrissey, even with his flaws factored in. But even if I were Laine and his agent I'd be asking for Matthews $$ as well to start with. What he signs (or not) for is what matters in the end.

Reactions: Lorenzo1000
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad