What to do with our goalies

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
They'll obviously offer him a contract.
Even if they want to stick with Anderson-Lehner they'll try to sign Hammond at slightly below market value and trade him once Lehner is symptom-free.

Murray confirmed that they are indeed going to offer him a contract, and if he signs with them, they will move one of Lehner or Anderson.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Murray confirmed that they are indeed going to offer him a contract, and if he signs with them, they will move one of Lehner or Anderson.

He never said they would move lehner or Anderson specifically. Didn't use any names. I thought he just said a move would need to be made.
Need the exact quote. Not the paraphrasing tweets.
But I think it's what he was implying anyway.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
He never said they would move lehner or Anderson specifically. Didn't use any names. I thought he just said a move would need to be made.
Need the exact quote. Not the paraphrasing tweets.
But I think it's what he was implying anyway.

"We have two goalies signed. Andrew Hammond is unrestricted, we'll make an offer to him and see if he's interested & willing to accept what we have for him. If that happens, if he does that, obviously there will be a change with one of the other two guys."

"The other 2" are Lehner and Anderson that's as clear as it can get. "Need to be a change", I think that pretty clear that he doesn't mean change of clothes. It's not like Lehner or Anderson will be sent down and if a change need to be made then what is that change if it's not trading one of Lehner or Anderson?

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
The issue here is all 4 goalies are in different personal situations in terms of their role and contract.

- Andy is a starter but doesn't seem to mind splitting games.
- Lehner is definitely and NHLer, but his ideal situation is a backup role where he has the potential to unthrone the starter.
- Hammond is a nobody, who suddenly is a UFA and has what might be his only chance to cash in. He would be nuts to take a 2-way deal, some team will surely give him a shot as a backup at a couple years for $1-2MM/year, which in real people dollars is a hell of a lot of money.
- O'Conner has never played a professional hockey game, so if he's smart he's looking for a place he can be the AHL starter, with a 2-3 year plan in place to transition to the NHL team. If he's not smart, he's looking for the first chance he gets to

I think the question that needs to be asked is if Ottawa is in a position to win the cup within the next yr or two? If the answer is yes, than most on here I assume would want to keep Anderson. If the answer is no than why would we keep a 36 yr old goaltender in the last yr of his contract who has injury issues & could be at his highest value right now?

First, I want to applaud you for not just picking the tallest one (kidding)

Your question is the key here and its why I don't think Anderson is going anywhere. What happened this year was a team breaking out. You can't let the positives blind you, but a hell of a lot of positives happened and mostly to young players. The expectation of management and the players should be making the playoffs and continuing to evolve into a contender.

If they trade Anderson and go with two unknowns, its a very risky maneuver. Anderson just showed yet again how solid he can be in the playoffs.

Basically in my mind, the #1 role is spoken for, Hammond and Lehner will fight for the backup, both with the potential to take over the #1 role through their play.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Re Murray's comments, the one person those comments were likely directed at were Hammond. The other guy is signed, but he is basically trying to convince Hammond do pass on being a UFA and sign with the Sens. And then if the Sens can get him signed in the next month, they now have three chips to play with, and it doesn't mean they HAVE to move one of Lehner or Anderson, even though that's what Murray inferred. They could do a sign and trade, because I don't see Hammond commanding a no-trade clause. And if the trade market for Hammond is decent, that is probably the best move, although Murray could obviously still move one of the other guys.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Sign Hammy, play all 3 until some team becomes desperate with injuries. Boom! Trade Hammy. Andy and Lehner are our past, present and future.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Re Murray's comments, the one person those comments were likely directed at were Hammond. The other guy is signed, but he is basically trying to convince Hammond do pass on being a UFA and sign with the Sens. And then if the Sens can get him signed in the next month, they now have three chips to play with, and it doesn't mean they HAVE to move one of Lehner or Anderson, even though that's what Murray inferred. They could do a sign and trade, because I don't see Hammond commanding a no-trade clause. And if the trade market for Hammond is decent, that is probably the best move, although Murray could obviously still move one of the other guys.

That's the lowest of low moves from a GM in the NHL.

It's basically what lost us Chara (when Muckler did it to Hossa). I want no part of that. Leave that kind of move to the bush-league GMs.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Sign Hammy, play all 3 until some team becomes desperate with injuries. Boom! Trade Hammy. Andy and Lehner are our past, present and future.

Three goalie rotations never work - there's always one goalie not getting much work in practice, let alone the games, and pretty soon you have an unhappy, divided dressing room. Every few years an NHL team gives it a go for a while, and quickly discovers why it is a bad idea. All we could do is send Lehner down to Bingo to get some work and hope that he clears waivers, which I suspect he would.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Three goalie rotations never work - there's always one goalie not getting much work in practice, let alone the games, and pretty soon you have an unhappy, divided dressing room. Every few years an NHL team gives it a go for a while, and quickly discovers why it is a bad idea. All we could do is send Lehner down to Bingo to get some work and hope that he clears waivers, which I suspect he would.

Pretty sure teams like Edmonton and Bufflo would be all over a highly touted young goalie like Lehner for their rebuild.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Especially since right now Bingo's goalie options are Greenham/Driedger...

You go into the pre-season with three goalies. O'Connor gets the early cut to go down to Bingo. Then on the final day you put on waivers one of Hammond or Lehner depending on how things look - and they're more than likely to clear because every other team is pretty set in their goalie options then too.

I mean Markstrom to start this season passed waivers no problem, and he has just as much potential as Lehner, if not more hype.

So then you'd have Anderson+Lehmond in the NHL, Lehmond+O'Connor in the AHL, and Greenham/Driedger in the ECHL.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Especially since right now Bingo's goalie options are Greenham/Driedger...

You go into the pre-season with three goalies. O'Connor gets the early cut to go down to Bingo. Then on the final day you put on waivers one of Hammond or Lehner depending on how things look - and they're more than likely to clear because every other team is pretty set in their goalie options then too.

I mean Markstrom to start this season passed waivers no problem, and he has just as much potential as Lehner, if not more hype.

So then you'd have Anderson+Lehmond in the NHL, Lehmond+O'Connor in the AHL, and Greenham/Driedger in the ECHL.

Are you serious or is this a joke? A team will most definitely pick up Lehner or Hammond if they go on waivers. Markstrom was hyped at the beginning of his career but he showed nothing, at the beginning of the season people thought he was a lost cause until he put great numbers in the AHL. It that no surprise to see him pass waivers honestly. Lehner has proven he can play at the NHL level and is much better than Markstrom and Hammond has 1 regulation loss in 20 games... No way these guys pass waiver, not a chance. Anyway, it would be incredibly stupid to even take a chance that one of them gets picked up on waivers... Lets just put Anderson on waivers, Nabokov cleared this year :help:

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
That's the lowest of low moves from a GM in the NHL.

It's basically what lost us Chara (when Muckler did it to Hossa). I want no part of that. Leave that kind of move to the bush-league GMs.

I'm not talking sign and trade the next day, which is what happened to Hossa. And Hammond won't be signing a super long contract like Hossa did in committing to the franchise long-term. Likely a 1 year deal, maybe a 2 year deal.

Either way, you don't know you're trading Hammond either, because Murray simply entertains trading any one of the three goalies, knowing that if you can't get what you consider to be kings ransom for either Anderson or Lehner, then you move Hammond.

And Hammond is going to sign a contract before free agency to avoid the risk of free agency (which is very real), it's not because there is no chance the Sens will trade him.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
Hammond almost single handed gave Montreal the first round of these playoffs. I am not going to put my trust in him going forward. He had a fantastic run and so did our team. The only reason we are attempting to sign him is because he won fan favour.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Hammond almost single handed gave Montreal the first round of these playoffs. I am not going to put my trust in him going forward. He had a fantastic run and so did our team. The only reason we are attempting to sign him is because he won fan favour.

First ever NHL playoff games, it doesn't mean he doesn't have the skills to perform in the playoffs just perhaps needs some experience. He's looked really good in net as far as positioning and lateral movement go in the regular season.

Walking into Montreal for your first two ever playoff games is no easy task. I also assume the coaches and guys like Wamsley would have input as to whether he's a good NHL goalie or not. I think this whole fan pressure to sign him is nonsense, if we let him go all we had to say was we wanted to give him a shot elsewhere at being a #1 because we already have two #1s and no sane person would have been that upset.

My gut feeling is that Lehner is the odd man out and we end up getting O'Connor. Just a gut feeling though.

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
Keep Andy...

Hammond, I feel was probably a one-hit wonder (happy to be proven wrong).

Lehner, still not sure on him and his potential... Seems to have dipped a little, again happy to be proven wrong.

Role with 3 keepers, what happened last time we let one go? Oh yeah, he's become a hero in Tampa.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad