What to do with our defense next year?

kjbhockey

May 12, 2013
I'm sure you saw Ek's article that mentioned the Flyers interest in Anaheim's Sami Vatanen, Dallas' Trevor Daley, and Winnipeg's Dustin Byfuglien. I'm not surprised by this list I feel the only way we can repair our D is through a trade and not through FA (weak class IMO). Thoughts?

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I don't trust anything he says so I'll believe it when I see it. And not to be a dick, but in the future I'd just post this kind of thing in an already existing thread of the same topic instead of making a new one.

The Couturier Effect

Aug 8, 2012
Nothing drastic. If Hextall is serious about building from within then we probably won't be seeing any major trades in the offseason.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
All I ask for.. Is to leave one spot for a rookie, whether its Morin, Hagg, Ghost or Alt. All the best teams have done this or currently do this. Get the vets to train them. Then playing 15 mins a night, if at a competitive level wont lose the game for us.

If Timonen comes back, pair him with Luke Schenn again. It worked before so lets try it again.

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
I'm sure you saw Ek's article that mentioned the Flyers interest in Anaheim's Sami Vatanen, Dallas' Trevor Daley, and Winnipeg's Dustin Byfuglien. I'm not surprised by this list I feel the only way we can repair our D is through a trade and not through FA (weak class IMO). Thoughts?

That's funny. I made a proposal on the trade boards a few weeks ago gauging people's opinion on a B Schenn for Vatanen rfa swap. Most were opposed to it.

That's really the only kind of trade I could see Hexy making. Young player for young player. So that eliminates Big Buf and Daley.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
That's funny. I made a proposal on the trade boards a few weeks ago gauging people's opinion on a B Schenn for Vatanen rfa swap. Most were opposed to it.

That's really the only kind of trade I could see Hexy making. Young player for young player. So that eliminates Big Buf and Daley.

If i remember people thought it was overpayment for the dman. The ducks could use schenn big time though so I would think theyd be interested him. What does he project out to be?

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
I would like Sami Vatanen. But, I still feel Brayden has more value. I would probably do the Ducks first round pick (24th), + Vatanen for Brayden Schenn + 2nd round pick/Luke Schenn

Funf

Sep 17, 2013
Philadelphia
I really like Vatanen as a player, and if the price was right I'd definitely go for it. I'm not sure what the incentive is for Anaheim though unless they really see Schenn or Lecavalier as their #2 center? With Morin, Hagg, Ghost on the way, I'm not sure I'd want to deal Schenn for a Dman, although the draft could change things drastically. Who knows.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Maybe schenn and second (+ possibly) for Vatenan and silfverberg/noesn

I wouldn't want neither Silfverberg or Noesen, the former is rather average & the latter is ok but just came off a major injury this year which basically wiped out his entire season.

Schenn holds more value & is more proven than Vatanen, I would have some serious reservations about a deal involving the two unless Anaheim sweetened the pot.

Vatanen played 2:24 minutes of PP time (2nd highest average on the team) while playing 14:50 minutes of ES time a game (8 highest average on the team). He played some sheltered minutes this year on one of the top team's in the league so I'm not totally sold with his point totals.

Last edited:

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I would only trade our productive forwards for dmen that are already better than Coburn. We have the kids coming who have a "chance" tho be good players. I only trade our F for those who ARE good players.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Maybe I'm wrong but if Schenn refuses to sign for less than five years at $4.5M per which he will get from someone on an offer sheet, just what is his value for the Flyers? Under these circumstances, if the Flyers could get Vatanen from the Ducks as part of a deal, they would be fortunate. It's better than the OS compensation.

The Rage Kage

Apr 21, 2014
If schenn does refuse to sign for a good deal trade him to Anaheim for the tenth overall and Vatanen+

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Maybe I'm wrong but if Schenn refuses to sign for less than five years at $4.5M per which he will get from someone on an offer sheet, just what is his value for the Flyers? Under these circumstances, if the Flyers could get Vatanen from the Ducks as part of a deal, they would be fortunate. It's better than the OS compensation.

I highly doubt that happens, a team would not only a have to pony up a 1st & 3rd for next years draft (which is considered very good) but then take a leap of faith with a big contract for a player that has a limited track record thus far.

If schenn does refuse to sign for a good deal trade him to Anaheim for the tenth overall and Vatanen+

That's too much for Schenn, fair value would probably be Schenn for Vatanen & the 24th pick.

Arwin

Jul 11, 2012
Finland
I would like Sami Vatanen. But, I still feel Brayden has more value. I would probably do the Ducks first round pick (24th), + Vatanen for Brayden Schenn + 2nd round pick/Luke Schenn

I would do that. Then pair Vatanen with Timonen, it worked in Sochi.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Guys, Vatanen is 5' 10" and 183 pounds. If we make a significant trade, it should be for someone who can play against the other teams top line.

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
I would only trade our productive forwards for dmen that are already better than Coburn. We have the kids coming who have a "chance" tho be good players. I only trade our F for those who ARE good players.

The thing is... You aren't going to get that for anyone on our roster we'd be willing to part with. Brayden Schenn isn't going to get you a defenseman already better than our best defenseman.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
What would be Vatanen's projection?
Small mobile puck mover with top-4 upside?

Sounds like Gostisbehere only that Vatanen is a couple of years ahead of him on the development curve and we surely would not want Streit|Vatanen|Ghost on the roster at the same time when matching up with the Bruins and Rangers of the league.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
What would be Vatanen's projection?
Small mobile puck mover with top-4 upside?

Sounds like Gostisbehere only that Vatanen is a couple of years ahead of him on the development curve and we surely would not want Streit|Vatanen|Ghost on the roster at the same time when matching up with the Bruins and Rangers of the league.

Pretty much. He's not big enough to really carry a pair. He's a rover type that can jump up in the play and push the puck through the neutral zone. That's a valuable player in 2014, but like you said, we already have Streit on the roster to fill that role as well as Ghost who might end being the best of the group in that regard. That's not worth trading a top six center for.

FlyersFanz

aut viam inveniam au
Jan 26, 2010
BlkVanOutsideUrHouse
Flyers need a QB player on Defense...they haven't had this since Pronger went down
That doesn't mean sign the oldest highest paid Dman in the league either ie: Dan Boyle
I don't have the answer for whom the Flyers should pursue but teams that have great D have people like Duncan Keith, Drew Doughy and Jay Boumeester ...Flyers need to fill the void

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
we need to pray that #44 retires and that one or more of the younglings steps up

FlyingPhilly

Mar 3, 2013
Philly
Maybe I'm wrong but if Schenn refuses to sign for less than five years at $4.5M per which he will get from someone on an offer sheet

:laugh: at the team that would give BSchenn this OS. They would be taking a serious leap of faith he can play to his potential. That is a lot of money to a player that has not shown any flash of dominance yet. Looking at the contracts given to RFA on their 2nd contract, I highly doubt BSchenn is going to get that kind of money. Flyers should play hard ball and insist on a prove it, bridge contract.

dookie88

Aug 18, 2008
Germany
:laugh: at the team that would give BSchenn this OS. They would be taking a serious leap of faith he can play to his potential. That is a lot of money to a player that has not shown any flash of dominance yet. Looking at the contracts given to RFA on their 2nd contract, I highly doubt BSchenn is going to get that kind of money. Flyers should play hard ball and insist on a prove it, bridge contract.

$4.5m per year for a player that can give you 20 goals and 20 assists and can play all three forward positions and is not a liability defensively is not an overpayment these days.
Schenn is only going to get better.

Though I understand why people would like a two year deal instead.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
$4.5m per year for a player that can give you 20 goals and 20 assists and can play all three forward positions and is not a liability defensively is not an overpayment these days.
Schenn is only going to get better.

Though I understand why people would like a two year deal instead.

:laugh:

If Schenn could be effective as a winger we would not have the whole V.Lecavalier dilemma

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad