Speculation: What to do with Devin Setoguchi

Status
Not open for further replies.

RussosBurner

Jun 19, 2012
State of Hockey
10 shots in 8 games and no goals. He's obviously under-performed in that sense. On the other hand, he has been playing a pretty physical game and a pretty high intensity game but he simply hasn't been shooting enough or winning enough 1 on 1 battles. I almost feel bad for the guy. He gets traded last summer out of the blue after signing an extension and then he gets hit by a freaking car during the season. He got in great shape this offseason and came in with a great attitude and just hasn't been able to get going and some of that is his fault but some has to do with being on an unsteady line IMO. I think this slump is really starting to weigh on him and I can't imagine being on the brink of being scratched is a good feeling.

I don't know what it is about the guy but I just like him and I'd hate to see him get traded away. I would really like to see him have success here in Minnesota. He's definitely a talented guy but at some point you have to earn your place and he is someone we have to be able to count on to shoot the put and put some goals up. That's why we traded for him.

So my question is what do you think needs to be done with him? Do we trade him like a lot of people have been saying? At this point we're not going to get much for him because his value is so low, that's a big reason I'm against a trade involving him at this point. If we put him in the lineup, where do we put him to get the most out of him? Hopefully it works out with Seto, I'd love to see him have a good career here but the clock is ticking on him IMO.

Billy Mays Here*

Put him on the first line next to Parise and Koivu and see how he fares.

Agree with the part about his value being low right now. No point in trading him right now since we're not gonna get much for him. Maybe a 2nd rd pick or mid-level prospect.

RussosBurner

Jun 19, 2012
State of Hockey

Agree with the part about his value being low right now. No point in trading him right now since we're not gonna get much for him. Maybe a 2nd rd pick or mid-level prospect.

I'd like to see that as well. Especially is that top line continues to struggle with Heatley there. Maybe Seto and Parise would work well with their speed together. And I look back to when Seto was having success in SJ he was with Marleau and Thornton a lot on the top line. Unfortunately I don't think Yeo will put him there until he starts showing something on a lower line. And if that top line gets clicking again theres not shot he'll get those minutes.

Randy BoBandy

Cheeseburger Party
May 9, 2011
Sunnyvale

I wouldn't mind seeing this. In his defense just like the OP said, I think Seto has playing hard and personally I have been really pleased by his game. He just hasn't gotten any bounces and the ones he does get aren't going in. They will come imo. I just think the line he is on isn't good together. The current mix of players on that line don't fit well with the eachothers playing style.

And to get back to my Heatley hate. I really don't like Heatley on that top line. He just doesn't do a damn thing at even strength. I can't wait till his contract is up so we can ship his ass out. Cool you can sit in front of the net on a powerplay and score garbage goals, which he should have way more of if he could move around and get open instead of just sitting ****ing still. He is a damn pylon out there when the play is actually moving from one zone to the next.

Lets jump-start Seto by putting him up with Koivu and Parise!

Randy BoBandy

Cheeseburger Party
May 9, 2011
Sunnyvale
Trade him and Mitchell back to San Jose for a 2nd round pick + some B prospect

He just needs some talented players to get him the puck. Plus when we let Clutter go after this year we are going to want Seto to take over his run and hit style of play. Seto looks like that is the path he is currently going down. But should just throw him on the first line so he can score a bunch of goals! #SetoTo1st

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
He just needs some talented players to get him the puck.

So this is the logic I'm getting;

Granlund needs to play with more talented wingers, he isn't bad. It's the players around him.

Setoguchi isn't bad, he just needs more talented players to get him the puck.

Da hell?

So Granlund needs talented players. Setoguchi needs talented players. Uh. Something isn't right.

Randy BoBandy

Cheeseburger Party
May 9, 2011
Sunnyvale

Granlund needs to play with more talented wingers, he isn't bad. It's the players around him.

Da hell?

So Granlund needs talented players. Setoguchi needs talented players. Uh. Something isn't right.

When did I say Granlund needs more talented wingers. I'm just saying that second line doesn't mesh well. Every one of them doesn't fit with the other. Granlund should go back to the AHL imo.

On the Seto stuff, he need players that can create for him. He is a shooter with marginal possession skills so he is going to score off the rush or a quick shot from in close. You would think Koivu and Parise do the dirty work and set him up in the high slot or coming in at the dots for a quick one timer. He can actually move around instead of being basically stationary like Heater.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Pens are the only team that might want him, really.

I didn't like him before the trade and I noticed how he was in EVERY SJ trade proposal. But Fletcher wanted Coyle and a 1st coming back, so Setoguchi it was.

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
Just because he hasn't scored yet does not mean he has no value, this kid almost potted 20 goals last year on a injury depleted team, while returning from a car accident. to a team like Pitt he is everything they want, its not hard to see that he isn't working on the 2nd line and he needs more of a pug hog center to create plays for him.

A guy like Crosby would love to add him to the wing, he has a cheap contract and can be obtained for a lower amount.

i think if in the next 5 games he doesn't pick up his act he will be moved soon, maybe even before this week is up. Specially if Coyle comes in and plays well.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
i say we coat him with pitch, roll him in feathers, then march him out of town.

instant playoffs ensue.

Mumbler*

Da hell?

Pretty obvious. They aren't the talented players needed to complement each others game.

Atleast right now they are not. Rookie who can't do much and a shooting winger who has 10 shots most of them coming from his own work.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Trade him to open up a spot for Zucker or keep Coyle up.

He was brought in to score, not grind it out on the fourth line. He can't create scoring opportunities on his own. Brick hands. No scoring instincts. Can't work the cycle.

At this point, take what you can get and cut your losses. This season's too short to screw around.

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
Trade him to open up a spot for Zucker or keep Coyle up.

He was brought in to score, not grind it out on the fourth line. He can't create scoring opportunities on his own. Brick hands. No scoring instincts. Can't work the cycle.

At this point, take what you can get and cut your losses. This season's too short to screw around.

I agree with this.

We need to start making things happen as a team. There's been enough patience on certain issues.

These guys are pro players. They are getting paid to play like pro players. If they are not fulfilling their role, we need to find someone who will.

I don't mind Seto, but he is not fitting, and we cannot afford to wait till the 20 game mark to see if he will start to click. He has a limited skill set, and could offer a different team, with a different makeup more value, hence Pitt.

He should have decent trade value, so imo, we should trade him if we can shore up any of our holes by doing so. Losing him will not hurt our team. The kids in Houston can fill the role he is in easily enough.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
the kids in houston, the kids in houston the kids in houston

If Zucker struggles as much as Granlund then what? I'm all for giving him a shot at this point, but what good does it do to "free up a spot" for someone who ends up being worse than who you sold off to make room for him? I'm not sniping at anyone in particular here.

if we're trading him away, anyone given any thought to getting something more decent from a team in desperate need? I see the penguins are the only team that might have interest written on here, but what about the Avs? Between injuries and contract disputes they're down three important forwards. They have D to trade which we don't really need but is it possible to snag one D and a pick for Seto and a Defenseman? Frees up a spot, gives us someone to scare our D underperformers.

Beegoalie

Dec 21, 2011
Pominville Minnesota
I wouldn't mind seeing this. In his defense just like the OP said, I think Seto has playing hard and personally I have been really pleased by his game. He just hasn't gotten any bounces and the ones he does get aren't going in. They will come imo. I just think the line he is on isn't good together. The current mix of players on that line don't fit well with the eachothers playing style.

And to get back to my Heatley hate. I really don't like Heatley on that top line. He just doesn't do a damn thing at even strength. I can't wait till his contract is up so we can ship his ass out. Cool you can sit in front of the net on a powerplay and score garbage goals, which he should have way more of if he could move around and get open instead of just sitting ****ing still. He is a damn pylon out there when the play is actually moving from one zone to the next.

Lets jump-start Seto by putting him up with Koivu and Parise!

Heatley will outproduce Setoguchi on that top line 99.9999% of the time. Call them garbage goals or whatever you want but Heatley has proven in his career, last season and this season that he is 10 times the player Devin Setoguchi is. Heatley scored 24 goals with Warren Peters and on one knee last year..5 more than Setoguchi who played with better players for the most part playing with Cullen.

Heatley right now has how many goals?? Setoguchi has how many goals? Setoguchi isn't that good. Your comparing apples to oranges here.

Last edited:

Beegoalie

Dec 21, 2011
Pominville Minnesota
Atleast right now they are not. Rookie who can't do much and a shooting winger who has 10 shots most of them coming from his own work.

I can picture 4-6 shots of his that came directly off of a Granlund feed. 3 of which were right in the slot and in spots where a "Sniper" like Setoguchi should have finished. I don't care what the excuse is this year for him...were 9 games in and he hasn't scored...

At his pace we may as well throw Kassian into his role, heck he might even have a goal with all those minutes.

Seto has been Brutal. Period.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
Heatley will outproduce Setoguchi on that top line 99.9999% of the time. Call them garbage goals or whatever you want but Heatley has proven in his career, last season and this season that he is 10 times the player Devin Setoguchi is. Heatley scored 24 goals with Warren Peters last year..5 more than Setoguchi who played with better players for the most part playing with Cullen.

Heatley right now has how many goals?? Setoguchi has how many goals? Setoguchi isn't that good. Your comparing apples to oranges here.

your argument is really ridiculous. just re-read it and think about what you're saying and how you might possibly be undermining your own argument. (i do agree with your premise--Heatley is vastly better than Seto)

RussosBurner

Jun 19, 2012
State of Hockey

Da hell?

It's not necessarily that they need better players. Just the right ones. I don't think the line combos have been right for either of them.

brainfreeze

Jul 12, 2012
Bemidji
I really wanted to see him on a line with a healthy Bouchard this year. Hoping that with his speed and shot maybe they could have some instant chemistry like Bouchard and Rolston once had. I've never questioned his effort but Seto just doesn't seem to know how to find or create holes to get set up in. Of course it probably didn't help that the few times they were on the same line they were centered by the struggling young Granlund. Keep him hoping he ups his trade value I guess?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad