OT: What to do in Toronto during the World Cup?

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
for a good bar with rock music at night, I think only open from Thursday to Saturday, try 2Cats

Mitts Marner*

Going to every world cup game, and only okay with spending $200 on dinner a couple of times.

Wanna be friends?

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
Thank so much guys for the tips so far.

No limit budget wise. Obviously every night I'm not looking for a $200 per person steak dinner, but a couple times throughout the stay would be nice.

How about right around the arena in between games? Most days are 3pm and 8pm games which leaves max 1-2 hours in between to grab food. Any places somewhat convenient to get to that wont be crazy packed?

How about the bar scene after games? Going to be my dad and I (70 and 30) so not looking for any dj places or "clubs". More places to get a good real drink or good beer that again wont be overly packed with other clueless tourists like me.

Go to Steam-Whistle brewery and do the tour. It's like $15 bucks per person - you get a pint of fresh beer during the tour and you leave with a 6-pack. It pretty much pays for itself.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
If you like you like Jazz/Blues, The Rex Hotel Jazz and Blues bar is a pretty nice place to check out.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
What Hotel are you staying at.....many good ones that have great food options close to the ACC. The Westin is real close and I loved
Toula Restaurant and Bar has a great view and food was good, on the 38th floor. As well The Chartroom Bar and Lounge was great for Lunch and drinks.

Maybe booked already with Players etc....certain to see players here.

Also another vote for going to Kensington Market

jayswagger

May 20, 2011
Toronto, ON
Here's some recommendations:

• The Second City (Amazing sketch comedy, second one after the first in Chicago)
  • Distillery District - Eclectic Restaurants and pubs
  • St Lawrence Market - Farmers market with unique shopping, and the area is filled with good restaurants and culture
  • High Park / Bloor West Village - Fantastic for walking, good restaurants and some good street parking (cheap) - right on subway line
  • Jazz Clubs - Would check out "The Rex", "Jazz Bistro" and the Old Mill Inn and Spa
  • Hockey Hall of Fame
  • The Path - Underground path with shops, good restaurants and connects a large portion of Downtown together
  • Cottage Country - Timing will be excellent for fall colours, would check out Orillia, Collingwood, Kawartha Lakes. Simple day trips or longer if needed
  • Niagara Falls - Not far at all from Toronto, depending on where you're staying
  • Niagara on the Lake - Beautiful area not in the falls area. Excellent outlet shopping right off the highway, plus fantastic restaurants/gelato with an organic flair...all locally sourced. Wine Tours with Jackson Triggs, Wayne Gretzskys and other niagara wines offering tours. Highly recommend "Treadwell - Farm to Table" restaurant on the lake area

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Pacific Mall if you are driving. A bit out of the way.
I personally like the Beaches area ( Queens + Woodbine). They have nice boutiques and nice restaurants
For late night indian food, Church and Bloor, Kings Palace

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Tons of great things to do but the only must for any tourist is a Back Bacon Sandwich at The St Lawrence Market.

chatty4756

Apr 6, 2016
You should take the time to visit the bacon nation restaurant. Everything bacon. I got a bacon wrapped jumbo corn dog there that will give you a heart attack but its worth it

NikoPopp

Dec 19, 2013
distillery district is having some world cup fan thing going on and its a nice old area with restaurants and stores.

King west from spadina to bathurst is my favourite stretch of restaurants / bars / clubs. Got everything from expensive to cheap to ******* club to British style pubs etc.

Also, go up the CN Tower if you've never been.

HogTown06

Jul 20, 2012
Hammonds Plains
People already mentioned the best things to do, AGO, ROM, Ripley's Aquarium, CN Tower, etc.

Also if you enjoy spending time outside there's the option of renting a canoe or kayak at the Harbour Front Centre and paddling to the islands (takes about 10 to 20 minutes to cross), fun experience to be near nature and still have views of Toronto skyline and all the action from Billy Bishop airport.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
If anyone in your group is a vegetarian or vegan - Fresh restaurant ton Queen or Spadina is a really good place to eat. I'm not a veggie but my wife is and I love Fresh - impressive eating experience. 4 locations.

http://freshrestaurants.ca

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
The Polish Festival is being held on the first weekend of the tournament (17th-18th). It's not what it once was, as the neighbourhood really isn't overly Polish even compared to 20-30 years ago, but there are a few good Polish restaurants left, plus the street vendors, live music, traditional dance groups, etc. While it's not one of Toronto's premier festivals anymore, it will give you a taste of the ethnic festivities that happen year-around in this city. To get there, take the Bloor-Danforth (Green) subway line to Dundas West station and then it's about a ten-minute walk directly south (there's a fork in the road where Dundas breaks towards the east, continue going south/to the right, on Roncesvalles). The neighbourhood along Dundas isn't the best but it's not unsafe either.

The Ukrainian Festival is also happening the same weekend (16th-19th). Never made sense to me why they have it on the same weekend. I've never been, but it could also be an option. To get there, go three stops further on the Bloor-Danforth line to Runneymede Station. Polish pierogies are better though. Just saying.:sarcasm:

Other than that, lots of good suggestions in this thread. The ROM is probably Canada's top museum. The Aga Khan Museum at Eglinton and Don Mills (it's a bit of a trek from Downtown and you'll need to take a cab... the Eglinton subway line won't open until 2020) is an Islamic art and antiques museum and one of the top museums of its kind outside of the Middle East. St. Lawrence Market and Distillery District is worth checking out. And if you can, make the trek out to Niagara Falls. The city has it's own mini-Vegas vibe going, it has obviously the Falls themselves, and if your into wine, the surrounding area offers some wonderful wine tours.

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
you might try to score Green Day tickets, they are playing the last day of the tournament as the close out event. $25 a pop, go on sale 10 am Thursday.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Horrible reviews
Many better places.

Not 3 in the morning. Everything tastes good when you are hungry and can't find a place that's open

Maybe becacuse I am always half drunk when I am there it doesn't bother me

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
I don't think anyone has mentioned Queen's Quay as of yet. Just walk south from the ACC and in, like, 5 minutes, you're there! There's often free music and entertainment in that area (Harbourfront Square). There are also restaurants and a very nice bar that overlooks the lake (Amsterdam Brewhouse).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad