OT: What to do in Toronto during the World Cup?

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
I am making the trip and am very excited to see so much hockey talent in such a short span for the World Cup.

I plan on attending every game, but was looking for some input on what do during my free time in Toronto. I plan on hitting up the HHOF at least once and potentially some Blue Jays games as well.

Any must eat restaurants so I'm not stuck in the boring chain restaurants? Any other attractions, museums, strip clubs, bars, etc... that are worth checking out?

Thanks in advance!

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
TFC plays at home on the 18th and 24th. The Jays are at home from the 23rd to the 29th.

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
I am making the trip and am very excited to see so much hockey talent in such a short span for the World Cup.

I plan on attending every game, but was looking for some input on what do during my free time in Toronto. I plan on hitting up the HHOF at least once and potentially some Blue Jays games as well.

Any must eat restaurants so I'm not stuck in the boring chain restaurants? Any other attractions, museums, strip clubs, bars, etc... that are worth checking out?

Thanks in advance!

Ripley's Aquarium is pretty cool and it is right between the Sky Dome and the ACC.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
What's your budget like? Hard to give recommendations that avoid chains without really knowing this. PM if you would prefer to discuss it that way. BlogTO.com does great lists for cheaper eats, and mainly focuses on the downtown core (or things that are fairly accessible).

http://www.blogto.com/toronto/

As for higher-end stuff, shoot me a msg. But I'd say for starters if you are looking for an amazing wine list and great meal go to Opus just outside of Yorkville, and steakhouse wise I'd recommend Jacobs. Real Sports is a cool experience, but overpriced for what it is.

Museum-wise, I'd go to the AGO over the ROM, has a great collection of group of 7's and usually has some interesting visiting exhibits. Hockey Hall of Fame is a cool experience for a fan (and within a 5-minute walk of the ACC).

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
What's your budget like? Hard to give recommendations that avoid chains without really knowing this. PM if you would prefer to discuss it that way. BlogTO.com does great lists for cheaper eats, and mainly focuses on the downtown core (or things that are fairly accessible).

As for higher-end stuff, shoot me a msg. But I'd say for starters if you are looking for an amazing wine list and great meal go to Opus just outside of Yorkville, and steakhouse wise I'd recommend Jacobs. Real Sports is a cool experience, but overpriced for what it is.

Museum-wise, I'd go to the AGO over the ROM, has a great collection of group of 7's and usually has some interesting visiting exhibits. Hockey Hall of Fame is a cool experience for a fan (and within a 5-minute walk of the ACC).

Whoa whoa whoa. Nothing wrong with the AGO but the ROM is one of the best museums in North America.

HHoF is required as far as I am concerned especially if you are coming here on a hockey vacation. The Old Spaghetti Factory is cheesy and great for a family spot but probably not the best place. The Barberian Steakhouse is always great food if not a little pricey. Queen St is decent for walking and shopping and is close enough to the Eaton Center as well.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
A boat tour of the harbour gives you a great view of the skyline and an introduction to the Toronto Islands. The Islands are like another part of the country compared to the city. I would recommend http://www.harbourtourstoronto.ca/. Get som Beaver Tails while you are there.

I agree that the Royal Ontario Museum is worth seeing. If you had family, I would recommend the zoo but I assume that is not the case. Go up the CN tower, long the tallest freestanding structure in the world and still the tallest in North America. Definitely go to a Jays game in the Dome. Arrive early because of the new security precautions.

Toronto is incredibly multicultural which translates to a huge variety of ethnic foods. I would try a couple of ethnic cuisines you are not familiar with. Get out of the downtown core to the ethnic areas for good food at a good price. Some of the better known ones are Greektown on the Danforth, Chines and Vietnamese on Spadina and Dundas, the Korean area on Bloor W and the Indian restaurants on Gerrard. The transit system, the TTC, will get you there easily.

Toronto is the number three English speaking city for live theatre in the world, after New York and London. If that interests you, try them out.

Last edited:

ForSpareParts*

The Junction:

Night life
Micro breweries
Restaurants
Sexy DJ's
Bar with free food (Shamone)

The hood is also near High Park which is awesome.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
The ROM currently has the chihuly exhibit currently which is definitely one of the bestie seen them put on and is a must see, then again I'm a sucker for glass art.
King st. West has some trendy restaurants and bars.
TiFF literally ends the day the WCH starts up do if you're into indie films and celebrity watching its up there with Cannes and sun dance.

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008

Thank so much guys for the tips so far.

No limit budget wise. Obviously every night I'm not looking for a $200 per person steak dinner, but a couple times throughout the stay would be nice.

How about right around the arena in between games? Most days are 3pm and 8pm games which leaves max 1-2 hours in between to grab food. Any places somewhat convenient to get to that wont be crazy packed?

How about the bar scene after games? Going to be my dad and I (70 and 30) so not looking for any dj places or "clubs". More places to get a good real drink or good beer that again wont be overly packed with other clueless tourists like me.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

No limit budget wise. Obviously every night I'm not looking for a $200 per person steak dinner, but a couple times throughout the stay would be nice.

How about right around the arena in between games? Most days are 3pm and 8pm games which leaves max 1-2 hours in between to grab food. Any places somewhat convenient to get to that wont be crazy packed?

How about the bar scene after games? Going to be my dad and I (70 and 30) so not looking for any dj places or "clubs". More places to get a good real drink or good beer that again wont be overly packed with other clueless tourists like me.
Sent you a PM with some info on the good spots. As for around the arena there really is a bunch of options, it is just in the heart of downtown not too far from the financial district. Nightlife wise it always changes around there, but there are countless options. A significant portion of our population now lives there, so it won't feel like a tourist area. Hopefully some season ticket holders have recommendations for more mature bars. Real Sports is a cool experience to kill time with a good (but pricey for what it is menu) and practically every sports game on. I would recommend The Library in the Royal York hotel as a good place to grab a drink off the top of my head.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton

Thanks in advance!

Gretzky's Restaurant/bar on 99 Blue Jays Way
Toronto Island
Hoops Sports Bar just outside ACC
Casa Loma was pretty neat.
CN Tower if you're not afraid of heights.
Fran's restaurant. Just off Front St. and Yonge. They had an awesome Lasagna the last time I was there.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Distillery district is pretty neat.

St. Lawrence market was ranked as the top food market in the world by national geographic, good spot for a cheap lunch.

Ripley's Aquarium is definitely worth a visit. The Toronto zoo is as well, it's one of the larger zoos in the world, but it's also a decent trek from downtown.

Maybe see if there's anything related to TIFF that fits your schedule.

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008

Real sports Bar and Grill is a good place to check out and grab some food. It is right there with the ACC too which is convenient.

AlMo

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
the restaurant Seven is steps from the ACC if you want to eat at real restaurant rather than a sports bar in between games, it is a pricier place but the food is good. You could also check out Canoe, 50 floors up and a great view of city.

ForSpareParts*

Art galleries
Cafes
Whip-poor-will restaurant
Warehouse parties
Strip joints

All in the Bloor and Lansdowne area of Toronto

ForSpareParts*

Lakeview restaurant

Dundas and Ossington

Open 24 hours

Beer and wine specials everyday

Unlovable
Get Well (bar and arcade)

Dundas st. West of Ossington

themightyquinn

Jun 10, 2007
Toronto
A lot of good suggestions so far.

I may have missed it so I'm not sure if you're driving or flying in where you're from, but a day trip to Niagara Falls would be good too since it's only 90 minutes away. If you're driving in, it's a very easy drive on 1 road. If you're flying in, your hotel can set you up with a tour operator that will run day trips out and back for pretty cheap.

They have an awesome boat tour that used to be called Maid Of The Mist (not sure what it is called now) but the boat takes you right up to the edge of the falls for some great views. A fun way to spend a morning and quite a sight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad