Speculation: What to do about Bob?

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
I assume you're talking to me?

Tell me how I'm changing my narrative. I'm looking at his entire body of work (hence "for quite some time"), you're looking at two weeks in which he was simply better than he had been up to that point, which has been followed by another bad regular season.
Didn't know this regular season is over? Far from it. Everyone needs to relax. People put too much sauce into what happened two or three years ago . I forgot about it , since the Panthers didn't win the Stanley Cup .
Bob's not going nowhere. He's not getting bought out. He's not getting set down. Play the guy then his value can get higher so you can trade him and play Knight once he figures it out.

He was good in playoffs. He’s sucked 90 percent of his time here. Good goalies cover for mistakes. No team makes no mistakes.
If you're going to bring up his earlier time with the panthers, then I'm inclined to talk about how the guy has won two Vesina trophies..

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Didn't know this regular season is over? Far from it. Everyone needs to relax. People put too much sauce into what happened two or three years ago . I forgot about it , since the Panthers didn't win the Stanley Cup .
Bob's not going nowhere. He's not getting bought out. He's not getting set down. Play the guy then his value can get higher so you can trade him and play Knight once he figures it out.

If you're going to bring up his earlier time with the panthers, then I'm inclined to talk about how the guy has won two Vesina trophies..
He hasn’t even been close to winning a vezina here. I’d argue he’s been closer to being an AHL goalie his entire tenure here.

PSLguy

#TimeToHunt
Jan 14, 2013
Port St. Lucie, FL
Bob has been a huge disappointment during his time here. I can't blame him for his contract, that's on Panthers management, not Bob.

He played very good last year and during the playoffs. Swaggy and he carried the team as no one decided to show up.

However, based on his body of work since he arrived here I must agree with @StrangeVision that last season was an aberration and this year he has returned to form.

Give Bob until New Year's to work it out and if he doesn't, play Spencer 60/40 or 70/30. Force Bob to earn his net back. He didn't get where he is without a competitive spirit in him.

sinDer

Nov 22, 2006
Drummondville, QC
Bob has been a huge disappointment during his time here. I can't blame him for his contract, that's on Panthers management, not Bob.

He played very good last year and during the playoffs. Swaggy and he carried the team as no one decided to show up.

However, based on his body of work since he arrived here I must agree with @StrangeVision that last season was an aberration and this year he has returned to form.

Give Bob until New Year's to work it out and if he doesn't, play Spencer 60/40 or 70/30. Force Bob to earn his net back. He didn't get where he is without a competitive spirit in him.

The thing is that Knight is probably not ready to play 60/40, let alone 70/30! He hasn't shown he can be a real #1 any time soon in this league.

Call me crazy, but I think Knight has been rushed in the NHL and should be playing in the AHL right now. Or being a #2 in the NHL behind an actual #1 goalie and a good D. But not with this team.

Reactions: letsgrowcactus

Prominence Problem

Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
The thing is that Knight is probably not ready to play 60/40, let alone 70/30! He hasn't shown he can be a real #1 any time soon in this league.

Call me crazy, but I think Knight has been rushed in the NHL and should be playing in the AHL right now. Or being a #2 in the NHL behind an actual #1 goalie and a good D. But not with this team.
The way this team's defense is playing, will ruin Knight

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
Okay then, for this year, will Bob GAA and SV% be closer to his first two years with the team or the series against Tampa? (or you can make it his two Vezina seasons since you brought those up)

So closer to .902 & 3.10 or .919 & 2.5? What do you honestly believe?

Prominence Problem

Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Okay then, for this year, will Bob GAA and SV% be closer to his first two years with the team or the series against Tampa? (or you can make it his two Vezina seasons since you brought those up)

So closer to .902 & 3.10 or .919 & 2.5? What do you honestly believe?
I honestly believe he'll get 22 shutouts in a row.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
The way this team's defense is playing, will ruin Knight
I don’t buy this argument. Goalies need to have a thicker skin, and if they keep letting in 5-hole or glove side or blocker side goals, they need to PRACTICE the areas they suck at. I mean, what’s this, kindergarten?

The goalies suck right now. Period. End of story. Hope someone’s on point to fix that shitshow.

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
He was good in playoffs. His defense sucked 90 percent of his time here. Good goalies cover for mistakes. No team makes no mistakes.

fixed that for you.

while it's true that mistakes are a part of the game, you cannot expect your goaltender to cover for *all* of your terrible defensive plays. furthermore, no goalie can cover for the types of breakdowns we saw sunday.

i'm not totally letting bob or knight off the hook here. they've both let in a few greasy goals. they haven't been spectacular (at least not consistently).

just pointing out that it's a team sport. SP is not solely a function of your goalie's performance. never was and never will be.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
fixed that for you.

while it's true that mistakes are a part of the game, you cannot expect your goaltender to cover for *all* of your terrible defensive plays. furthermore, no goalie can cover for the types of breakdowns we saw sunday.

i'm not totally letting bob or knight off the hook here. they've both let in a few greasy goals. they haven't been spectacular (at least not consistently).

just pointing out that it's a team sport. SP is not solely a function of your goalie's performance. never was and never will be.
We are not even close to the worst defensive team in the league. The consistent defense of Bob is actually sickening on this board. He makes 10 million f***ing dollars and rarely covers for mistakes. He is paid to be a difference maker and it’s one, in a terrible way. He is putting up numbers that gets rookies benched, let alone a starting goalie.

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007
Outside his last year, Luongo never posted a SV% below .914 in Florida. Are people really going to sit there and say Bob can barely manage a .900 on this team? I know we all want Bob to be good, but sometimes you just need to see the forest for the trees. Bob's SV% is 48th in the league right now, there is no justification for that, not for someone with his pedigree getting paid what he does. If he was a goalie on a league minimum one-year contract, he'd have been waived by now, hell they might consider waiving him now if it wasn't for his NMC and the years left on his contract.

Just for more context, since he joined the Panthers, he ranks 60th in the league in SV% (.905) and 58th in GAA (2.98). He's been one of the worst investments in NHL history.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Outside his last year, Luongo never posted a SV% below .914 in Florida. Are people really going to sit there and say Bob can barely manage a .900 on this team? I know we all want Bob to be good, but sometimes you just need to see the forest for the trees. Bob's SV% is 48th in the league right now, there is no justification for that, not for someone with his pedigree getting paid what he does. If he was a goalie on a league minimum one-year contract, he'd have been waived by now, hell they might consider waiving him now if it wasn't for his NMC and the years left on his contract.

Just for more context, since he joined the Panthers, he ranks 60th in the league in SV% (.905) and 58th in GAA (2.98). He's been one of the worst investments in NHL history.
THANK YOU.

CaptainScrewy

Apr 9, 2003
Hollywood , Florida
Visit site
I would “like” a trade….but that ain’t happening unless Zito hypnotizes another GM and we also can’t afford to give up more assets.

Probable is a buyout, but if I’m not mistaken we still are on the hook with a 6.6 million cap hit until 2026 if we buy him out this summer. With 1.6 after that until 2029. Lovely isn’t it. As I said in the GDT, this will probably go down as one of the most crippling things in our franchise. It’s upsetting to think that we might only be able to scratch the surface and not be a dominant team because of this when we have quite possibly the tools and core in place to reach the promise land.

Any idea how much the buyout hit is if we keep him one more season after this year?

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
The only options are:

they buy him out after the season and deal with the consequences.

They continue to play him this season and hope they can convince him and another team to trade him with a lot of salary retained

They continue playing him this season AND next season and then convince a team that following offseason that isn’t on his 16NTC to accept a trade with a lot of salary retained

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
Any idea how much the buyout hit is if we keep him one more season after this year?
CAA1B884-499D-48CC-9A64-7BD2D1342A50.jpeg

Vs one more season
07E9B171-0593-4B79-AAAF-114A98E21C83.jpeg

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017

Pretty much nailed it.

I am rooting for Bob to turn it around and be successful here. But this is reality.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Pretty much nailed it.

I am rooting for Bob to turn it around and be successful here. But this is reality.
Same here, of course I’d love to see Bob back in form. But I have about 1% hopes of that happening. And, by the way, back in form doesn’t mean having one good game and sucking the next 4. It means putting together solid goalie work EVERY time like Vasy does. And somehow Ullmark is doing now.

What I really don’t get is why Bob isn’t working on his problem areas. He’s got the leakiest 5-hole in the league. It’s so f***ing obvious, yet nothing is ever done. Bob’s play is the definition of insanity: keep doing the same thing, expecting different results.

We got Mo partly because we needed a coach with balls instead of a Bruno-friend. What the hell is Mo doing? Stop the madness, bench Bob. Just bench him for the rest of the season if need be. Put him in hockey purgatory. Zito should be talking to him, saying Bob, we’re very very very close to the point of no return. You suck right now. Fix it, or I’m gonna cut my losses. Your choice Bob. Dasvidanya.

Prominence Problem

Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Does send to Ukraine work?

Does send to Ukraine work?
Is that a deathwish, or are you hoping he goes over and kills people's ancestors?

I've been waiting for people to start talking about the war in Ukraine. I thought there was no Politics on any fourm, but maybe I'm wrong.

Little Bobby Boo

Jul 30, 2014

Knight was rushed by his choice. Certain players will only sign out of college if they are guaranteed a spot in the NHL. I have zero doubts that Knight said "sign me and play me, or I may walk."

Reactions: Prominence Problem

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2