Speculation: What to do about Bob?

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
I would “like” a trade….but that ain’t happening unless Zito hypnotizes another GM and we also can’t afford to give up more assets.

Probable is a buyout, but if I’m not mistaken we still are on the hook with a 6.6 million cap hit until 2026 if we buy him out this summer. With 1.6 after that until 2029. Lovely isn’t it. As I said in the GDT, this will probably go down as one of the most crippling things in our franchise. It’s upsetting to think that we might only be able to scratch the surface and not be a dominant team because of this when we have quite possibly the tools and core in place to reach the promise land.

Reactions: letsgrowcactus

Boothinator

@MrBoothinator
Sep 19, 2009
Send him to the Moon along with Tallas. Don't understand how this guy gets a free pass every f***ing time

Reactions: 16Skippy

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
There's nothing that can be done. His contract is the very definition of UNMOVABLE. It is what it is. We're going to have to suffer through swiss cheese in net at $10 f***ing million per until it expires. A buyout is crippling and not a single manager in this league would ever trade for a goalie who would be overpaid at $4 million, let alone TEN.

scholl

Jun 26, 2019
Helsinki, Finland
As I said in the GDT, this will probably go down as one of the most crippling things in our franchise. It’s upsetting to think that we might only be able to scratch the surface and not be a dominant team because of this when we have quite possibly the tools and core in place to reach the promise land.
When Q resigned, the journey towards Stanley Cup died. Now the situation is that they try to make all kind of moves but nothing works and the end result is everytime worse than what the situation was before that move.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Had he played well like a good even if not great starter, there was a chance to retain 4-5 mill and trade him. Yes, massive retention that would suck but better than a buyout.
Right now, it looks like we're f-ed.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Florida will have to retain at least $3 to 4 mil

Middle team will retain $1 to 1.5 million for a 2nd + Denisenko

Buying team gets him basically at 5 mil and we take back a bit of money in an expiring deal at bloated cap hit

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
Had he played well like a good even if not great starter, there was a chance to retain 4-5 mill and trade him. Yes, massive retention that would suck but better than a buyout.
Right now, it looks like we're f-ed.

Yeah but if he's playing like even an average starter, we're not having this conversation and the team would have like an extra 3 wins.

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..

Didn't this happened less than a week ago, when everyone was singing his praises?
Not even going to go into His Brilliant play in the playoffs last season.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Yeah but if he's playing like even an average starter, we're not having this conversation and the team would have like an extra 3 wins.
I mean, if both Knight and Bob looked good in the starting job, I'd move Bob immediately... unfortunately that's not the case.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida

Didn't this happened less than a week ago, when everyone was singing his praises?

He has a save percentage that is a disgrace for a goalie making 2 mil let alone 10. One game doesn’t mean anything. Any goalie can have a stellar game for 1 game.

Last edited:

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007

One good game followed by two bad games does not a successful goalie make, that's basically being a backup goalie. He's currently running a 3.62 GAA and .888 SV%, those are terrible numbers. Terrible. An NHL calibre goalie shouldn't have those numbers even behind a bad defense. Bob has been bad, and for quite some time.

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007
For quite some time, like the playoffs last year?

Compared to his full body of work in Florida, it would be more accurate to characterize that stretch of games as an aberration rather than predictive of his future performance or reflective of his performance to date. His time in Florida has been bad. Very bad. Even worse when you actually look at his contract. A good stretch of games that ultimately led to a sweep in the 2nd round doesn't change the rest of the (soon-to-be) four years he's been here.

You're acting like he was 2003 Giguere or 2011 Thomas when in actuality he was just barely finally performing up to his contract standards. A goalie can carry a team quite a ways in the playoffs and while Bob was good, he didn't really come close to that.

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
I pointed out he was good last playoffs, and you're changing your narrative. Funny.

2 good games but sits at a below 890 save percentage. I’m not getting it. Knight on the other hand hasn’t been great but he’s at a .918.
Pretty sure it has more to do with the goalie for Save percentage. Not sure Bob causes all the breakaways and odd man rushes we've seen the last two games.

Interesting last game when Bob made huge saves, he got no recognition for it.

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007
I pointed out he was good last playoffs, and you're changing your narrative. Funny.

I assume you're talking to me?

Tell me how I'm changing my narrative. I'm looking at his entire body of work (hence "for quite some time"), you're looking at two weeks in which he was simply better than he had been up to that point, which has been followed by another bad regular season.

Reactions: RogerRoger

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida

Pretty sure it has more to do with the goalie for Save percentage. Not sure Bob causes all the breakaways and odd man rushes we've seen the last two games.

Interesting last game when Bob made huge saves, he got no recognition for it.
He was good in playoffs. He’s sucked 90 percent of his time here. Good goalies cover for mistakes. No team makes no mistakes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad