What the Leafs need to "fix"

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario
The fix in my mind is really a simple but the execution will be really difficult because it's fixing whats between each players ears.

We've lost the identity we built up last year being one of the harder teams to play against. The 2nd period vs the Bruins proved what this team is capable when they start using our speed and toughness, the combination is crazy good and even the big bad Bruins were in a state of panic / retreat.

Until you fix they style of game the Leafs are playing, changing players, coaches etc don't matter one bit.
Agreed. They've abandoned their winning "formula" from last year.it's like they truly believe the goalies will always be able to bail them out and they will score enough to win. They are being passive/reactive rather than proactive.

AllHeartNoSkill

Nov 23, 2008
Agreed. They've abandoned their winning "formula" from last year.it's like they truly believe the goalies will always be able to bail them out and they will score enough to win. They are being passive/reactive rather than proactive.

That's almost more frustrating than having a team that's just plain bad. It's like saying that they CAN play... but don't. Is that a leadership issue? Is there still a country club culture in the locker room?

yakfish

"Holy Mackinaw!"
Dec 21, 2012
Ohio
The only thing this team needs is heart. They put forth effort for 20 minutes against the bruins. Not going to cut it.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
That's almost more frustrating than having a team that's just plain bad. It's like saying that they CAN play... but don't. Is that a leadership issue? Is there still a country club culture in the locker room?

I think its a mix of immaturity and cockiness- The Leafs are cocky in the sense they think they can be passive and allow the other team to outshoot them by a 3-1 ratio and expect to come back with 1-2 quick strikes. They are immature in the sense they panic under pressure and resort to making the worst possible decision with the puck whether it be blatnaly turning it over in their own, half heartledly chucking it off the wall or just flat out dumping it into the other team's zone.

I am really disappointed in this squad, you would think they would have learned a valuable lesson from Game 7 last playoffs but instead they continue to do the exact same things that cost us a birth into the 2nd round. Also Nonis added a lot of maturity in the offseason (Clarkson, Raymond, Bolland, Bernier) yet this team is still as emotionally raw and immature as they were last year.

I really am at a loss for words here as to how they go about fixing this.

jimmycarter

Jun 12, 2010
I think its a mix of immaturity and cockiness- The Leafs are cocky in the sense they think they can be passive and allow the other team to outshoot them by a 3-1 ratio and expect to come back with 1-2 quick strikes. They are immature in the sense they panic under pressure and resort to making the worst possible decision with the puck whether it be blatnaly turning it over in their own, half heartledly chucking it off the wall or just flat out dumping it into the other team's zone.

Nonis added a lot of maturity in the offseason (Clarkson, Raymond, Bolland, Bernier) yet this team is still as emotionally raw and immature as they were last year.

I really am at a loss for words here as to how they go about fixing this.

i agree with the first part.

but clarkson and bolland have big expectations. raymond is coming off injury and bernier is trying to prove he is a #1 in the league. doesnt get any more emotionally raw than that.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
They need to do something about their depth. That's how they can fix their problems.

Oct 19, 2007
Some goal scoring would be great.. Leafs have scored 19 goals ( not counting eng) in last 10 games. Record has been 5-5.

Penalty Kill Icing*

A lot of things actually....

- Our scoring has disappeared in past 3 games. 2 goals in 3 games.
- 25th in NHL in faceoffs.
- C depth. None whatsoever. Nonis has screwed up bigtime on C depth. We don't have C prospects in system either. [Gauthier is far far away].
- Our penalty kill has given up PPG in 9 of last 12 games. Compound it with the fact that Leafs lead the NHL in minor penalties. You are not winning many games if you are on penalty kill most of the time.
- 1 period or 2 periods effort.
- OP is right.. forwards cheat a lot. And hence, we can't clear our zone.
- This defense is no better than the one that lost in Round 1 of playoffs last year. Why should we expect to do better this year?

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
- Stop getting injured so much
- Get a shutdown #2D
- Wait for Kadri to win faceoffs

Well what do you propose? There should be a few defensemen moved out too then remember, because we have 10+ defensemen who could warrant some NHL playing time.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
A lot of things actually....

- Our scoring has disappeared in past 3 games. 2 goals in 3 games.
- 25th in NHL in faceoffs.
- C depth. None whatsoever. Nonis has screwed up bigtime on C depth. We don't have C prospects in system either. [Gauthier is far far away].
- Our penalty kill has given up PPG in 9 of last 12 games. Compound it with the fact that Leafs lead the NHL in minor penalties. You are not winning many games if you are on penalty kill most of the time.
- 1 period or 2 periods effort.
- OP is right.. forwards cheat a lot. And hence, we can't clear our zone.
- This defense is no better than the one that lost in Round 1 of playoffs last year. Why should we expect to do better this year?

We have center depth, Spencer Abbott, who should be ready for the NHL, can play center, Jamie Devane can as well. Plus we've signed a couple new bottom pairing guys like Smithson, though I wouldn't mind them shifting some depth around, maybe get a new rookie AHL center for a guy like Holzer who can play in the NHL on most teams.

As for the defense, I think we need to move some of the offensive defensemen for defensive defensemen, even if it means we have to trade a couple of them. I think it was a huge mistake to keep Rielly on, I have since the preseason, and now I'm right, he's not performing well, and he's an offensive defenseman on a team with some of the top offensive defensemen in the league. What were they thinking there?!

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Fix, to win a cup?

Same as before number 2 shutdown Dman to help Phaneuff and a top center. Still impossible because of cap. We could trade Gunner to make room, problem is at $3.5M, who would want him? Nope ,injuries are the issue, play more toughness, it is a long 82 game season with the Olympics in the middle. Bring out the foot soldiers.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
Same as before number 2 shutdown Dman to help Phaneuff and a top center. Still impossible because of cap. We could trade Gunner to make room, problem is at $3.5M, who would want him? Nope ,injuries are the issue, play more toughness, it is a long 82 game season with the Olympics in the middle. Bring out the foot soldiers.

Adding a player or two wont fix this, its a team mental problem and what needs to happen is a changing of the mindset. I remember Lupul was interviewed on TSN last year during a game intermission and they asked him something about being outshot and he replied "We don't care how many shots we give up, as long as its from the outside". That right there is the problem the Leafs are content at playing a passive style and hoping they're goalie holds them in it, it doesn't matter if you keep the teams to the outside because if you keep letting them shoot eventually an outside or point shot is going to trickle in at somepoint. The Leafs need to apply an aggressive mentality in all zones, instead of collapsing back in front of their goalie and giving the other team time/space to set up they should be challenging the points and forcing them into making a bad pass or turnover, if they can do that they'll limit the time spend in their own end. In the offensive end they need to stop with this BS of dumping it in, because its NOT working instead they need to use their speed to back the defense off opening up time/space for quality shots, if they do that then they spend more time in the other teams end and get more shots and a better chance of scoring goals.

This boils down to Randy becoming more open minded and willing to change his stratgey and the players being opened enough to buy into it as a team.

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario
Adding a player or two wont fix this, its a team mental problem and what needs to happen is a changing of the mindset. I remember Lupul was interviewed on TSN last year during a game intermission and they asked him something about being outshot and he replied "We don't care how many shots we give up, as long as its from the outside". That right there is the problem the Leafs are content at playing a passive style and hoping they're goalie holds them in it, it doesn't matter if you keep the teams to the outside because if you keep letting them shoot eventually an outside or point shot is going to trickle in at somepoint. The Leafs need to apply an aggressive mentality in all zones, instead of collapsing back in front of their goalie and giving the other team time/space to set up they should be challenging the points and forcing them into making a bad pass or turnover, if they can do that they'll limit the time spend in their own end. In the offensive end they need to stop with this BS of dumping it in, because its NOT working instead they need to use their speed to back the defense off opening up time/space for quality shots, if they do that then they spend more time in the other teams end and get more shots and a better chance of scoring goals.

This boils down to Randy becoming more open minded and willing to change his stratgey and the players being opened enough to buy into it as a team.

I agree. When I watched the Boston/Leafs series last spring I was excited due to the style of game Toronto were playing. I love fast paced, hard hitting hockey with skill added in and in retrospect I enjoyed the different styles of the two teams and how they took turns imposing their wills/styles on each other. I wasn't as disappointed as I thought I would be due to this fact. Besides being a long time Leafs fan, I am a fan of the game and overall don't like the modern style. This series was enjoyable as a hockey fan and I thought we were finally creating an identity going forward. I don't see this identity this year and find it more than disappointing. I too believe we need a more open-minded coach. Carlyle is obviously a good coach but not the right one for this team. I know many love him and I appreciate that.He has many good qualities. Just not the right style in my opinion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad