What the Leafs need to "fix"

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario
Despite our record here is why I think the Leafs might struggle to make the playoffs... 1) Getting the puck out of their own zone. I believe their are two main reasons for this, one being the fact that the forwards are usually too far ahead of the play forcing the defence to try and make passes under pressure through too many opponents . Secondly when we are back in our own zone we lose far too many puck battles...2) Our defence is too soft and/or inexperienced...3) Fanatical line matching reduces our ability to forecheck consistently and be in position defensively in our own zone and have a flow to our game...4) Not having a 4th line capable of playing 8-10 minutes a game which causes more fatigue to the other 9 forwards which adds up over an 82 game schedule and into the playoffs (assuming we get there). In my opinion reducing these weaknesses added to our strengths, which are opportunistic scoring, special teams and a great goalie tandem, could improve us tremendously. Some of these problems are coaching related. Some are personnel related....Thoughts?

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
Alright I am going to be blunt about this.... Next time you make a long post involving points can you maybe break them apart and not make it a wall of text. You will get your point across and wont have people like me growing annoyed at trying to read the block of text.

As for the problem. We still need a sound defensive D man for our top 4 imo. Personally if I am Nonis I am continuing to watch the NYR situation and finding out if they will move Girardi.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
People are so skeptical. Yea, they are not perfect. But they have one of the best records in the NHL since January, and that is a big sample size. I am not too worried.

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
Despite our record here is why I think the Leafs might struggle to make the playoffs... 1) Getting the puck out of their own zone. I believe their are two main reasons for this, one being the fact that the forwards are usually too far ahead of the play forcing the defence to try and make passes under pressure through too many opponents . Secondly when we are back in our own zone we lose far too many puck battles...2) Our defence is too soft and/or inexperienced...3) Fanatical line matching reduces our ability to forecheck consistently and be in position defensively in our own zone and have a flow to our game...4) Not having a 4th line capable of playing 8-10 minutes a game which causes more fatigue to the other 9 forwards which adds up over an 82 game schedule and into the playoffs (assuming we get there). In my opinion reducing these weaknesses added to our strengths, which are opportunistic scoring, special teams and a great goalie tandem, could improve us tremendously. Some of these problems are coaching related. Some are personnel related....Thoughts?

Point 1) is a Carlyle tactic for some reason he's apposed to D men skating the puck out of the zone and leading the rush and it's one of my pet peeves with the coach... On the contrary to popular belief the Leafs are actually good in the defensive zone coverage but we expect perfection which is impossible and are over bairing in the process making things worst than they are. If D men like Gardiner and Morgan had the green light to lead the rush out of trouble like they can we wouldn't spend so much time in the D Zone cause it will also slow down the oppositions forecheck.

#FreeJakeGardiner & # FreeMorganRielly

2) D toughness is just fine...

3)Agree 100% this is why we're constantly being out shot and scrambly at times. Carlyle needs to lax a bit on the match up. It doesn't have to be so heavy where players get cold on the bench and getting caught with mixed lines almost every 2nd period with the long change

4) Is moot especially how Carlyle line matches heavy... not a weakness at all having 2 tough guys on the 4th line.

The #1 thing this team needs to improve on is it's offensive cycle as 5 man units.

Babscocks

Jan 7, 2011
Edmonton
We're "on pace" for a 55-27 season, I know we can probably fix some things like any other team in the league could, but lets start losing before we resort to that.

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
We're "on pace" for a 55-27 season, I know we can probably fix some things like any other team in the league could, but lets start losing before we resort to that.

you could be sitting with zero losses you never stop looking to improve your team game from bad habbits. When you get lax like that is when things quickly fall apart and it becomes a struggle after to improve.

Do I need to remind you of the 18 wheeler that fell off the cliff not so long ago?;)

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
Paul Ranger needs to stop sitting on our goalies. Paul Ranger needs to stop playing in general actually.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Ranger Fraser pairing needs to go, they both handle the puck like a grenade and cant get it out. Also the pk hasnt been as good without Bozak and Bolland.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
They aren't available.

You don't like the Sedins? Wow, that says something about your views.

They are great at what they do but are soft. You want to make us into the smurfs?

We already have to deal with Bozak and Raymond and Clarkson who looks like another *****cat tough guy sans the cerebral aspect. He Is quickly making a case for his comparable to be Armstrong.

I only really like... Lupul JVR Kessel Kadri Kulemin(potentially) Bolland. Dion, Gunner, Rielly.

Would like E. Staal, Kulemin to play with Lupul and Kadri, Komarov back, Simmonds,

Not saying dump Gardiner Franson Fraser but upgrades gotta come from somewhere.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
They are great at what they do but are soft. You want to make us into the smurfs?

We already have to deal with Bozak and Raymond and Clarkson who looks like another *****cat tough guy sans the cerebral aspect. He Is quickly making a case for his comparable to be Armstrong.

I only really like... Lupul JVR Kessel Kadri Kulemin(potentially) Bolland. Dion, Gunner, Rielly.

Would like E. Staal, Kulemin to play with Lupul and Kadri, Komarov back, Simmonds,

Not saying dump Gardiner Franson Fraser but upgrades gotta come from somewhere.

Actually we were fine until Bozak and Bolland went down, everyone wanted to anoint Kadri as the #1, but he isn't there yet.

There is no need to dump 1/4 of the team.

Are you tired of seeing JVR Kessel and Lupul together, I am.

Clearly JVR and Kessel are starting to miss Bozak, I am sure JVR is, playing Center was no picnic for him last night. Its a lot of hard work. Bozak does the unnoticed things on the PK and PP that allow Kessel and JVR to be better. Notice our PK and PP have not been the same since Bolland and Bozak were hurt.

But Bozak rides the coattails of Kessel. LOL

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
Actually we were fine until Bozak and Bolland went down, everyone wanted to anoint Kadri as the #1, but he isn't there yet.

Clearly JVR and Kessel are starting to miss Bozak, I am sure JVR is, playing Center was no picnic for him last night. Its a lot of hard work. Bozak does the unnoticed things on the PK and PP that allow Kessel and JVR to be better. Notice our PK and PP have not been the same since Bolland and Bozak were hurt.

You are absolutely right. Everyone loves to hate on Bozak but he does his job and allows his line mates more opportunities by extension. Sure, he could be upgraded but he is not some black hole that sucks everyone down.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

Admit it Staal and Simmonds would make us a contender

JVR Staal Kessel
Lupul Kadri Simmonds
Kulemin Bolland Raymond
----- Mc Komarov

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
You are absolutely right. Everyone loves to hate on Bozak but he does his job and allows his line mates more opportunities by extension. Sure, he could be upgraded but he is not some black hole that sucks everyone down.

Reminds me of when we tried Connolly, Lombardi, Steckel with Kessel and Lupul. Then Bozak by default and boom Kessel and Lupul start playing better.

Some will say this is all Kessel and Lupul, but clearly there was a reason why they played better when Bozak played between them. Now we are finding out, why RC and RW have went back to Bozak on the first line.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Leafs are built from the wingers IN, with the teams strength being in the least important position on a successful team. IMO

Expensive wingers, with weakness at center and defense is the root of our problems any why we get outplayed in most games.

While offensive talent is the strength of the wingers, their strength on puck and along the boards and defensively is their weakness.

If your defense core is questionable and your wingers can't help get the puck out of your own end, its going to lead to long puck possession in our own zone and a bogged down offense regularly. Without strong centers they opponents will further dominate the face off dot and time of possession.

When Leafs can boast that they're assembled "from the goalie out, through strong defense, with strength down the middle" then they will be FIXED!!. Making them contenders instead of pretenders.

DaveT83*

Need: Big 1C - I don't even care if they are skilled at this point ... gotta get some size/strength up the middle because our 165lb wingers simply can't compete against some of the bigger teams in NHL.

Settling presence on Defence: 30mins/night in back to back situations is too much for Dion - too much for 95% of NHL defence man. Franson isn't the answer. Toronto desperately needs a Hal Gill type that can clear bodies in front of net + win battles in corners. Doesn't have to be pretty. Just effective.

4th line with some offensive abilities. I love Orr/Frazer ... but if they can't get any time of possession in opponents sone they might as well just roll 3 lines. Forget about establishing a forecheck. Its a victory if they can chip the puck out of zone without taking a penalty/being scored on.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Franson either needs to be traded or paired back with Fraser and have his minutes scaled back, with Ranger sitting in the PB as the 7th d-man

Problem being you then have Gardiner and Rielly to sort out, since having them on the same pair for 5 on 5 play probably wouldn't work

IMO we deal Franson + to try and get a centre with Bolland/Bozak out (ideally Couturier, but something like that)

Turn around and try to pick up a player like Mark Fayne or Nikita Nitikin as a guy who can log top 4 minutes and play a more physical style ... It would be nice to upgrade Gunnar too but I don't see that being a priority at the moment

JVR - Couturier - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Clarkson
Kulemin - McClement/Bozak - Raymond
Orr/Ashton - Smithson/McClement - McLaren

Gunnarson - Phaneuf
Rielly/Gardiner - Fayne/Nikitin
Rielly Gardiner - Fraser
Ranger

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad