What the Jets need to address positionally this off season

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
I'm one of those who likes Myers. With his reach, he is another unique asset we have that virtually nobody else has. Plus, he can skate and puck handle like nobody else with his height. Sure, we get the odd "bad Myers" (like "bad Buff"), but once he strikes the right balance he is irreplaceable. He has helped this team big time on more than one occasion.

I agree that Enstrom's salary can be better used elsewhere. He is simply too small/weak to play that position the way he plays it. Plus, he offers virtually no offensive threat anymore. Niku is the obvious guy to take his place, but I really liked what Morrow brought to the table in the playoffs.

I think there's a good chance Paul Statsny may sign. Take it for what you will, but the grapevine suggests that he was looking for a house in Headingly already (again, that's a non-confirmed rumour, but my source was adamant). With Shief/Statsny/Little/Lowry, we're just fine down the middle. I still hold out a grain of hope for Petan, but this is his make-it-or-break-it season. It would be nice to have one up and coming centre who is still in his early 20's.

I'd still give Comrie another shot at the back-up.

With the team's success in the playoffs, and chance to play with young talent that we have, I have high hopes that we will do much better attracting free agents this coming season as well.

Jetsfan87

Aug 24, 2015
Ontario
I'm one of those who likes Myers. With his reach, he is another unique asset we have that virtually nobody else has. Plus, he can skate and puck handle like nobody else with his height. Sure, we get the odd "bad Myers" (like "bad Buff"), but once he strikes the right balance he is irreplaceable. He has helped this team big time on more than one occasion.

I agree that Enstrom's salary can be better used elsewhere. He is simply too small/weak to play that position the way he plays it. Plus, he offers virtually no offensive threat anymore. Niku is the obvious guy to take his place, but I really liked what Morrow brought to the table in the playoffs.

I think there's a good chance Paul Statsny may sign. Take it for what you will, but the grapevine suggests that he was looking for a house in Headingly already (again, that's a non-confirmed rumour, but my source was adamant). With Shief/Statsny/Little/Lowry, we're just fine down the middle. I still hold out a grain of hope for Petan, but this is his make-it-or-break-it season. It would be nice to have one up and coming centre who is still in his early 20's.

With the team's success in the playoffs, and chance to play with young talent that we have, I have high hopes that we will do much better attracting free agents this coming season as well.

I like Myers too, but he is a luxury that we now cannot afford. Someone has to go and to me he is the odd man out as far as our RHD are concerned (obviously depends on a Trouba extension).

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Helle was burned out. He played Vezina worthy hockey for the Jets for the entire season, and the first two rounds. I cannot believe you are comparing him to Pavelec. Pavelec was horrible, and only had one stretch of great play back in March 2015. Otherwise, he was a sub-par goalie, making too much, and given too much rope by Jets Management. With the exception of 2016-17, Helle has flourished in every level of hockey he has competed in. I have no doubt that he will be an elite goalie for the Jets, for years ahead.

I agree that Pavelec as horrible and we have more than enough evidence/data to prove that he was.

I also agree that it's extremely unlikely Hellebuyck is ever as bad as Pavelec. Even in 2016/2017 he was arguably better than Pavelec. We only have two full seasons of data on Helle but I'm prepared to agree that he's almost certainly a better goalie than Pavelec. I wasn't mentioning Pavs to compare quality of play, only the attitude insofar as Pavelec never owned his poor play either.

This isn't directed at you, but this is a position that has been beaten to death in the media and others. That somehow Mason's signing caused Heelbuyck to work harder. Mason wasn't signed until July 1st. Hence that narrative assumes Hellebuyck wasn't doing all he could for 3 months, and then in the last 2 months, he started working really hard after Mason was signed.

That's fair.

You folks are giving me evidence that Hellebuyck's cocksure attitude in front of the cameras is nothing to be concerned about. It's either bravado/BS for the media, or just supreme confidence, but either way he's not a guy to rest on his laurels.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
This isn't directed at you, but this is a position that has been beaten to death in the media and others. That somehow Mason's signing caused Hellebuyck to work harder. Mason wasn't signed until July 1st. Hence that narrative assumes Hellebuyck wasn't doing all he could for 3 months, and then in the last 2 months, he started working really hard after Mason was signed.

Yeah it's pretty well documented that Helle changed a lot of his support. Getting a new agent and trainers. He was well on his way to creating a better environment for himself before Mason was signed. A little competition never hurts but I don't think that's why Helle got better.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I have seen Petan exactly in the way how you described him. It’s quite a pity really, as I have seen him have pretty much NHL second line class of skills otherwise. I like his vision and passing skills and he has pretty good hands otherwise too.

Great set of hands, great vision, great passer. Lacks the foot speed, ability along the walls and defensive game to really excel in the NHL.

Reactions: Ippenator

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

From all the sources I have talked to or seen Stastny seems to love it here. His family likes it here. As much as Winnipeg is looked down on I'd much rather live there than anywhere in Missouri. If he does sign it would have to be a manageable contract in both term and dollars. I have faith that Chevy can get it done if both parties are interested.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Did he make the Jets look good, or did our talented forward and defence corps make him look good? I can't think of many games that he stole. I think in the playoffs the only game that he was the difference (in a positive way) in was game 1 against Nashville. That one he stole. He had a few stinkers, and then of course dropped four straight to Vegas three of which I'd pin on him.

IMO Hellebuyck was very good all year. The Jets also did a good job of making his job as easy as possible, but that works great with a goalie like Helle who's big, these days positionally sound and very calm in the net. A goalie like that very rarely looks like they are 'stealing' games, because the way they play they are very rarely in a position where they need to make a "big save" that looks fabulous on TV. A lot of Helle's big saves are actually saves where he does nothing but keeps calm, stays with the play and is there to stop the puck.

Vegas series he crapped two games though by giving up soft goals, or basically creating scoring chances for Vegas by himself right after the Jets had scored big goals. That was brutal. But still, overall he gave the team a chance to win, they just couldn't score enough. Wasn't a very good series from him by any means though...

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
^^^

(directed at Dax's post 'cause I hate this quote function)

This. If anyone note named Yzerman can ink this deal, it's Chevy.

I also think Roslo can be a very capable centre. He's a good to very good playmaker already, and even as a winger plays like a centre. He has the IQ, speed, hands and positional sense to learn on the job, and if playing as a 2b with Lowry should handle the curve well, IMO.

I'm a Petan fan, but I suspect he's on the move.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
IMO Hellebuyck was very good all year. The Jets also did a good job of making his job as easy as possible, but that works great with a goalie like Helle who's big, these days positionally sound and very calm in the net. A goalie like that very rarely looks like they are 'stealing' games, because the way they play they are very rarely in a position where they need to make a "big save" that looks fabulous on TV. A lot of Helle's big saves are actually saves where he does nothing but keeps calm, stays with the play and is there to stop the puck.

Vegas series he crapped two games though by giving up soft goals, or basically creating scoring chances for Vegas by himself right after the Jets had scored big goals. That was brutal. But still, overall he gave the team a chance to win, they just couldn't score enough. Wasn't a very good series from him by any means though...

Well said. Everyone has off games. Wouldn't have made it through Preds without him. Small mistakes get put under the microscope in playoffs.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
^^^

(directed at Dax's post 'cause I hate this quote function)

This. If anyone note named Yzerman can ink this deal, it's Chevy.

I also think Roslo can be a very capable centre. He's a good to very good playmaker already, and even as a winger plays like a centre. He has the IQ, speed, hands and positional sense to learn on the job, and if playing as a 2b with Lowry should handle the curve well, IMO.

I'm a Petan fan, but I suspect he's on the move.

I think it's a lot to put on a sophomore. No offence to some of our younger wingers but they can be absolute tire fires in their end. Our 2C needs to be well above average defensively to make up for their mistakes. Roslovic would need to become a lot better defensively over the summer to make it as a 2C.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Great set of hands, great vision, great passer. Lacks the foot speed, ability along the walls and defensive game to really excel in the NHL.
Theres plenty of truth there......but I've been so impressed with his attitude this year. He's been beat down so many times, but just keeps getting back up and keeps improving in all aspects of the game. The kids a warrior, I'll give him that.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Theres plenty of truth there......but I've been so impressed with his attitude this year. He's been beat down so many times, but just keeps getting back up and keeps improving in all aspects of the game. The kids a warrior, I'll give him that.

Absolutely. He may end up having a breaking point at some point. So many weaker teams could give him a much better chance to breakout. We just can't afford that opportunity at this point. Back when we first got the team he would have had a much better shot at getting a top 6 spot to run with. Now the competition is thick.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015

Yep. Have mentioned this before but was at loads of Moose practices this year b/c of my kid's IcePlex games and Petan was one of the hardest workers at every one of them. His game is so good when he's on and he's such a unique talent that I hold out hope that he pushes through and goes Cliff Ronning -- and helps take the Jets over the top.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
From all the sources I have talked to or seen Stastny seems to love it here. His family likes it here. As much as Winnipeg is looked down on I'd much rather live there than anywhere in Missouri. If he does sign it would have to be a manageable contract in both term and dollars. I have faith that Chevy can get it done if both parties are interested.

That’s awesome news.
TNSE koolaid is potent stuff:sarcasm:
All kidding aside at the right price he’d be a fantastic signing.
Guess the culture is pretty healthy in the the dressing room and through the organization in general.
That’s a great sign for the future

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
That’s awesome news.
TNSE koolaid is potent stuff:sarcasm:
All kidding aside at the right price he’d be a fantastic signing.
Guess the culture is pretty healthy in the the dressing room and through the organization in general.
That’s a great sign for the future

I like to think that room is looking better and better as time goes on. I don't mean any offence to Ladd but I think Wheeler is a much stronger leader for us. I do remember there being a bit of a schism between the young guys and the vets alluded to by Maurice last year. As terrible as Hendricks can be on the ice I think he actually helped a lot with the schism and kind of uniting the veteran leadership with the youth leadership. We don't hear anything about there being two groups in that locker room anymore.

Reactions: KingBogo

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I like to think that room is looking better and better as time goes on. I don't mean any offence to Ladd but I think Wheeler is a much stronger leader for us. I do remember there being a bit of a schism between the young guys and the vets alluded to by Maurice last year. As terrible as Hendricks can be on the ice I think he actually helped a lot with the schism and kind of uniting the veteran leadership with the youth leadership. We don't hear anything about there being two groups in that locker room anymore.

Interesting. I don't recall hearing anything about a schism. But if there was it seems to be water under the bridge.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Interesting. I don't recall hearing anything about a schism. But if there was it seems to be water under the bridge.

Not a schism per say but more like two separate groups if friends who were having issues communicating in the locker room. I remember Maurice talking about it lots last year.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Yep. Have mentioned this before but was at loads of Moose practices this year b/c of my kid's IcePlex games and Petan was one of the hardest workers at every one of them. His game is so good when he's on and he's such a unique talent that I hold out hope that he pushes through and goes Cliff Ronning -- and helps take the Jets over the top.

His game really grew down the stretch for the Moose. He kept his feet moving and his battle level went up.

I still feel that there could be a place for his skill set on the team next season if he can come into camp a bit faster and stronger.

If Statsney stays it likely means a forward like Perrault is out which could open up an offensive and PP slot.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Not a schism per say but more like two separate groups if friends who were having issues communicating in the locker room. I remember Maurice talking about it lots last year.

Gotcha. Not all that surprising with two prominent groups of different age demographics.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Gotcha. Not all that surprising with two prominent groups of different age demographics.

Yeah it seemed to be something that Mo talked about and how Scheif was kind of the bridge between the two groups but they were still having some small issues bringing them all together. Didn't hear a peep about that this year.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Yeah it seemed to be something that Mo talked about and how Scheif was kind of the bridge between the two groups but they were still having some small issues bringing them all together. Didn't hear a peep about that this year.

I would imagine that some of the kids matured and helped brige the gap. Trouba buying in and wanting to be a part of this likely really helped there.

Reactions: irunthepeg

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I would imagine that some of the kids matured and helped brige the gap. Trouba buying in and wanting to be a part of this likely really helped there.

Yeah there is a lot to look forward to with this group if we can get Trouba to sign long term.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00