What the hell happened to Ottawa?

pylon17

Jan 19, 2017
I don't wish ill on the Sens, have fond memories of the battle of Ontario days, back when their scouts had gotten them Hossa, Havlat, Alfie, etc. The Chara trade....

HOWEVER => Melnyk deserves it, not a fan of his. It's too bad he's their owner. I wonder if WAS has the same issue where the city/government/whatever can't buy tickets with tax dollars? Anyone know?

Kamina

Amok
Feb 28, 2007
No it wasn't. They got rid of Methot and Turris. Murray passed away. They would have won the Cup if they scored in OT.

Totally hadn't considered the effect of Murray's death on the team... :(

His health was probably a huge emotional motivator for the team during the run.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
The Duchene trade was a joke how many down years has he had in his career and the red flag that presented. And here he is with 2 points in 10 games and the Sens struggling.

thewall

Jul 9, 2010
A BAD team who had a GOOD run in the Playoffs... Anderson played over his head last year. Condon well, he's the good old Condon from the Habs 2 years ago. Will make a miracle save but will let in 2 or 3 softies a game.

Their D is not that good and well their new superstar isn't better then what they had before with Turris.

Kamina

Amok
Feb 28, 2007
They signed their obituary once they refused to protect Methot to Vegas. Methot was the reason that they were in Game 7 OT vs Pens.

It hurts for this year, but imo it would've hurt more long-term if we lost Claesson instead. I believe in him 1000x more than Ceci, and Methot will soon reach his decline years.

Their D is not that good and well their new superstar isn't better then what they had before with Turris.

Chabot's presence on the team will prove to strengthen our entire D-core as he improves. Claesson-Karlsson, Chabot carrying Ceci, and Phaneuf sheltered on the third pairing with Boro or Harpur. It will be a solid D-core next year imo

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
I didn't think a franchise was allowed to hang banners that belonged to another franchise. They should have to remove them. It's a whole new team, unrelated to the old one, which won all those banners when there were only 6 teams anyway. A one in six chance should be noted with an * as far as today's NHL goes.
Then they should remove all 13 stanley cup banners won by Toronto they were all won when they were only six team and the same with montreal who won 15 of they cups when they were only 6 teams.

You see how absurd you comment is?

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
A BAD team who had a GOOD run in the Playoffs... Anderson played over his head last year. Condon well, he's the good old Condon from the Habs 2 years ago. Will make a miracle save but will let in 2 or 3 softies a game.

But you know what, still a alot of hockey to be played this season, just look at the Habs 2 weeks ago they were dead, everybody was saying that they were the worst team in the NHL, forward 2 weeks later and the Habs pulled a Lazarus and are back to life. its a long season still 57 more games to go

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
I didn't watch the game against WPG, but it seems like they were owned badly in that one.

How does Ryan only have one goal?

Not surprising. This is the 2nd or 3rd season in a row where he looking like a cap dump.

In regards to the Sens, remember when everyone wrote off the Habs?
Equally dangerous to do so when they have a player of Karlsson's level. I still have them picked for a wild card spot at worst.

1. Bolts
2. Leafs
3. Sens/Habs
4. Habs/Sens

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Not surprising. This is the 2nd or 3rd season in a row where he looking like a cap dump.

In regards to the Sens, remember when everyone wrote off the Habs?
Equally dangerous to do so when they have a player of Karlsson's level. I still have them picked for a wild card spot at worst.

1. Bolts
2. Leafs
3. Sens/Habs
4. Habs/Sens

An Atlantic team getting one of the wild card seeds. GG joke.

Bruins and Habs will battle it out for the 3rd spot.

Kamina

Amok
Feb 28, 2007

Ryan looked like a bonafide top 6 forward and was producing as such at the beginning of his tenure with Ottawa. He appeared to have a coming out party during the playoffs, but nagging finger injuries have been affecting him greatly. It is the story of his career with Ottawa so far... Really bad luck.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Ryan looked like a bonafide top 6 forward and was producing as such at the beginning of his tenure with Ottawa. He appeared to have a coming out party during the playoffs, but nagging finger injuries have been affecting him greatly. It is the story of his career with Ottawa so far... Really bad luck.
his story is that hes just not that good. it took two of the best players in the league as linemates to make him a 30 goal guy. and even they couldnt do it by the end of his tenure in anaheim. those days are long gone.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Bubble team that was over performing last season while having some stellar goaltending, all be it almost over performed themselves into a SCF. That being said I do not believe they are as bad as they are right now, I do believe the Duchene trade was a mistake, but they are most certainly better than they are playing at this given moment. If they did play to their abilities I would see them making the playoffs again, its just a question of whether the team would kick it into high gear again coming that time of the season again or not.

Reactions: Mbraunm

Kamina

Amok
Feb 28, 2007
his story is that hes just not that good. it took two of the best players in the league as linemates to make him a 30 goal guy. and even they couldnt do it by the end of his tenure in anaheim. those days are long gone.

Pretty hard to be a sniper when your fingers keep breaking.

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
the silver lining is that if there's a season to tank for the sens its this season because the 1st rounder they gave to colorado is protected if they finished bottom 10, so i hope they finished as low as possible so they can have a high pick.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Sens will bounce back. It will be just enough to have them finish outside the playoffs and drafte in the 12-16 range.

Like many have said Ottawa was not as good as their ECF run last year. And GB is not a good coach. He IMO has made Ottawa actively worse. With their top 6 and EK they should not be a bottom team in all advanced stats and struggling to make the playoffs.

Oh well another coach in the nations capital. Walrus/Cameron/GB, whats next Therrien? LOL.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Their corsi improved. They were a much better team when they were in last place for corsi.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Sens were 6th in the East (4 points above 9th place), 12th overall, and the only playoff team with a negative goal differential.

They were a slightly above average team last year, not one of the league's best. Unexpected teams get hot in the playoffs almost every year, that doesn't mean the success is repeatable over a larger sample size.
^ Seriously. They beat a mediocre Rangers team and were suddenly "contenders".

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
No it wasn't. They got rid of Methot and Turris. Murray passed away. They would have won the Cup if they scored in OT.

No lol. Nothing about the team screamed contender last year and it certainly didn't this year. They had a run that even had their fans caught by surprise, they let one of their best defensemen go for nothing, and they didn't make any substantial improvements. They're a team without a number one center, a team with mediocre secondary scoring, an average defense, and a goalie who rarely has two consistently good back-to-back seasons. Expecting them to contend for the cup this year was a foolish expectation.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Sens problems this year:

- Anderson having an off year
- Karlsson struggling with his skating after the surgery.
- Ryan had a great start then broke his hand and has handled the puck like a grenade since his return
- Duchene hasn't found much chemistry
- Players have not been buying into the system, at least not for a full 60. breakdowns have been far more common than last year.

Reactions: swiftwin
Apr 28, 2010
I think their team is built for the playoffs. (Not saying Duchene is some playoff warrior).

Last year was the same. Not expected to make a deep run in the playoffs, but they did.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad