What the Bruins are doing/What you'd like to see this off-season 2014 Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Ryan Ellis just signed a 5 year deal at 2.5 per. Crazy that they got him to sign for FIVE years!

This is interesting because as a comp for Krug I feel like the duration would help the Bruins case, but the number would help Krug's case.

LetEmPlay

Oct 29, 2007
Moving Krug would be a mistake.

The kid is an impact player who plays big in big games. You can't replace what he brings by simply dressing someone with a similar skill set. Not without taking a big step backwards.

He was young, but I watched is dismay from the balcony in Chicago as he coughed up a lead in game one of the SCF. Turned out to be a big, and long, game...

He's the kind of player that won't see the ice when up a goal in the playoffs.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
I was pretty patient in July, and even into August, but I think that the uncertainty around the roster, two young but important players not being in camp, and rumors of players (one specifically) that might be moved to deal with the cap have me at a point of just being flat out frustrated, mad when I start ranting about it, with the front office.

I think being 13 days away from opening night and having these many questions is detrimental to success. Not insurmountable, but it definitely isn't good and it might end up being very bad.

If the plan has been to wait until Day 1 after LTIR'ing Savard and then signing Krug and Smith I think that plan sucks. I think you keep two guys you will need to be successful away from the team because you put yourself in this jam without a good plan to fix it.

I'm actually trying to temper my frustration so my larger points don't get lost in an angry rant, but I just don't think this off-season has been handled well.

SpeedyLazaro

Sponsor
Sep 30, 2008
Boston
I was pretty patient in July, and even into August, but I think that the uncertainty around the roster, two young but important players not being in camp, and rumors of players (one specifically) that might be moved to deal with the cap have me at a point of just being flat out frustrated, mad when I start ranting about it, with the front office.

I think it breeds a toxic locker room environment and distrust with management.

This scenario is posion and the fact it hasn't been addressed AT ALL, other than through PR lip service, is disrespectful to the players and the team culture

I mad.

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia

I think being 13 days away from opening night and having these many questions is detrimental to success. Not insurmountable, but it definitely isn't good and it might end up being very bad.

If the plan has been to wait until Day 1 after LTIR'ing Savard and then signing Krug and Smith I think that plan sucks. I think you keep two guys you will need to be successful away from the team because you put yourself in this jam without a good plan to fix it.

I'm actually trying to temper my frustration so my larger points don't get lost in an angry rant, but I just don't think this off-season has been handled well.

Understandable.
It has been a frustrating off season.
I mean if we lose Boychuk and Kelly still plays on this team that is indefensible to me. I will be livid if this happens.
The rumored list of Kelly's teams were not unreasonable and I don't believe there isn't an option there.

The obvious moves, to us anyways, (Kelly or Campbell, Bart, Caron etc.) haven't happened and I don't know why or how much he intends to make that happen.
It makes me nervous not having any idea what his plan is to make this work. Like barely a credible rumor out there.

Part of the reason I've had more patience for it is because I supported Chiarelli overspending last season to give us a better shot at the cup.
It didn't work out. The team wasn't supposed to choke. And now it's time to pay the consequences with nothing to show for it. It makes it a thousand times worse.

I think it's been an incredibly difficult off season for Chiarelli.
We've got a few really good/smart posters here and even they weren't sure how could make it work.
There were very few realistic cap compliant rosters, moves discussed all summer.
A ton of "here's all the players we want to get rid of for the guy we want" stuff.
And I'm sure the other GMs are probably looking at our cap situation and haven't been very helpful as the more desperate he gets, the better for them.

It's very hard having no idea where his head's at and what exactly he's waiting for.
Is it more or less Savard's LTIR or deciding on a bigger move, like if he has no choice but to trade Boychuk to get a top line RW.
It's extremely nerve wracking to have so many unknowns at a critical time in our cup window.

SpitfireIX

Jun 11, 2007
Grenville, Qc.
If any Krug to the Isles trade were to happen, the return would have to be Strome. Young puck moving D-men are hard to find, the B's of all teams know this and Strome is taking his time to develop with the Islanders.

stungun

Feb 28, 2002
Portland, ME
www.seanrileysite.com
I think my confusion comes in not seeing anyone suggesting that Krug is given $4.5M/yr. At least not for this season. Well, no one aside from yourself.

I could have missed it, for sure. Regardless, it's hardly the prevailing sentiment. Most have him clocking in at around $2.5M/yr for a year or two.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1716239&page=29

thats the page if you want to read about people "aside from myself" randomly suggesting krug gets 4.5 a year. i like krug too but would also see him getting around the 2.5 figure. I don't think he deserves a absolutely ridiculous raise while having zero negotiation rights.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Ryan Ellis just signed a 5 year deal at 2.5 per. Crazy that they got him to sign for FIVE years!

This is interesting because as a comp for Krug I feel like the duration would help the Bruins case, but the number would help Krug's case.

Ryan Ellis isn't close to as good as Krug is.

But man that contract is unreal. If we could get Krug for 5 years at 3 - 3.5 million, I make moves to make the cap room for that to happen

But if Krug only goes 1 year, then I think 2.5 million is too high

Salem13

Feb 6, 2008
Salem,Mass
Was just thinking... if nothing happens today?

We have to be cap compliant by this coming Thursday...

...HF might want to ask their hosting company for a little extra bandwidth and a few extra blades on the servers for next week?

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
Nope. All is quiet.

But the weekend is here (for me anyway) and that means in hockey arenas all weekend - even double headers. So, something is going to get said I'm sure. Whether it is worth repeating is another story however.

Let us HF ers be the judge of that :naughty:

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

You're wrong. I give PC an A++++. :naughty:

Stone Clode

Kicks him, stunner!!
Jun 1, 2010
Swansea, MA
Dom, we can't help that we are vultures on here. Just flying around you all day waiting for you to give us even the slightest shred of anything so we can just completely tear it apart. :laugh:

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
The easy solution is to move some combination of Kelly McQuaid & Campbell ($6.2m)..

Yet we here the names Boychuk Krug Smith being whispered as possibly heading out.

Chia & Clodes infatuation with the grinding veteran bottom 6 centers is getting a bit ridiculous. I understand their value, but in the current circumstances they're the first to go IMO.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
The easy solution is to move some combination of Kelly McQuaid & Campbell ($6.2m)..

Yet we here the names Boychuk Krug Smith being whispered as possibly heading out.

Chia & Clodes infatuation with the grinding veteran bottom 6 centers is getting a bit ridiculous. I understand their value, but in the current circumstances they're the first to go IMO.

I am guessing that we may be hearing the latter because of a lack of interest in the former? McQ and Kelly both have some value, but the injuries have likely made them a hard sell.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

Should be the first to go, but won't be. No chance Kelly gets moved, IMO.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
So Iginla is gone... Lucic is hurt...Smith is a holdout...50% of our President Trophy winning team....

Its possible to see this as your opening night top nine

Fraser-Krejci-Griffith
Marchand-Bergy-Gagne
Kelly-Soderberg-Eriksson

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
So Iginla is gone... Lucic is hurt...Smith is a holdout...50% of our President Trophy winning team....

Fraser-Krejci-Griffith
Marchand-Bergy-Gagne
Kelly-Soderberg-Eriksson

I hear ya Lou, but on the other hand, that team didn't make it out if the 2nd round. If you have to reference the PT instead of the SC, they didn't get it done.

Smith and Looch will be back. It's the Iginla hole I'm worried about.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

Fraser-Krejci-Griffith
Marchand-Bergy-Gagne
Kelly-Soderberg-Eriksson

So no top line talent, and no depth? Hard to sell everyone on rolling 4 when you can't even realistically roll one...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad