Status
Not open for further replies.

member 96824

What the Bruins are doing: Paying Chris Kelly money
What I'd like to see this offseason: Another team pay Chris Kelly money

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
I'm pretty sure when you're Dallas, scraping in for a wild card spot...end of the season games count pretty significantly.

Not overlooking the playoff games, and while Seguin's numbers weren't up to his regular season numbers I thought he looked significantly better and was making things happen out there. Even was around the front of the net quite a bit(just like the Chicago 2014 and Washington 2012 series) but don't we agree that these are seperate? When you say "final 10 games down the stretch" that typically means the final 10 games down the stretch.

Not to mention the nonsense of "if you take out his best games" "If you take out his best stretch" "If you extend his worst stretch to an 82 game sample size" etc. etc.

Mike put it best, intellectual dishonesty.

If I say he had 29 points in his last 26 games including playoffs, it fits your bill of "not cherry picking" but says a complete different thing doesn't it?

Juuusst saying- kind of iffy to cry "cherry picking" and then start picking cherrys ("lets just look at the last regular season games", "lets look at the last 26 games").

He is what he is in the playoffs- still close, still no cigar. Maybe he will get it eventually but I'm glad we're not pinning the hopes of the entire organization on waiting around for him to maybe get it eventually.

member 96824

Juuusst saying- kind of iffy to cry "cherry picking" and then start picking cherrys ("lets just look at the last regular season games", "lets look at the last 26 games").

He is what he is in the playoffs- still close, still no cigar. Maybe he will get it eventually but I'm glad we're not pinning the hopes of the entire organization on waiting around for him to maybe get it eventually.

I don't think using the last two months of the season and seperating regular season numbers from playoff numbers is cherry picking, but if you do, that's your thing.

Not my thing to sling former players through the mud just because they aren't here anymore. If you read this place from June 2013, you'll see plenty of "Wow, Seguin has been so good this series. That third line has been our best line!"

I saw that roll over into this playoff season as well.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Cherry picking critism aside... our team has consistiently got rid of offensively gifted players who failed to impress upon management that they were winners.. that they ached to pay the price to win.

Its not me or any single fan here that makes these choices. As a fan base though the majority of us support this idea that our bruin heros need to be battle ready warriors.

Maybe one day kessel or wheeler or seguin or thornton will become an alpha stud like yzerman did in his latter career but so far it hasnt happened often. Not many of our super talented ex guys ever went on to surprise us with the success they obtain elsewhere.

Seguin being a ppg guy was easily predicted. We drafted him second overall. Every single one of us knew he has crazy good skills to score points.

Management knew he will score alot of points.

Management was concerned he might put his off ice activities above the team needs.

This is why i mentioned his production during christmas holidays and at end of seasin.

Right or wrong seguin was dealt for breaking curfew at playoff time and missing team flights or whatever and his choice of off ice friends and partying.

It wasnt me that dealt him but our ownership management values players that eat and breath hockey and winning

And it did lead to two trips to the finals.

Im an old man. I was around here for a decade when this board screamed for playoff success. I tried to defend the teams record for playoff appearances and i was told again and again it didnt matter. I was a team apologist. Only playoff wins mattered.

So eventually i come around. I want a cup win in my lifetime. I am a fan for 35 years and no cups but then we win.

Winning isnt a god given right. Philadelphia and new york and st louis try to win for past 30 years and get 1 cup between them.

San jose and ottawa have tons of great kids on them past 15 years and never win a cup. It isnt gurantee to win a cup just because you have great players.

Sedin twins both win an mvp but they dont win a cup.

Teams win cups when they have a team plan and a bit of luck. Some luck is needed. Remember we won a cup in a season where montreal was 1 lucky bounce from elliminating us. They didnt get that bounce but

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Editing is so hard on this phone... sorry my last post didnt complete my thought. Basically all i wanted to add is it does take some luck to win. Each year all of us experts make predictions who will ein. We place bets. Then we lose money.

Vegas gets rich because the best team doesnt always win.

As a fan i felt our team had a legitmate chance to win each of the last 4 years. I was comfirtable to bet money on it. I knew 5-6 other teams were also good enough. I knew la was good enough. I knew chicago was good enough. I knew pittsburg was good enough.

I didnt think it was a lock we would win every single season but i hoped we would. I hope we win this year but i know its not guranteed. I hope i have happiness cheering the team i give my fanatism too. That much is guaranteed to me because i try to support my team. I cant apologuze for it sorry. I think it must be horrible for any fan when their team is a source of misery to them.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
I don't know when Chiarelli will stop evaluating but lots of things coming up soon:

-Krug and Smith to sign likely 1y deals
-At least 1D to be traded among Boychuk-Seidenberg-McQuaid-Bartkowsky
-Training camp
-Battle from our best young forwards for two wing job in the top-9
-Will there be some veteran try outs?
-Getting Cap compliant for game 1. Other trades needed?
-A 82 games marathon season. Will likely end with a 4th division championship in 5 years.
-Trade deadline. How much will Chiarelli evaluate? Or will he get us some Kelly+Peverley+Kaberle?
-Playoffs... Will this team underachieve like last year and lose to a team they should beat? Or will they play like they can and reach the SCF for a 3rd time in 5 years?

Yep.. lots of things... But I will sure enjoy it.

Clode-Rask-Chara-Hamilton-Seidenberg-Boychuk-Krug-Bergeron-Lucic-Krejci-Loui-Marchand-Yeti, I wouldn't change this top-13 for any in the league.

This is a great time to be a Bruins fan.

D-

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Andy Greene 5 years, 25 mil. Johnny Boychuck is easily going to get four years 5.5 mil per next year on an open market...Getting him at 20 mil over four years would be a steal right now.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I don't know when Chiarelli will stop evaluating but lots of things coming up soon:

-Krug and Smith to sign likely 1y deals
-At least 1D to be traded among Boychuk-Seidenberg-McQuaid-Bartkowsky
-Training camp
-Battle from our best young forwards for two wing job in the top-9
-Will there be some veteran try outs?
-Getting Cap compliant for game 1. Other trades needed?
-A 82 games marathon season. Will likely end with a 4th division championship in 5 years.
-Trade deadline. How much will Chiarelli evaluate? Or will he get us some Kelly+Peverley+Kaberle?
-Playoffs... Will this team underachieve like last year and lose to a team they should beat? Or will they play like they can and reach the SCF for a 3rd time in 5 years?

Yep.. lots of things... But I will sure enjoy it.

Clode-Rask-Chara-Hamilton-Seidenberg-Boychuk-Krug-Bergeron-Lucic-Krejci-Loui-Marchand-Yeti, I wouldn't change this top-13 for any in the league.

This is a great time to be a Bruins fan.

D-

Hey where is this guy on the list?

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
Andy Greene 5 years, 25 mil. Johnny Boychuck is easily going to get four years 5.5 mil per next year on an open market...Getting him at 20 mil over four years would be a steal right now.

For sure. The sooner, the cheaper.

And if he ever reach UFA, he's getting 6-6.5 from Edmonton.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada

Andy greene has played first line mins against other teams top lines for a couple seasons now. I dont think his deal necessarily is the killing blow for us but that orpik deal shows us what some gms will pay for a second pairing defense first 20 min per night character guy with winning experience.

Anything shy of 5 mill per year would be a hometown discount contract. Unfortunately boychuk is a late bloomer with lower career yearnings. Expecting him to agree to a hometown discount might be wishful thinking

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
For sure. The sooner, the cheaper.

And if he ever reach UFA, he's getting 6-6.5 from Edmonton.

Hate to say it, but there is no way we'll be able to keep him for that kind of money. He holds huge value in the league, especially as of now. We can probably work out a deal for a legit top 6 RW or some high NHL ready prospect that can help us out NOW.

I would kill to make a move for Bobby Ryan. He honestly would be the most perfect fit with Krejci and Lucic. Definitely can play hero, just an absolute game changer.

Imagine a line of Lucic-Krejci-Ryan? Absolute dynamite. Easily would be the best line in the league.

HanktheHammer*

I would find the Bruins off-season a success with drafting of David Pastrnek and the free agent signing of Kevin Hayes from Chicago despite the cap crunch. Signing Hayes would be like gaining a first round talent at the expense of a Cup rival.

But, here is a point to ponder, does the re-signing of Jimmy Hayes by Florida affect the Bruins chance of signing his brother, Kevin? Would Kevin pass up a chance to play with his brother in Florida? See the Staal brothers in Carolina as an example.

I now think Kevin will play with his brother in Florida rather play in Boston. Blood is thicker than water. I hope I'm wrong. Any thoughts?

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Andy greene has played first line mins against other teams top lines for a couple seasons now. I dont think his deal necessarily is the killing blow for us but that orpik deal shows us what some gms will pay for a second pairing defense first 20 min per night character guy with winning experience.

Anything shy of 5 mill per year would be a hometown discount contract. Unfortunately boychuk is a late bloomer with lower career yearnings. Expecting him to agree to a hometown discount might be wishful thinking

Ive seen him 30 times live over the past four seasons live and he's worth every cent, just saying Boychuk will get 5.5 EASILY on an open market so is there really any reason for him to reeup here for a discount?

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
I would find the Bruins off-season a success with drafting of David Pastrnek and the free agent signing of Kevin Hayes from Chicago despite the cap crunch. Signing Hayes would be like gaining a first round talent at the expense of a Cup rival.

But, here is a point to ponder, does the re-signing of Jimmy Hayes by Florida affect the Bruins chance of signing his brother, Kevin? Would Kevin pass up a chance to play with his brother in Florida? See the Staal brothers in Carolina as an example.

I now think Kevin will play with his brother in Florida rather play in Boston. Blood is thicker than water. I hope I'm wrong. Any thoughts?

I could actually see Hayes on his way to Calgary. Would be a great situation for him there.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009

Perhaps, but home is where the heart is. :naughty:

2KA

Oct 15, 2013
Saskatchewan
Hate to say it, but there is no way we'll be able to keep him for that kind of money. He holds huge value in the league, especially as of now. We can probably work out a deal for a legit top 6 RW or some high NHL ready prospect that can help us out NOW.

I would kill to make a move for Bobby Ryan. He honestly would be the most perfect fit with Krejci and Lucic. Definitely can play hero, just an absolute game changer.

Imagine a line of Lucic-Krejci-Ryan? Absolute dynamite. Easily would be the best line in the league.

Not saying I want to trade Boychuk or Seids, but I think this is the logical solution to a lot of our problems. They have the biggest contracts to move. If we include a good prospect maybe a team will take Kelly/Campbell off our hands as well. Boychuk/Seids and a good prospect should be able to land us a top 6 forward in my opinion.

The only reason I would do this is because I just don't see how it will be possible to resign Boychuk unless we trade Seids. something has to give.

In my opinion one of Seids or Boychuk has to go and whichever one brings back the better return should be the one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad