What Teams are Most Likely to be Upset in Round One by a Lower Seed

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
I'm hoping so, but you never can tell until they play the games. (This is pessimistic me coming out to play)

I think its normal to be that way as a fan of your own team. From an outsider view we arent sharing that.

Pretty much this. No one is going to predict Boston to lose in the first round because Boston's form has been superb for months now despite all their injuries and there isn't an obvious bad matchup looming for them. NJ/PHI/FLA aren't likely to beat them because none of them have proven to be matchup nightmares for them...although Florida will get their chance to prove that with three head-to-heads in these last two weeks.

Toronto could beat Boston in the first round, if they met. But that's growing increasingly unlikelier by the day.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Cause they've handled Toronto so easily all season? Your also coming up to the playoffs with an absolute ton of injuries.

It will be a series that absolutely goes 6 or 7 games.

One win for the Bruins against the Leafs this year, none last year. Not a good matchup for Boston.

They don't worry me as much as Tampa.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Vegas has looked extremely mediocre in the 2 games against the Avs over the weekend. Avs fans are pretty much just praying we find a way to get them in the playoffs if we get in, really think we can beat them.

Fleury is a hell of a goalie though and he alone can win them a series if he plays at the level he did this weekend, and has in the playoffs in the past. But if he doesn't bring his absolute A game I suspect any one of the Avs/Ducks/Blues/Kings will beat the Knights in 5 or 6 games.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
One win for the Bruins against the Leafs this year, none last year. Not a good matchup for Boston.

They don't worry me as much as Tampa.

I think what would worry me about TB is the fact that they havent had to fight for much of anything all year. Now they are fighting for their division title and president trophy, but its not like they have been fighting for that for long. They pretty much had it in the bag a month or so ago. My point about this is that they havent been using excess energy and have had the luxury to turn it off so to speak but that can be a double edged sword in some ways because it could stab them too. If they all the sudden give a shit again and play like they did in the first half of season, I wouldnt want to play them. But if they let that mentality go into the playoffs they could be a quick out and it wouldnt really matter who they were playing. League is too good for a team to play at 75% effort and expect to win.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Pens fan saying the Pens. In the West, I'd go with the Jets.

Part of me agrees with you because they have played so much hockey the last 2 years but another part of me says, nope this team knows how this works. Turn it on in the playoffs and Id hate to be the team that has to play them when they are on. They are literally the best team in the league when they are on.

Reactions: BHD

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Tampa Bay is quickly becoming that team for me. Vasi hasn't looked good. Seems tired.

Unfortunatley, the Leafs could/will/are run into that issue with Andersen.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Tampa Bay is quickly becoming that team for me. Vasi hasn't looked good. Seems tired.

Unfortunatley, the Leafs could/will/are run into that issue with Andersen.

Vasi is huge for our success. As any goalie is I guess but we dont have any chance if hes not on his game. If he is then I really like our chances. Guy is like Hasek when hes playing his best.

PenguinSpeed

Oct 4, 2017
-Flyers and Caps are now down to their 3rd string goalies. Blue Jackets captain Foligno out for the next month.

-Injuries hurting teams

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Any team that doesn't have a 1C that has to match against a team that has a 1C and 2C is going down in an early round, especially in the Western Conference. It's the reason why Nashville went out and got Turris.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Probably Tampa if they don’t get their act together. I don’t believe that they are just resting for the playoffs. Been an issue for some time now on their defense. Plus, still have something to play for.
You'll be talked to [mod] by TB fans if you talk like that. Be aware.

Last edited by a moderator:

allevat

Jan 11, 2018
If Vegas plays Colorado I could see an upset there because the Avs have had their number this year.

What? Vegas has two wins and an shootout loss vs Colorado. 7-0, 1-2, 4-1. That's not exactly having a team's number.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
You'll be talked to [mod] by TB fans if you talk like that. Be aware.

Are you talking about the “Ruh Roh” thread? I am just being cautious and see an issue that has loomed over them for most of the season and think that issue is being exposed now, and with tougher competition like in the playoffs, those flaws become exposed even more. Really want them to win, will actually be going to some of the home games down there. But I see some concerns, and hopefully they address them in the next 2 weeks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
I'd prefer you didn't. The Wild are not a roll-over team and we've proved nothing in the post-season yet. I definitely think we have the talent to do so, but until we make it out of the first round, there should be no over-confident fans.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad