What team would you want to win the lottery, if not Buffalo?

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
It'd be really small odds right now but if Buffalo can't have him (we better be getting Eichel then!) then I'll say Minnesota. Another small market team in a traditional market that could use a little star power added.

I despise the idea of the Rangers, Flyers and to a lesser extent the Devils getting him because it would feel like such a manipulation by the NHL to get him into a major media market.

Minny is not a small market. It's a market of roughly 3.5 million people. Minneapolis–St. Paul, MN-WI with a population of about 3.8 million people as of the 2010 Census, ranked the 14th most populous in the U.S.

To call it a small market is just ridiculous.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
I voted for Chicago, mostly because I know it won't happen. I don't want any other team to get first overall. I won't be heartbroken and defeated if the Sabres don't get first overall, but i am not able to consider any other team, either :laugh:

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Minnesota or Columbus.

Both need to take that next step and haven't had a chance yet.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Minnesota. American team. That's a positive, imo.They live and breathe hockey in that state. I respect that. I'm a fan of a few players on their team: Parise, Suter, Pommers, etc... would love to see the Wild built in to a contender. And they're not in Buffalo's conference.

I Like Eich

Oct 15, 2014
Obviously nobody wants Toronto to win it here. For beyond obvious reasons that don't even need to be stated.

BUT think about the rivalry and exposure that would come with Canada/Toronto/McDavid vs U.S./Buffalo/Eichel. It would be pretty cool...in theory

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I'd be fine with Minnesota, Columbus, or Winnipeg winning the lottery.

I'd find it hilarious if he went to Toronto or Edmonton and they STILL couldn't win :laugh:

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
I'd be fine with Minnesota, Columbus, or Winnipeg winning the lottery.

I'd find it hilarious if he went to Toronto or Edmonton and they STILL couldn't win :laugh:

I almost guarantee you that's exactly what would happen, especially in Edmonton's place. How many top three picks have they had and they still dwell in the basement?

Toronto, i dunno about. Makes you wonder if they'd be better or worse if they had kept that first overall pick they lost to the Bruins and drafted Seguin. That would have been a commitment to a rebuild, perhaps. Now they have a mediocre club and a McDavid could make them better, but not a for a few seasons....

hallmr09

Feb 16, 2012
South Bend, IN
I'd be fine with Calgary or Minnesota getting McDavid.

If Toronto, Edmonton, or a hockey market like Florida or Arizona gets it I'm going to be really annoyed.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
I'll say the Devils.

Selfishly, because that means I'll have a generational talent locally to watch, and I can't stomach him going to the Rangers.

Seems like the Devils are always kind of an afterthought around here, and their one attempt to get an offensive superstar (Kovalchuk) didn't end too well.

Would certainly add some spice to the Metro if the Devils had McDavid, the Pens Crosby and Malkin, the Caps Ovechkin, and the Isles Tavares. Lot of skilled offensive stars spread through the division.
Further, that NYR pick belongs to TBL and who wants to see them winning the lottery... Stamkos, Drouin, Hedman, plus McDavid, on top of their good drafting... haha, no thanks, do not want that hurdle in our division.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
As an Oilers/Sabres fan the only team outside of Buffalo that I would like to get McDavid would be Arizona. I feel like it could benefit the entire league and hockey in general of having a superstar out there. Plus, Coyotes are a team with good pieces to surround him with and they deserve some success IMO.

For me it would be:
1. Buffalo
2. Arizona
3. Winnipeg

Then again it would be cool to have a big rivalry going with Leafs and Sabres, with McDavid and Eichel going to those teams. I like the idea of McDavid to Leafs and Eichel to Sabres a lot. I don't know why but it would be kinda cool with local boy Connor playing for Toronto while american Eichel represents Buffalo. The storyline for those games would last for a decade and a half.

Duddy

Everyday is
Dec 24, 2005
Arizona or any other team that needs a guy like McDavid to start a hockey boom. Or a team that is so broke that it can't afford to afford him beyond his first contract adn we offersheet the **** out of them ASAP.

Bps21*

I have this weird fascination with Toronto winning the lottery if we are last.

The Canadian phenom in Toronto...the american in buffalo. 15 years of home and homes. Inevitable outdoor showdown with a stadium filled with both sides represented. It's already been set up as a rivalry...what could make it better than proximity?

Butt Ox

Oct 24, 2006
Luddite Island

The Canadian phenom in Toronto...the american in buffalo. 15 years of home and homes. Inevitable outdoor showdown with a stadium filled with both sides represented. It's already been set up as a rivalry...what could make it better than proximity?

Buffalo having all the luck on their side and taking both, setting up a future filled with cup parades. Leafs wither and remain an also ran for several generations. Much better.

Digable5

Buffalo Proton (Positively Charged)
Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca
I think Winnipeg would be my first choice. They get the Canadian McDavid and we get the American in Eichel.

Since they weren't an option, I went with Columbus. Pretty good, young fan base especially for a team with little success so far they deserve a break. It would be tough to face both McDavid and Crosby in the Eastern Conference, but should make for a good battle with Eichel.

Next choice would be Arizona. That puts him out West on a team that could use him both on and off the ice. Problem is, I still don't think those fans would care and that is not fair to McDavid. He should be appreciated and supported by the club and the fans.

Why I wouldn't want him elsewhere:

Toronto/Carolina: Um, NO!
Dallas - Ruff.
Colorado - MacKinnon, Duchesne, Landeskog, O'Reilly...
Edmonton - #1, #1, #1, #7, #3
Rangers/Flyers/Devils- Major Markets have other resources and can attract FAs if anyone decent is available.
Florida - Started the turnaround already. No Fans.
Minnesota - Vanek, Pominville, Parise, Suter...did someone say they don't have star power? Three of the largest UFA signings in the last few years.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

I'm rooting hard against Toronto winning it but it would be pretty awesome for the rivalry to have McDavid vs. Eichel.

RecycledEichel

Out with the old...
Oct 19, 2013
Raleigh

Id rather they not get him, but if they do, this is a great way to look at it.. I loved when our rivalry was hardcore.. I wanna see it get back to that..

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I'm rooting hard against Toronto winning it but it would be pretty awesome for the rivalry to have McDavid vs. Eichel.
It would be crazy but I rather it the other way around lol the worst part about this happening is having to listen to the many leaf fans and friends that Would say Buffalo sucks so bad and they still can't get McDavid trash talk. It was bad last year about loosing first but it shut them up when Reinhart fell to us and this year I can see the envy and hate seething from them knowing their rivals are "tanking" purposefully for a game changing player that's going to be playing against them. Oh the hidden hate is real.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad