What team would you want to win the lottery, if not Buffalo?

Russ Tyler

Jul 9, 2011
HSBC Arena
In the likelihood that Buffalo doesn't win the lottery, which is at least 80%, what other team could we live with watching McDavid play on for the next 15 years?

I would not want a team to win that:

-has already had a #1 overall pick in the past 10 years, (Edmonton, Florida, Colorado)
-is a non-traditional market (Carolina, Arizona, Dallas)
-is Dallas
-is Toronto

So based on that either the Flyers, Devils, Rangers, Wild, or Jackets. This is tough. All of those teams made the playoffs last year except New Jersey, so I guess they are my pick.

*Poll reflected of current odds through 11/18.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Jets. I love their home crowds and the fanbase deserves it. Added bonus that McDavid would be in the WC.

(I don't think the Jets will make the playoffs in that division. Chicago, Minnesota, Nashville, and St. Louis are all better, and the Pacific 5th place team may steal one of that division's playoff spot.)

Cap'n

Jun 8, 2007
Anderson, SC
It'd be really small odds right now but if Buffalo can't have him (we better be getting Eichel then!) then I'll say Minnesota. Another small market team in a traditional market that could use a little star power added.

I despise the idea of the Rangers, Flyers and to a lesser extent the Devils getting him because it would feel like such a manipulation by the NHL to get him into a major media market.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Winnipeg should be in the poll. Both Chicago and Minnesota have earned a higher % of points than the Jets.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
Colorado. Would love to see McDavid playing with MacKinnon, Landeskog, Duchene and O'Reilly (if he's still there). My god that would be a frightening group of forwards.

OcAirlines

Jul 18, 2009
Columbus, Winnipeg, Arizona or Florida. Basically all teams that deserve a break and had it pretty tough these last few years, but that I still don't see being too much of a threat when we are finally ready to compete.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Colorado. Would love to see McDavid playing with MacKinnon, Landeskog, Duchene and O'Reilly (if he's still there). My god that would be a frightening group of forwards.

I would puke. It's not even funny to think about Edmonton or Colorado getting another high pick, let alone the best prospect in 10 years.

I would be fine with Columbus or Winnipeg getting McDavid. I am not to worried about him going to a hockey market, he will create one, so maybe Arizona.

Oh, and I am tired of "team X deserves McDavid". No one deserves a player like that. We certainly don't deserve Eichel or McDavid.

Last edited:

ZeroPT*

Winnipeg,Arizona or Columbus.

Toronto,Carolina,Dallas and Edmonton can all piss off.

Clock

May 13, 2006
Winnipeg,Arizona or Columbus.

Toronto,Carolina,Dallas and Edmonton can all piss off.

Nice lists, though I'm slightly indifferent to Dallas at this point and add Philly in its place. Add Blues to "get it" list (pretend we didn't have their pick).

I don't have anything against Edmonton, but they've got enough raw materials at this point, should just be a matter of getting the mix right even if it means trading some of their studs.

Rooting for Arizona to get it the most, Carolina / Toronto the least.

Last edited:

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
I would puke. It's not even funny to think about Edmonton or Colorado getting another high pick, let alone the best prospect in 10 years.

I would be fine with Columbus or Winnipeg getting McDavid. I am not to worried about him going to a hockey market, he will create one, so maybe Arizona.

Oh, and I am tired of "team X deserves McDavid". No one deserves a player like that. We certainly don't deserve Eichel or McDavid.

I harbor no negative feelings towards Colorado. They're entering their competitive window now. People can get aggravated that they've had 3 high picks over the last 5 years or so, but we're likely to be doing that as well. I would hate Edmonton getting McDavid their fans would be absolutely unbearable.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
If not Buffalo then NY Islanders or St. Louis

Thats how I saw this question orginially....

Guess the orginial poster meant if Buffalo didn't get the first pick by either they themselves winning the lottery or having the NY Islanders or St. Louis winning the lottery.

If Buffalo doesn't get the first pick - then I would like Minnesota or Columbus get the first pick with Buffalo getting the second pick.

Last edited:

sjci

Feb 13, 2007
Buffalo
If not us, then would be happy for:
----
1) Winnipeg - would be fun watching them, and the fans up there would be crazy every night. Good games
2) Arizona - because why not

The "I guess I'd be alright with it"
---
3) Dallas - at least he'd be out west
4) Columbus - that'd be a stacked team
5) Colorado - tough with this one as it'd just be unfair with all that talent, but I always loved the Avs back in the day

No
----
6) NJD - Ugh, that'd be dull
7) Florida - They won last season, no winning two years in a row

Hell no
----
8) Toronto - **** off
9) Edmonton - Don't mind the team, just don't want to see them get another #1
10) Carolina - see Toronto
11) NYR - Would go to Tampa so hell no

Bps21*

I figure this has all been set up for Arizona anyway. They'll then break the lease after losing enough money to force the loophole and sell McDavid to the city who bids highest in the inevitable relocation.

So...not Arizona.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
Avalanche. I like the team they're building, and McDavid there would make them massively fun to watch.

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
Toronto for a few reasons.
-would be a great talent on the weakest O6 franchise
-potentially a huge star in a huge hockey market
-the Leafs would still be bad anyway :D

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Avs. They've got an exciting group of young forwards there. McDavid would be a cherry on the top, pretty much. Also, I was a fan of them when I was a kid back when Ozo was playing there. Sakic, Forsberg, Roy, Foote, etc. Damn, I'm getting old.

Anyway, it would be really nice to see them back in the mix for :stanley:

Stanley Cup Finals 2019/20: Sabres vs. Avs, anyone? :laugh:

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
For Lindy or Darcy?
----
Cool poll. Because I've been thinking lately of these other teams and how I would hate for most of them to win the lottery. (Even though I don't expect the Sabres to win it).

Hasek

Jan 2, 2013
Edmonton. This would create a ****-storm on HF it would be awesome.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
I'll say the Devils.

Selfishly, because that means I'll have a generational talent locally to watch, and I can't stomach him going to the Rangers.

Seems like the Devils are always kind of an afterthought around here, and their one attempt to get an offensive superstar (Kovalchuk) didn't end too well.

Would certainly add some spice to the Metro if the Devils had McDavid, the Pens Crosby and Malkin, the Caps Ovechkin, and the Isles Tavares. Lot of skilled offensive stars spread through the division.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad