Speculation: What team will be looking for Goaltending besides us in the next 6 months.

borisbadenough

Mar 25, 2013
Miller please and a mature legit 1 pair, stay at home, physical defenseman (14 -16 million per year for the two)

We will probably also need a first line LW too.

Last edited:

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
I hugely disagree.

AMac has been horrible, his numbers are poor and I honestly believe we've kept him on our power play to fatten up his value and move him on. He constantly turns the puck over in our d zone and just makes poor decisions on the puck. He is a bottom pair d man who is going to get paid this summer like a top 4 d man and I want no part of it.

We could very easily have Reinhart and maybe even Pulock, knocking on the door to start for the Isles next season. I think Reinhart is a lock and if Viz recovers from his concussion we could be looking at:

de Haan - Hamonic
Hickey - Viz
Reinhart - Strait

with Carkner in the stands. Mayfield, Pulock, Pelech, Pedan, Pokka and all the other defensive prospects could look great in training camp and make an impression for a roster spot.

I don't see why we should tie ourselves down with a bottom line d man on a $4-$5m per deal with such huge defensive prospects nearly ready to roll.

Give me a 1st round pick for Amac and I'd drive him to his new team myself.

You keep {AND PAY} AMac as a fifth defenseman and get better blueliners and he's very much worth retaining.

But the Isles, revolutionizing how the game is lost, have AMac touted as a top pair guy and inflated his price by doing so.

So we can't resign him to a commensurate contract he'd earned no matter what. His agent has him as a top four guy if not a top minute eater and we've ALL seen how more minutes means more mistakes with this once solid defenseman.

So I hope he's traded soon......we didn't ruin him but we sure made him not worth his pricetag.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I hugely disagree.

AMac has been horrible, his numbers are poor and I honestly believe we've kept him on our power play to fatten up his value and move him on. He constantly turns the puck over in our d zone and just makes poor decisions on the puck. He is a bottom pair d man who is going to get paid this summer like a top 4 d man and I want no part of it.

We could very easily have Reinhart and maybe even Pulock, knocking on the door to start for the Isles next season. I think Reinhart is a lock and if Viz recovers from his concussion we could be looking at:

de Haan - Hamonic
Hickey - Viz
Reinhart - Strait

with Carkner in the stands. Mayfield, Pulock, Pelech, Pedan, Pokka and all the other defensive prospects could look great in training camp and make an impression for a roster spot.

I don't see why we should tie ourselves down with a bottom line d man on a $4-$5m per deal with such huge defensive prospects nearly ready to roll.

Give me a 1st round pick for Amac and I'd drive him to his new team myself.

His numbers are poor? He's on pace for over 40 points, is only -3 in what many Isles fans would say has been his worst season, and is outscoring Grabner and Bailey. His numbers are not poor.

Also he's being used on the powerplay because he is our veteran defenseman on the blueline with Vis out. Keep in mind, AMac is 27 and is the oldest everyday blueliner besides Vis. Good teams need veteran defensemen. If AMac isn't re-signed and is substituted with Reinhart, there will be growing pains next year.

I'll give you the turnovers and poor puck decisions, but is he just getting exposed while playing Suter-type minutes? I think so.

AMac is a middle pairing defenseman (#4), who should be used in a shutdown role with no PP time.

Marlo Stanfield

My Name Is My Name
Jun 11, 2011
Long Island, NY

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
http://capgeek.com/free-agents/?year_id=2015&team_id=-1&position_id=G&fa_type_id=2

http://capgeek.com/free-agents/?year_id=2015&team_id=-1&position_id=G&fa_type_id=1

Add, Craig Anderson, Annti Niemi, Viktor Fasth as 2015 UFA's who could be moved by their teams this offseason and Mark Visentin and Jack Campbell as two potential goalies available who are log jammed behind established starters (Smith and Lehtonen respectively) and RFA's in 2015.

Do you remember when Dean Lombardi sat on Nabokov, Kipper, and Toscola for three years straight before they moved anyone?

Log-jam doesn't really mean much in goal if the jam doesn't include some big impending raises or ugly contracts in hand.

Last edited:

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
His numbers are poor? He's on pace for over 40 points, is only -3 in what many Isles fans would say has been his worst season, and is outscoring Grabner and Bailey. His numbers are not poor.

Also he's being used on the powerplay because he is our veteran defenseman on the blueline with Vis out. Keep in mind, AMac is 27 and is the oldest everyday blueliner besides Vis. Good teams need veteran defensemen. If AMac isn't re-signed and is substituted with Reinhart, there will be growing pains next year.

I'll give you the turnovers and poor puck decisions, but is he just getting exposed while playing Suter-type minutes? I think so.

AMac is a middle pairing defenseman (#4), who should be used in a shutdown role with no PP time.

On full display tonight in the first period, but I don't think the first period constitutes too much time for the game.

Marlo Stanfield

My Name Is My Name
Jun 11, 2011
Long Island, NY
Do you remember when Dean Lombardi sat on Nabokov, Kipper, and Toscola for three years straight before they moved anyone?

Log-jam doesn't really mean much in goal if the jam doesn't include some big impending raises or ugly contracts in hand.

Well in the case of Campbell, Anderson, Visentin, they're either due for a raise/new deal (Anderson), the one in front of em is due for a raise (Campbell stuck behind Lehtonen) or they're blocked by a goalie on a horrid deal (Visentin behind Mike Smith).

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
http://capgeek.com/free-agents/?year_id=2015&team_id=-1&position_id=G&fa_type_id=2

http://capgeek.com/free-agents/?year_id=2015&team_id=-1&position_id=G&fa_type_id=1

Add, Craig Anderson, Annti Niemi, Viktor Fasth as 2015 UFA's who could be moved by their teams this offseason and Mark Visentin and Jack Campbell as two potential goalies available who are log jammed behind established starters (Smith and Lehtonen respectively) and RFA's in 2015.

James Reimer and Steve Mason are also RFAs this year that could be UFAs next year. Can't see Reimer signing long-term, Toronto will have to move him this summer if they want to get any value for him.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
On full display tonight in the first period, but I don't think the first period constitutes too much time for the game.

He's averaged 26 minutes a game this season, but clearly the first 48 games do not constitute for much.

Only five players in the entire league average more ice time than AMac.

Suter
Campbell
Karlsson
Weber
Doughty

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
Edmonton just traded for Scrivens.

I don't think anyone considered him a starting option for next year, so it doesn't affect the market much. Unless he plays well, in which case Edmonton could re-sign him and that takes one team out of the market.

Marlo Stanfield

My Name Is My Name
Jun 11, 2011
Long Island, NY
James Reimer and Steve Mason are also RFAs this year that could be UFAs next year. Can't see Reimer signing long-term, Toronto will have to move him this summer if they want to get any value for him.

I see Reimer's RFA rights getting dealt at the draft and Mason re-signing with Philly. Philly and Mason seem to be a good for one another (for now).

Edmonton just traded for Scrivens.

I don't think anyone considered him a starting option for next year, so it doesn't affect the market much. Unless he plays well, in which case Edmonton could re-sign him and that takes one team out of the market.

Edmonton is ultimately putting bandages over a stab wound with their goalie acquisitions (Labarberra, Bryz and now Scrivens). Scrivens played well behind a world class defense in LA and now goes to one of the worst defensive teams in the NHL. I fully anticipate his numbers coming back to earth. They too will still be in the goalie market come June/July.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
I see Reimer's RFA rights getting dealt at the draft and Mason re-signing with Philly. Philly and Mason seem to be a good for one another (for now).

Edmonton is ultimately putting bandages over a stab wound with their goalie acquisitions (Labarberra, Bryz and now Scrivens). Scrivens played well behind a world class defense in LA and now goes to one of the worst defensive teams in the NHL. I fully anticipate his numbers coming back to earth. They too will still be in the goalie market come June/July.

The Oilers are such a trainwreck. They really, really are. Just when you think the Isles are one, geez, look at that team.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
He's averaged 26 minutes a game this season, but clearly the first 48 games do not constitute for much.

Only five players in the entire league average more ice time than AMac.

Suter
Campbell
Karlsson
Weber
Doughty
Don't get me wrong SF, he gets WAY too much time. I just think people blame that factoid for all of his mistakes. He had these problems before the raise in time on ice.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Well in the case of Campbell, Anderson, Visentin, they're either due for a raise/new deal (Anderson), the one in front of em is due for a raise (Campbell stuck behind Lehtonen) or they're blocked by a goalie on a horrid deal (Visentin behind Mike Smith).

But do the teams have a significant cap concern? It is going up next year.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Don't get me wrong SF, he gets WAY too much time. I just think people blame that factoid for all of his mistakes. He had these problems before the raise in time on ice.

He's always been playing too many minutes!

He's averaged about 23 minutes a game that last three seasons, which has been too much.

I'd like to see him around 18-20 minutes a night, but the problem is I don't see Snow paying Andy MacDonald 4M+ per to play 18-20 minutes a night. You pay guys 4M+ per to play a solid 23+ minutes a night and AMac is not that guy. I also think this is how people developed the stigma that Snow/Wang don't spend but that is a conversation for another time.

I would not be shocked to see Reinhart replace AMac's role on our blueline next year, actually I'm expecting it.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
He's always been playing too many minutes!

He's averaged about 23 minutes a game that last three seasons, which has been too much.

I'd like to see him around 18-20 minutes a night, but the problem is I don't see Snow paying Andy MacDonald 4M+ per to play 18-20 minutes a night. You pay guys 4M+ per to play a solid 23+ minutes a night and AMac is not that guy. I also think this is how people developed the stigma that Snow/Wang don't spend but that is a conversation for another time.

I would not be shocked to see Reinhart replace AMac's role on our blueline next year, actually I'm expecting it.
You're probably right but if that happens you can expect another slow start out of the gate again next season. Reinhart will make as many mistakes if not more, being a rookie, as Amac. But that will be OK with everyone here because he will be our shinny new toy. I'm not saying he shouldn't be on the team but to expect a rookie to jump into Amac's spot and turn this team around is like expecting Donovan to fill Streit's role. And another season down the drain for the sake of saving money.

Last edited:

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
You're probably right but if that happens you can expect another slow start out of the gate again next season. Reinhart will make as many mistakes if not more, being a rookie, as Amac. But that will be OK with everyone here because he will be our shinny new toy. I'm not saying he shouldn't be on the team but to expect a rookie to jump into Amac's spot and turn this team around is like expecting Donovan to fill Streit's role. And another season down the drain for the sake of saving money.

I am quite aware of this and am prepared for this.

Marlo Stanfield

My Name Is My Name
Jun 11, 2011
Long Island, NY
Bump, so whats left? Am I missing any players on teams on page 1?

Isles - still in the air
Edmonton - Scrivens + Fasth duo
Calgary - happy with Berra
Florida - Luongo
Philly - Mason + another UFA
Buffalo - Hackett + Enroth

Halak and Elliott: still hitting UFA
Miller: hitting UFA (for now)
Khudobin: re-signed
Hiller: hitting UFA (for now)
Reimer: still in Toronto (for now)

MattMartin