Speculation: What team will be looking for Goaltending besides us in the next 6 months.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
You have to figure:

Islanders
Edmonton (maybe, added Scrivens)
Calgary
Florida
Philly (maybe)
Buffalo (maybe)

What might be available:

Halak and Elliot are both UFA's
Miller
Khudobin
Hiller
Reimer

Considering that one of the combo in St. Louis will probably walk we may have the best chance to land 1 of them besides Philly. Also, I don't think Khudobin will be out there again unless he wants a guaranteed starting gig...I think Carolina somehow retains him. Thoughts?

Updated as of today.

You have to figure:

Islanders
Edmonton (maybe not, added Scrivens and Fasth)
Calgary
Vancouver (maybe)
Philly (maybe)
Buffalo (maybe)

What might be available:

Miller
Hiller
Reimer
Ward

Last edited:

Poliz24

Jun 25, 2012
LI
Whoever is on the FA market, we better try and be MORE active this year compared to last year and actually land a goalie that will help us win games and stay healthy. It would also be nice if it were a younger goalie so we could have a mid to long-term answer. (If the situation was right)

Hip Of Rick*

Snow Must Go!
Mar 17, 2007
Philadelphia
Call me crazy, most of you do but I wouldn't mind bringing Nabby back next season provided he is the backup. Nabby for 2 million as backup playing ~25 games should give us alot more than Poulin does. Go hard after a starter.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
Call me crazy, most of you do but I wouldn't mind bringing Nabby back next season provided he is the backup. Nabby for 2 million as backup playing ~25 games should give us alot more than Poulin does. Go hard after a starter.

I'm very okay with that, I just don't know what to do with Poulin in that case.

In terms of the OP, no. The Islanders should be the #1 destination for a goaltender to get quality playing time.

IslesRock4

Ever Forward
Jul 21, 2007
Long Island
Miller would be a pipe dream, but if he takes a look at the options available he'll realize that it's all a bunch of junk (outside of STL, who may opt to keep one of their goalies and bring up Allen full time). Winnipeg is another team not listed that I could see going after Miller and I doubt he'd go there either. I think Philly is sticking with Mason.

I guess there's also a chance that Anaheim would maneuver their goaltending to get Miller. Perhaps they can trade Fasth, keep Andersen as the backup, give Gibson more time to develop, and let go of Hiller. In that case, I think Hiller will be the Islanders' guy.

Hiller isn't amazing by any stretch, but I'd prefer him over the rest of the options. I like Scrivens, but I would only sign him in addition to Hiller as he hasn't proved much so far.

YoureMyBoyLou

Sep 20, 2007
New York, NY
You have to figure:

Islanders
Edmonton
Calgary
Florida
Philly (maybe)
Buffalo (maybe)

What might be available:

Miller
Khudobin
Hiller
Dubnyk
Scrivens

Considering that one of the combo in St. Louis will probably walk we may have the best chance to land 1 of them besides Philly. Also, I don't think Khudobin will be out there again unless he wants a guaranteed starting gig...I think Carolina somehow retains him. Thoughts?

I'd add Reimer to the list.

Goombha

Raging Ryan
Aug 27, 2013

Sound if you believe Poulin isn't good enough to be a back-up.
Not so much if you believe in fostering prospects.

I haven't seen enough to give up on either Poulin or Nilsson in a back up role (minimally) down the road. If we get a legit number #1, I don't care who the back-up is.

Hip Of Rick*

Snow Must Go!
Mar 17, 2007
Philadelphia
Sound if you believe Poulin isn't good enough to be a back-up.
Not so much if you believe in fostering prospects.

I haven't seen enough to give up on either Poulin or Nilsson in a back up role (minimally) down the road. If we get a legit number #1, I don't care who the back-up is.

We need 2 NHL goalies for next season. Right now we have zero signed. I don't think Poulin/Nilsson are good enough to be a NHL backup. As a 3rd string callup they are fine but neither has shown enough in the AHL/NHL to be handed the job like they were. As we have seen this season the backup position matters, if we had a legit backup we may still be in the playoff race rather than close to mathematically eliminated with half a season to go.

Goombha

Raging Ryan
Aug 27, 2013
We need 2 NHL goalies for next season. Right now we have zero signed. I don't think Poulin/Nilsson are good enough to be a NHL backup. As a 3rd string callup they are fine but neither has shown enough in the AHL/NHL to be handed the job like they were. As we have seen this season the backup position matters, if we had a legit backup we may still be in the playoff race rather than close to mathematically eliminated with half a season to go.

We agree again. We have to bring in a legit #1, I don't think anyone denies that. EXCEPT, I feel Poulin is a worthy backup from what I've seen of him THIS season. I don't think retaining Nabby as a backup is the right move - that money could be well spent in greater areas of dishevelness (<- if that's even a word?).

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I'm still hoping for Hiller or Halak. While everyone is drooling over 35 year old miller and making thier offers we could concentrate on one of these 2 guys and grab them b

Hip Of Rick*

Snow Must Go!
Mar 17, 2007
Philadelphia
We agree again. We have to bring in a legit #1, I don't think anyone denies that. EXCEPT, I feel Poulin is a worthy backup from what I've seen of him THIS season. I don't think retaining Nabby as a backup is the right move - that money could be well spent in greater areas of dishevelness (<- if that's even a word?).

Poulin could earn the job in the next 30 or so games. He should play about 10-20 of them. That is a decent sample size to evaluate if he is capable of being a good backup. Right now IMO he has only earned a spot in the AHL.

Goombha

Raging Ryan
Aug 27, 2013
I'm still hoping for Hiller or Halak. While everyone is drooling over 35 year old miller and making thier offers we could concentrate on one of these 2 guys and grab them b

Someone commented on one of my posts the other day and said that I needed to stay up late to watch Hiller because he was supposedly playing horribly. I turned on a game the other night - Anaheim (I'm on the west coast, so it's not late for me), and his stats are LIGHTS OUT right now. What was that all about? I'm really confused, lol.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
Someone commented on one of my posts the other day and said that I needed to stay up late to watch Hiller because he was supposedly playing horribly. I turned on a game the other night - Anaheim (I'm on the west coast, so it's not late for me), and his stats are LIGHTS OUT right now. What was that all about? I'm really confused, lol.

It was me. He was struggling early on in the season, but his team was scoring him out of it. He's apparently had some strong games recently (I haven't gotten to watch). But I still think he's average, and the most goalies decline at his age.

I would like Reimer AND Scrivens. Yes, it's unlikely.

Goombha

Raging Ryan
Aug 27, 2013
It was me. He was struggling early on in the season, but his team was scoring him out of it. He's apparently had some strong games recently (I haven't gotten to watch). But I still think he's average, and the most goalies decline at his age.

Thanks for that. I wasn't calling you out, I was just surprised when they posted his stats - and thinking back to what you had said. If I remember correctly, they weren't good - they were insane? Not sure how much of that is attributable to the team, but it's quite impressive on the score sheet.

*** Just looked it up, not insane at all: .917 / 2.46. I think he WAS .920 when I tuned in. Not bad though for only 7 games (I'm sure he shakes off a lot of rust when he gets the call).

Last edited:

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010

I've watched Anaheim sporadically. he did have some problems in the beginning, likely due to being cold when he was tossed in, but the games I saw over the past month he looked solid - Ducks or not in front of him. BTW, Hiller turns 32 next month. How old did you think he was?

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
I assume all the teams who need goaltending will get it...except 1. Goaltending is not an important position in hockey. That's why we pulled our backup goalie up to the front office.

Goombha

Raging Ryan
Aug 27, 2013
Poulin is certainly making a case for the back up role next season. He looked like a starter tonight, great game. Congrat's Isles...keep pressing!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad