What team only has good contracts?

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
He had a bad slump but still has 23 goals now. If he finishes with over 25 that’s still pretty good. Not a lot of players in the league who bring what he does physically and from an agitators perspective for just over 5 million.
For sure... If he is your worse contract in 2024.. you are doing well.

Reactions: nturn06

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
The Canes are very close to this. The only questionable one is KK, and that is a relatively defensible one considering the very young age of the player and how he is still on the under-26 buyout rules.
And he's not awful... 4 mill for him is not eggregi. Carolina and Boston for sure have great cap structure.

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
For the leafs currently:

Klingberg at 4 was not good, but he was LTIR”d real quick
Murray at 5 would’ve been awful, but he hasn’t touched the ice since last season
Reaves hasn’t actually been that bad, he was not good in the first 20 games, but last 30 he has been a spectacular 4th line fighter who can also play hockey.

Tavares is 4 million overpaid in value

Samsonov at 3.55 is probably 2 million over. His stats since the reset are good, but you can’t just dismiss the ones before

Brodie is probably also 2 million over

So that’s around 8 and maybe I’m missing someone

We don’t have outright cap dumps, as we are lucky?? enough to have them go on LTIR, but we have players who make more than they should and that adds up

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
Carolina - YES (Necas may be a problem next season)
Winnipeg - mostly yes - Wheeler and Scheifele next season is not great!
Dallas - let's look

Seguin at 10m seems a tad high?
Benn at 9.5m seems a tad high?

Both great players but not sure I'd want them for 20 million. For the OIl - 20 million is Bouch, Drai, Skinner and Hyman.

That's about it.. so mostly yes.

To be fair, if you count Benn and Seguin and compare them to most teams best deals, it doesn't look good lol.

Dallas does have some good deals though

Oettinger at 4
Heiskanen at 8.45
Hintz at 8.45
Robertson at 7.75
Pavs at 3.5
Marchment at 4.5
Duchene at 3

but yes, Benn and Seguin are paid more then what they currently bring. Both are playing great, just not the value you'd want for their cap hits

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
For the leafs currently:

Klingberg at 4 was not good, but he was LTIR”d real quick
Murray at 5 would’ve been awful, but he hasn’t touched the ice since last season
Reaves hasn’t actually been that bad, he was not good in the first 20 games, but last 30 he has been a spectacular 4th line fighter who can also play hockey.

Tavares is 4 million overpaid in value

Samsonov at 3.55 is probably 2 million over. His stats since the reset are good, but you can’t just dismiss the ones before

Brodie is probably also 2 million over

So that’s around 8 and maybe I’m missing someone

We don’t have outright cap dumps, as we are lucky?? enough to have them go on LTIR, but we have players who make more than they should and that adds up
Muzzin?

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
He got LTIR’d through injury too, but he was actually a top 4 dman, probably our #3 when he got hurt

Doesn’t look like he will ever play either.

I wouldn’t clump him in with Murray and Klingberg as potential capdumps who we avoided and moreso as a hit to the lineup

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
He got LTIR’d through injury too, but he was actually a top 4 dman, probably our #3 when he got hurt

Doesn’t look like he will ever play either.

I wouldn’t clump him in with Murray and Klingberg as potential capdumps who we avoided and moreso as a hit to the lineup
You are correct... Read it wrong. He is in the LTIR pile. Apologies.

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Colorado don't really have any bad ones. The worst are probably Colton (4mil until 2027), Girard (5mil until 2027) and Wood (2.5 until 2029). The first two range anywhere from fairly paid to 1 mil overpaid, and although Wood's contract is long it's easily dealt with if he stops being a viable player. MacKinnon at 12.6 until 2031 might be bad but right now, nope.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Habs have only two that are truly bad

- Josh Anderson
- Brendan Gallagher

Between the two of them, I'd keep Gallagher because at least he plays like he gives a f*** about it, Anderson is just "there". Plus, I understand that it was Gallagher's "Thank You for all those years" contract

Armia is a question mark: for the longuest time, he would have been overpaid, but right now, he's playing the best hockey of his career, his "Mea Culpa Tour"

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Vegas cap circumvention allows for 30% bad contracts so them
Jealously of freedom, lower taxes, and no state taxes shows. Every team uses ltir every year and no one complains unless it is Vegas or Tampa. Yzerman was the only gm to vote against using ltir to go over the hard cap. So it seems all teams don't care.

Last edited:

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Colorado don't really have any bad ones. The worst are probably Colton (4mil until 2027), Girard (5mil until 2027) and Wood (2.5 until 2029). The first two range anywhere from fairly paid to 1 mil overpaid, and although Wood's contract is long it's easily dealt with if he stops being a viable player. MacKinnon at 12.6 until 2031 might be bad but right now, nope.
Mack is worth every cent. He also came off a great deal before that! And you're correct. AVS are on the list.

It's funny because every team with a good cap situation is also a cup contender.

If argue georgiev may be a problem though. However, he was a guy I wanted my oil to get when he was in NY.

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
Toronto, our players love it here so they all take massive discounts to stay.

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
The Bruins are pretty good but they are paying about 5 million this year to absolutely no one between the Reilly buyout and bonuses from last year.

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
No bad contracts in Boston. Gryz hasn’t earned his money this year, but certainly has in the past and he is a pending UFA. Forbort similar deal where he didn’t earn it this year, despite earning it in the past, but he is LTIR’d and a pending UFA.

Now… ask again a week into July when Boston has a pile of money to burn…
Didn't they buy out Mike Reilly?

Reactions: wintersej

McDuffz88

HIRE BERUBE!!!
Sep 18, 2019
New Jersey doesn't have a single bad contract. The worst you can say is Palat but it's not a bad contract. Too bad we can't do nothing with all these good contracts. We have Hughes locked up on a steal of a contract & we're sitting here wasting it away.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad