What team only has good contracts?

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
The Oilers have 3 Cap mistakes right now.

Spefically Nurse has a caphit of 9.25 million
Campbell has a caphit of 3.85 (rest buried in AHL)

So that is roughly 13 million for Nurse and Campbell.

And 2 more years of James Neal for 2 million

So 16 million for retired Neal, AHL Campbell and Top 4 Nurse.

Nurse is in our top 4, plays over 20 a night and is definitely overpaid. But he's easily a 5 million dollar dman on any team. So I'll argue the Oilers have 10 million in wasted cap space:

3.85 for Campbell
2 for Neal
4 for Nurse

How many teams have less than 10 million in wasted cap space and poor contracts? This would include players with bad contracts, buried players and buyouts.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
On a sidenote: Hyman (5.5), Drai (8.5), Bouch (4) and McD (12.5) are all paid less than their current value.

30 Mill for Hyman, Bouch, McD and Drai is pretty good! Skinner at 2.6 as well.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
No bad contracts in Boston. Gryz hasn’t earned his money this year, but certainly has in the past and he is a pending UFA. Forbort similar deal where he didn’t earn it this year, despite earning it in the past, but he is LTIR’d and a pending UFA.

Now… ask again a week into July when Boston has a pile of money to burn…

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
No bad contracts in Boston. Gryz hasn’t earned his money this year, but certainly has in the past and he is a pending UFA. Forbort similar deal where he didn’t earn it this year, despite earning it in the past, but he is LTIR’d and a pending UFA.

Now… ask again a week into July when Boston has a pile of money to burn…
They have a great situation... beautifully run. Basically Lucic and Reilly for 1.3 million. Everything else is reasonable to my eye.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Carolina has a solid cap structure, though that KK contract doesn't look great
The future Necas and Jarvis contracts will be a problem but agree. KK I like and he makes under 5 and is a probably 3 to 4 anyways. Agreed. Great cap structure. Up to 2... Boston and Carolina!

TheDeuce

Halak, Ryder, and a second.
Feb 22, 2009
I like how Chevy has structured the Jets contract and cap situation - I'm no expert though.

Thoughts?

m.

Reactions: Gnome17

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Carolina, Dallas, Winnipeg?
Carolina - YES (Necas may be a problem next season)
Winnipeg - mostly yes - Wheeler and Scheifele next season is not great!
Dallas - let's look

Seguin at 10m seems a tad high?
Benn at 9.5m seems a tad high?

Both great players but not sure I'd want them for 20 million. For the OIl - 20 million is Bouch, Drai, Skinner and Hyman.

That's about it.. so mostly yes.

Reactions: Daz28

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Carolina - YES (Necas may be a problem next season)
Winnipeg - mostly yes - Wheeler and Scheifele next season is not great!
Dallas - let's look

Seguin at 10m seems a tad high?
Benn at 9.5m seems a tad high?

Both great players but not sure I'd want them for 20 million. For the OIl - 20 million is Bouch, Drai, Skinner and Hyman.

That's about it.. so mostly yes.
Seguin and Benn seem a bit rejuvenated this season, you may be right down the stretch though

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Seguin and Benn seem a bit rejuvenated this season, you may be right down the stretch though
I don't follow them closely and I KNOW they are great players.. but they look like 50 to 60 point guys to me today.

1712423945504.png

1712423978744.png

RNH has put up better numbers consistently. Don't see this improving with age.

Reactions: Three On Zero

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
Carolina was the first team I thought of but Kotkaniemi is headed toward a (cheap) buyout so he's probably a bad contract. I think Palat's a tad overpaid on NJ but that's the only contract I'd even point to as being an issue.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Fair argument again
I don’t know if we truly have many teams that fit the mold with no bad or overpriced contracts

Carolina was the first team I thought of but Kotkaniemi is headed toward a (cheap) buyout so he's probably a bad contract. I think Palat's a tad overpaid on NJ but that's the only contract I'd even point to as being an issue.
I would put Hamilton in the not so good for contract territory

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I'd say Carolina and Boston are the best answers so far. Beautifully manged.

NJ is interesting...

So I'd argue Palat and Meier are overpaid as that is 14 million for those 2

BUT

1712424448861.png

That isn't great and I had no idea they are still paying Kovalchuk.

However, not eggregious and I'd say yes NJ has a good cap situation. Probably around 10 million in wasted money with overpays, retained salaries and buyouts.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Now that I've looked at a bunch...

I'm thinking it needs tiers.lol

Tier 1 - less than 5 million wasted in cap on overpays, buyouts and retained salaries
Tier 2 - 10 million or less

Not many teams are crossing this bar.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I don’t know if we truly have many teams that fit the mold with no bad or overpriced contracts

Which is my argument about the Oilers bad contracts.. we are around 10 million over which seems to be pretty damn good! And that is before you factor in we have Drai for 8.5 and Connor 12.5. I feel that offsets the 10 million, no? Then Hyman, Skinner and Bouch (RFA so a bit different) all have a lot more value.

I did foget Kane - that one is aging badly

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa

The only negative so far has been a single injury. He had 74 points last season, and his 16 in 20 this season before going down was still pacing for >65 and likely a top 10 defenseman point tally at season end.

And Meier leading the league in goals-in-March is a decent sign he may have worked out some problems (or been held back by Lindy)

I’m with the poster you replied to - the Devils’ only bad current contract is Palat. And of course the smattering of small dead money lumps from buyouts and retentions and recapture - of which all end in a matter of weeks except for one more year of 250k on Kovalchuk.

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Which is my argument about the Oilers bad contracts.. we are around 10 million over which seems to be pretty damn good! And that is before you factor in we have Drai for 8.5 and Connor 12.5. I feel that offsets the 10 million, no? Then Hyman, Skinner and Bouch (RFA so a bit different) all have a lot more value.

I did foget Kane - that one is aging badly
Kane was always going to be a bad signing, you don’t hand out that much to a guy who’s essentially playing for his life. Luckily it was short term. Really glad the Canucks didn’t bite when he tried to force his way to them from the Sharks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad