What team is in the worst shape?

Worst shape?

• Total voters

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Why are the Avs an option? They are on the verge of becoming a juggernaut..
100 percent agree.

Its Ottawa by a long shot until there is new ownership. No one is close because there is no hope with
Melnyk at the helm.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
Honestly I would put the Hawks or Wild in here before the Avs...

Don't get me wrong, I know they might be better than my Oilers right now... but I think it will be a while before either is a legitimate contender... the Wild especially are just stuck in the wild card zone

Drew Doubty

Apr 4, 2010
Vancouver, B.C.
Kings are really bad. 4 of their top 5 scorers are 31+ years old. Doughty is in his prime but has a lot of miles already. Maybe Vilardi emerges as a threat, but they'll be in the basement for the next 3 or 4 years I reckon.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Definitely the Oilers. They have some terrible contracts that they will have to live with for years to come. At least Ottawa has a relatively clean slate to start over with some excellent up and coming players.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
This list starts with Ottawa and then there's everyone else.

At least these others teams can actually pick 1OA.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I couldn't say L.A because i feel they've accepted the reality of their situation and have chosen the correct path going forward.

To some degree yes because they've finally publicly acknowledged it and started moving Cup pieces, and they've also got a headstart on rebuilding their cupboard from here on out with guys like Vilardi, Clague, JAD, Akil Thomas, Kupari, Grundstrom and Petersen in the system on top of a bunch of other wild cards like Durzi on top of what should have been Hughes/Kakko but...

Kings are really bad. 4 of their top 5 scorers are 31+ years old. Doughty is in his prime but has a lot of miles already. Maybe Vilardi emerges as a threat, but they'll be in the basement for the next 3 or 4 years I reckon.

I can also see the pessimistic view where Vilardi is dead, the rest of the guys sink out of any trade value, the rest of the above are nothing or middling NHLers, and we have 5 years of REAL pain ahead instead of 1 or 2 completely in the tank.

However with Doughty being more his usual self and Kopitar back to PPG since Thanksgiving, we're just good enough to NOT get top-5 I think, which WILL have us in hell for some time unless we start really blowing it up for tons of assets.

Steve

Mar 6, 2002
Ottawa - dfl with no pick and could potentially lose their 2 best players for nothing.

Edmonton - brutal team but they do have a gold ticket to either attract players and/or trade for a boatload.

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017
I like the Sens, but it has to be them. You have to go with the bad team that has no 1st, and may see the guy they gave up for that 1st for walk.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
Edmonton, terrible depth, terrible forward group outside of McDavid, Hopkins and Draisaitl. Major cap problems, not much help coming from their prospect pool, major uncertainty at the GM and Coaches positions.

That team has a grim future.

pabst blue ribbon

🇺🇦🤝🇵🇱
Oct 26, 2015
PG
Edmonton has something that will resemble a core when next season starts, Ottawa doesn't

Last edited:

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Minnesota is in p bad shape for the future. Their core isn't good enough to win and their u23 team is like kunin, greenway and Eriksson Ek + kaprisov

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Edmonton.
If Hopkins, McDavid and Drai are playing center they've got nothing on the wings. If they're playing on the top 2 lines they've got nothing at center and still very little on the wings since there's only 3 of them.
They've got 4.5M plunked into a goalie nobody wants for the next 3 years.
They've got something stupid like 28M invested in defence and they don't have a #1 or #2 d-man. The 2 d-men they'd prefer to trade have no movement clauses which become limited (very limited) at the end of this season.
In the system they've got some good prospects, but no snipers.
Even if Bouchard turns out to be awesome he's 2-3 years out from doing anything meaninful and none of our other d prospects have top 2 upside.

After this season Ottawa will have enough cap space to choke a horse. They've admited that they're going into a rebuild and they say that they'll spend again in 2021. They've already got a number of solid young players and that number will grow by then. They're in better shape than Edmonton.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Edmonton or Ottawa.

Ottawa is already an awful team and they are likely to lose their top two players this offseason and don't even have their own 1st so I went with them.

Marmoset

Apr 4, 2015
GTA
Ottawa

- Major issues with ownership
- Small market team
- Arena issue
- Poor team on the ice currently
- Various distractions/fiascos over the last year.

It's a perfect storm of so many issues hitting the team at once. The off-ice stuff can't help but affect the on-ice product.

Colorado shouldn't be in this poll.
Anaheim is having a bad season but should be fine in the big picture.
Edmonton has issues in ownership and management, but ownership is stable and they have a new arena.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
I think its probably Edmonton right now.

the Oilers have a cap crunch, bad contacts, and few valuable assets to trade.

At least with Ottawa you know they are dumping Stone and Duchene for assets, and are holding some nice young players in Chabot, White, and Tkachuk. The only bad contract holding them down is Ryan's, but they have a ton of cap space available.

In theory yeah but I don't trust Dorion to not f*** it up somehow

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
Why are the Avs an option? They are on the verge of becoming a juggernaut..
Just one caveat to that though. They will eventually have to pay through the nose for all of their superstars.

That includes Hughes who they will riverdance while selecting.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Ottawa without their 1st rounder. They don’t even have the draft to look forward too.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Just one caveat to that though. They will eventually have to pay through the nose for all of their superstars.

That includes Hughes who they will riverdance while selecting.
All teams have to pay their top young talent, its not only an Avs issue

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad