• Golf

• Boxing/MMA

• WWE/Fake Wrestling

• NASCAR

Results are only viewable after voting.

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
Hockey and soccer are top 2. Then football. I like golf and will occasionally watch some random event and I will watch the majors, but I wouldn't say i follow it. I've lost all interest in baseball. Most boring sport in the world.
I think I'd actually enjoy baseball if there were 2 rule changes (which will NEVER happen)

1 - Once the batter steps into the box, he's in - that's it. If he steps out of the box for any reason other than avoiding a brush back pitch it's an automatic strike.

2 - The pitcher is on the clock - literally. He has x amount of seconds once his back foot is touching the rubber to pitch the ball. If he goes over the allotted time, it's an automatic ball.

I'm fairly ignorant about the intricacies of baseball, so maybe this would cause other problems I'm unaware of but it would speed the game up tremendously IMO.

Reactions: RagFinMet

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Now it's gonna bother me if I don't.

So it al started when the owners of a catch wrestling company (this is, competitive, legitimate grappling) decided they would draw more tickets if they predetermined matches to make them more exciting.

So it's "fake" insofar as there are predetermined winners and losers, cooperation, and story elements. That's pretty much where "fake" ends.

I used to do martial arts when I was a boy. Every week we would fight - we had sparring with our classmates. This was for sport, not for self-defense, so we pulled a bit. You would hit the other kids at like 50, 60, 70%. It was was a competition but you didn't wanna hurt them. That's more or less the bare minimum of how hard pro wrestlers hit each other. The idea that the strikes don't make contact like in the action movies is very much not a thing.

And that's just the strikes. Consider the slams and whatnot. Your back is hitting the mat. There's no way to fake that. There's a technique to minimize acute damage but you're getting slammed onto the floor. And despite the myths that are out there, wrestling rings are not f***ing bouncy castles. The padding is about as thick as NHL ice. Somebody jumps on you from the top rope? He's landing on you. He's 250 pounds, f***in hurts. No way to fake it.

It also depends on the style. WWE is by far the weakest although it does entail everything I described. I say it's not pro wrestling because it's a lot of hokey bullshit that doesn't even make an attempt at suspension of disbelief - a lot of wink wink nudge nudge programming that parodies itself being "fake." I resent their mainstream success and that, as a result, millions of people think that's what all wrestling is. And even there, it's very dangerous. Somebody recently broke their neck.

Then there's hardcore wrestling, which isn't my cup of tea but a lot of that is very real. The tables are legitimate wood. The thumbtacks are real. The barbed wire is real. The ladders don't give at all, you're getting thrown onto steel.

Then there's f***ing Japan. That's where they do strong style, which is more like 90% instead of the 50-70 I described before. And you don't blade in Japan. Yes, the blood is real and "blade" is exactly what it sounds like. In strong style, they think cutting yourself is soft so they bleed "the hard way" which is...again, exactly what it f***ing sounds like.

Strong style's psychotic older brother is Ōdō. Ōdō is full contact. In Ōdō matches, when a move calls for you to be spiked on your head, guess what buddy! That's even illegal in MMA.

Also, people use the word "script" a lot. There isn't one. The fights are like, 90% improvised.

There are many, many wresters with a competitive fighting background because at its tamest, it's not far off from sparring.
Wait are you actually arguing that it’s real? Lmao, I’m so lost. Like the WWE, Wrestlemania, where they’re hitting people with chairs. You’re saying that it’s real??

hackeyman

Jun 26, 2018
You didn't list tennis ! I never really followed until about 10 years ago . One of the greatest era's of any sport with the THREE GREATEST PLAYERS OF ALL TIME PLAYING AT THE SAME TIME and for a while a 4th competitive player. The number of epic battles has been amazing to watch. I became fascinated with the mental toughness of Rafa Nadal. He has to be the mentally toughest athlete I have ever seen. He comes from behind to win so often it sometimes looks like he revels in breaking the spirit of his competitors. Then you have Federer the perfect tennis player and then Djokovic who is like a machine/robot.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Wait are you actually arguing that it’s real? Lmao, I’m so lost. Like the WWE, Wrestlemania, where they’re hitting people with chairs. You’re saying that it’s real??
I'm not arguing anything. I'm telling you how it works.

Let's say somebody gets hit with a chair. They allowed their opponent to hit them with a chair because they're not in a competitive fight but you're seeing them get hit with a chair.

And this guy fell through real air and landed on the real ground because of real gravity.

How would you think it works? It's filmed live. Do you think wrestling is animated??

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
They are hitting each other with chairs, yes.

The winner of the match, length, and what sort of weapons they’ll use is scripted, but a lot of the choreography isn’t. The only think that’s fake is the punches and hits with certain weapons (like sledgehammers).

And I’m saying this as someone who couldn’t care less about wrestling.

There’s a documentary on Vice called Dark Side of the Ring which goes into detail. Pretty fascinating stuff.

• Haha
Reactions: EdJovanovski

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
They are hitting each other with chairs, yes.

The winner of the match, length, and what sort of weapons they’ll use is scripted, but a lot of the choreography isn’t. The only think that’s fake is the punches and hits with certain weapons (like sledgehammers).

And I’m saying this as someone who couldn’t care less about wrestling.

There’s a documentary on Vice called Dark Side of the Ring which goes into detail. Pretty fascinating stuff.
DSoTR is awesome

Reactions: Kane One

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
@will1066 have you seen the match where Minoru Suzuki and Hiromu Takahashi just decided to for reals kung fu chop the shit out each other for like 15 minutes.

l love Suzuki so much. He's like if Lindgren's blood became sentient and was mad at Georgiev 24/7.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Keep it up with your laugh reacts, I'll turn this into a no context Suzuki thread
tumblr_p0s7yx1sNe1rwg8oqo2_500.jpg

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
Aussie Rules football
Hockey
Cricket
Mountain biking
Rugby Union to some extent

I watch NFL on Monday mornings because it beats working, but I have NFI what's going on half the time

I enjoy playing tennis but don't watch a lot of it (although d try and get to the Australian Open most years)

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Only hockey. I can hold a conversation about most sports but I haven’t followed baseball since like Wade Boggs was our third baseman and I haven’t followed basketball since Sprewell choked his coach. Football I don’t “follow” but I watch MAYBE half the weeks and then 2/3 of the playoffs. I love lacrosse (I was 4 or 5 years ahead of the Bratton twins, same school) but I’d rather toss on a sunny day with some friends than sit and watch a low production value lacrosse game on TV. But hockey is and has been a literal one track obsession since I was 3 years old and David Volek sent me back home from next door wearing his massive Jofa bucket with the half shield. Thought I was in the NHL from that moment forward and still do.

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
Regularly follow baseball, football and basketball alongside hockey.

I always will find some time to peep in with WWE because its still hilarious and brings a smile to my face from time to time.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
@will1066 have you seen the match where Minoru Suzuki and Hiromu Takahashi just decided to for reals kung fu chop the shit out each other for like 15 minutes.

l love Suzuki so much. He's like if Lindgren's blood became sentient and was mad at Georgiev 24/7.
I think I've seen that yes lol

Reactions: Machinehead

Ratelleitlikeitis

Apr 7, 2011
Guelph
Hockey... Rangers
Basketball... Raptors
Baseball... Tigers
Football...gulp Lions, but my dogs name is Chief so they are default
Golf
EPL...Hammers

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
I don’t follow MMA either, but I enjoy watching fights. I’ve done several martial arts and had several levels of hand to hand combatives training in the military, which brings in some martial arts submissions and grappling. I’ve thought about joining a gym and maybe even looking to do an amateur fight. I’m pretty far passed “fighting age” though. I don’t have the flexibility to fight in a sport with a lot of kicks but I don’t like boxing as much as MMA. My hips are just f***ed from years of hockey, super heavy squats and dead’s.
08FB4415-B28C-4AEB-97F0-2B3EF925B33A.jpeg

Last edited:

RosensRug

Oct 1, 2020
Now it's gonna bother me if I don't.

So it al started when the owners of a catch wrestling company (this is, competitive, legitimate grappling) decided they would draw more tickets if they predetermined matches to make them more exciting.

So it's "fake" insofar as there are predetermined winners and losers, cooperation, and story elements. That's pretty much where "fake" ends.

I used to do martial arts when I was a boy. Every week we would fight - we had sparring with our classmates. This was for sport, not for self-defense, so we pulled a bit. You would hit the other kids at like 50, 60, 70%. It was was a competition but you didn't wanna hurt them. That's more or less the bare minimum of how hard pro wrestlers hit each other. The idea that the strikes don't make contact like in the action movies is very much not a thing.

And that's just the strikes. Consider the slams and whatnot. Your back is hitting the mat. There's no way to fake that. There's a technique to minimize acute damage but you're getting slammed onto the floor. And despite the myths that are out there, wrestling rings are not f***ing bouncy castles. The padding is about as thick as NHL ice. Somebody jumps on you from the top rope? He's landing on you. He's 250 pounds, f***in hurts. No way to fake it.

It also depends on the style. WWE is by far the weakest although it does entail everything I described. I say it's not pro wrestling because it's a lot of hokey bullshit that doesn't even make an attempt at suspension of disbelief - a lot of wink wink nudge nudge programming that parodies itself being "fake." I resent their mainstream success and that, as a result, millions of people think that's what all wrestling is. And even there, it's very dangerous. Somebody recently broke their neck.

Then there's hardcore wrestling, which isn't my cup of tea but a lot of that is very real. The tables are legitimate wood. The thumbtacks are real. The barbed wire is real. The ladders don't give at all, you're getting thrown onto steel.

Then there's f***ing Japan. That's where they do strong style, which is more like 90% instead of the 50-70 I described before. And you don't blade in Japan. Yes, the blood is real and "blade" is exactly what it sounds like. In strong style, they think cutting yourself is soft so they bleed "the hard way" which is...again, exactly what it f***ing sounds like.

Strong style's psychotic older brother is Ōdō. Ōdō is full contact. In Ōdō matches, when a move calls for you to be spiked on your head, guess what buddy! That's even illegal in MMA.

Also, people use the word "script" a lot. There isn't one. The fights are like, 90% improvised.

There are many, many wresters with a competitive fighting background because at its tamest, it's not far off from sparring.

Dyfpa7DV4AE0XKC.jpg

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Always has been hockey (NHL and to a lesser extent NCAA) and NFL as the main sports I really follow.

But during the pandemic I got really into Formula 1. The Netflix show, Drive To Survive, is amazing. That is creeping right up into the #2 spot.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
Always has been hockey (NHL and to a lesser extent NCAA) and NFL as the main sports I really follow.

But during the pandemic I got really into Formula 1. The Netflix show, Drive To Survive, is amazing. That is creeping right up into the #2 spot.
Glad DtS got you into F1, but take the drama with a grain of salt.

I started watching F1 in 2014, and it fairly easily for me became my favorite.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Here's the thing with baseball: when it was at its peak, most Americans didn't have TV.

I love baseball but I firmly believe it wasn't designed to be watched. It's a radio sport.

I go out a few nights a week during the summer since it's light out so late and warm all the time. I always bring my headphones with me, throw on the radio app, and that's how I consume a great deal of my Yankees content.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad