Baseballl
Lacrosse
Handegg
Professional f***ing wrestling which is neither fake nor WWE

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Only really hockey for me. I like golf too but I don't watch or follow it, just play it. Only sports I've played at an organized level are hockey & golf. And I took Muay Thai classes. I watch the occasional big Boxing/MMA event but I don't follow it at all.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Followed Football (Gmen) but got soured on the take a knee for the Anthem shit. f%&@ Kapernick! Started watching again this year after a few years off. Very exciting Draft for the Gmen and the Jets in a few weeks. Both clubs with 2 picks in the top 10.

Can't lump MMA with Boxing. Two totally different animals. I follow MMA.

Follow Collegiate Wrestling as well. Hawkeyes!

Also follow Womens College Volleyball. Don't even know how I got into it but found myself tuning in quite a bit.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
NHL - Rangers
MLB - mets
NFL - Jets
NCAA BBall - St Johns

The MLB and NFL in general i follow less than i used to, like i cant even name a ton of players anymore where i used to be able to name full starting lineups.

NHL is number one followed by NCAA BBall.

Just dont have the time I used too. Plus the mlb and nfl on field product just isnt as good anymore. Unfortunately i see people want the college basketball game to be played and called more like the NBA. If that happens i will probably stop caring as much about it as well. The NBA is just awful to watch.

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
Only hockey. I'm British, so SHOULD follow soccer but it bores me senseless. I used to be into cricket in my younger days but post-Brexit find myself rejecting all things English... so couldn't give a monkey's about it anymore.

Reactions: will1066

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Do I really want to attempt to explain pro wrestling to you today?
Now it's gonna bother me if I don't.

So it al started when the owners of a catch wrestling company (this is, competitive, legitimate grappling) decided they would draw more tickets if they predetermined matches to make them more exciting.

So it's "fake" insofar as there are predetermined winners and losers, cooperation, and story elements. That's pretty much where "fake" ends.

I used to do martial arts when I was a boy. Every week we would fight - we had sparring with our classmates. This was for sport, not for self-defense, so we pulled a bit. You would hit the other kids at like 50, 60, 70%. It was was a competition but you didn't wanna hurt them. That's more or less the bare minimum of how hard pro wrestlers hit each other. The idea that the strikes don't make contact like in the action movies is very much not a thing.

And that's just the strikes. Consider the slams and whatnot. Your back is hitting the mat. There's no way to fake that. There's a technique to minimize acute damage but you're getting slammed onto the floor. And despite the myths that are out there, wrestling rings are not f***ing bouncy castles. The padding is about as thick as NHL ice. Somebody jumps on you from the top rope? He's landing on you. He's 250 pounds, f***in hurts. No way to fake it.

It also depends on the style. WWE is by far the weakest although it does entail everything I described. I say it's not pro wrestling because it's a lot of hokey bullshit that doesn't even make an attempt at suspension of disbelief - a lot of wink wink nudge nudge programming that parodies itself being "fake." I resent their mainstream success and that, as a result, millions of people think that's what all wrestling is. And even there, it's very dangerous. Somebody recently broke their neck.

Then there's hardcore wrestling, which isn't my cup of tea but a lot of that is very real. The tables are legitimate wood. The thumbtacks are real. The barbed wire is real. The ladders don't give at all, you're getting thrown onto steel.

Then there's f***ing Japan. That's where they do strong style, which is more like 90% instead of the 50-70 I described before. And you don't blade in Japan. Yes, the blood is real and "blade" is exactly what it sounds like. In strong style, they think cutting yourself is soft so they bleed "the hard way" which is...again, exactly what it f***ing sounds like.

Strong style's psychotic older brother is Ōdō. Ōdō is full contact. In Ōdō matches, when a move calls for you to be spiked on your head, guess what buddy! That's even illegal in MMA.

Also, people use the word "script" a lot. There isn't one. The fights are like, 90% improvised.

There are many, many wresters with a competitive fighting background because at its tamest, it's not far off from sparring.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Only hockey. I'm British, so SHOULD follow soccer but it bores me senseless. I used to be into cricket in my younger days but post-Brexit find myself rejecting all things English... so couldn't give a monkey's about it anymore.
Cricket f***s

Reactions: TheDirtyH

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
Now it's gonna bother me if I don't.

So it al started when the owners of a catch wrestling company (this is, competitive, legitimate grappling) decided they would draw more tickets if they predetermined matches to make them more exciting.

So it's "fake" insofar as there are predetermined winners and losers, cooperation, and story elements. That's pretty much where "fake" ends.

I used to do martial arts when I was a boy. Every week we would fight - we had sparring with our classmates. This was for sport, not for self-defense, so we pulled a bit. You would hit the other kids at like 50, 60, 70%. It was was a competition but you didn't wanna hurt them. That's more or less the bare minimum of how hard pro wrestlers hit each other. The idea that the strikes don't make contact like in the action movies is very much not a thing.

And that's just the strikes. Consider the slams and whatnot. Your back is hitting the mat. There's no way to fake that. There's a technique to minimize acute damage but you're getting slammed onto the floor. And despite the myths that are out there, wrestling rings are not f***ing bouncy castles. The padding is about as thick as NHL ice. Somebody jumps on you from the top rope? He's landing on you. He's 250 pounds, f***in hurts. No way to fake it.

It also depends on the style. WWE is by far the weakest although it does entail everything I described. I say it's not pro wrestling because it's a lot of hokey bullshit that doesn't even make an attempt at suspension of disbelief - a lot of wink wink nudge nudge programming that parodies itself being "fake." I resent their mainstream success and that, as a result, millions of people think that's what all wrestling is. And even there, it's very dangerous. Somebody recently broke their neck.

Then there's hardcore wrestling, which isn't my cup of tea but a lot of that is very real. The tables are legitimate wood. The thumbtacks are real. The barbed wire is real. The ladders don't give at all, you're getting thrown onto steel.

Then there's f***ing Japan. That's where they do strong style, which is more like 90% instead of the 50-70 I described before. And you don't blade in Japan. Yes, the blood is real and "blade" is exactly what it sounds like. In strong style, they think cutting yourself is soft so they bleed "the hard way" which is...again, exactly what it f***ing sounds like.

Strong style's psychotic older brother is Ōdō. Ōdō is full contact. In Ōdō matches, when a move calls for you to be spiked on your head, guess what buddy! That's even illegal in MMA.

Also, people use the word "script" a lot. There isn't one. The fights are like, 90% improvised.

There are many, many wresters with a competitive fighting background because at its tamest, it's not far off from sparring.

Well, Ricky Steamboat and Randy Savage wrote down their entire Wrestlemania match move by move and it was one of the greatest in history. lol

But yeah, agree with what you said.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
Hockey and soccer are top 2. Then football. I like golf and will occasionally watch some random event and I will watch the majors, but I wouldn't say i follow it. I've lost all interest in baseball. Most boring sport in the world.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Rangers, Yanks, College hockey
my loose-knit goal for retirement is kinda near a D1 hockey team and a minor league baseball team

oddly, also, i read the Post often about the Knicks but rarely watch them,
while i often put on the Jets for background company, but rarely read about them, or follow closely

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad