Salary Cap: What should Detroit do with it?

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Yzerman isn't the kind of guy who does offer sheets. I'm pretty sure after seeing how the Carolina/Fedorov offer sheet destroyed Fedorov's relationship with the Wings, he wouldn't be a fan.

It's weird to imagine what the Wings would've gotten in compensation if they had let Fedorov go. Based on prior offer sheets in the 90s, it likely would've been something like 5 first rounders.

It should be noted that, after signing that deal, Fedorov was not a PPG player in the playoffs or regular season. Wings might have been better off with the picks.

Last edited:

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Use it to acquire more picks (either additional picks standing alone or to move up on draft day) or good young prospects (far less likely). I think we are a couple seasons away from swimming in the deep end of the UFA pool.

Hoog

Feb 4, 2021
Sign RFA's Vrana, Bertuzzi, Erne, and Hronek. Sign UFA's Blake Coleman (3 years @ $12-14M), Jamie Oleksiak (3 years @ $12M), Derek Forbort (2 years @ $6M), Antti Raanta (1 @ $3M), and Alex Chiasson (1 year @ $1.25M)

Coleman/Larkin/Bert
Vrana/Fabbri/Zadina
Erne/Ras/Panik
Smith/Veleno/Chiasson
Namestnikov and Svech extras
Berggren/Raymond- next prospects up

Oleksiak/Hronek
Forbort/Seider
Stecher/Cholowski
Lindstrom and DDK extras

Greiss/Raanta

Reactions: evolutionbaby

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Yzerman isn't the kind of guy who does offer sheets. I'm pretty sure after seeing how the Carolina/Fedorov offer sheet destroyed Fedorov's relationship with the Wings, he wouldn't be a fan.

It's weird to imagine what the Wings would've gotten in compensation if they had let Fedorov go. Based on prior offer sheets in the 90s, it likely would've been something like 5 first rounders.

It should be noted that, after signing that deal, Fedorov was not a PPG player in the playoffs or regular season. Wings might have been better off with the picks.
I don't remember what the comp would've been at the time, but 5 1sts:

Granted, our picks would be different players & slightly lower (worse) due to CAR having Feds move the needle a bit, but not too much (about mid-high teens draft picks).

Carolina Hurricanes Draft History at hockeydb.com

1997 Entry221Nikos TseliosD
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
1998 Entry111Jeff HeeremaR
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
1999 Entry161Dave TanabeD
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
2000 Entry322Tomas KurkaL
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
**2000 No 1st Rd. pick**
2001 Entry151Igor KnyazevD
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I don't remember what the comp would've been at the time, but 5 1sts:

Granted, our picks would be different players & slightly lower (worse) due to CAR having Feds move the needle a bit, but not too much (about mid-high teens draft picks).

Carolina Hurricanes Draft History at hockeydb.com

1997 Entry221Nikos TseliosD
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
1998 Entry111Jeff HeeremaR
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
1999 Entry161Dave TanabeD
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
2000 Entry322Tomas KurkaL
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
**2000 No 1st Rd. pick**
2001 Entry151Igor KnyazevD
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Thank whatever higher power you believe in that we matched that offer sheet. No 1998 or 2002 cup without Fedorov.

Also looking back, the 1998 to 2001 drafts were not much to write home about. Even better that we didn't let Fedorov go in hindsight.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Thank whatever higher power you believe in that we matched that offer sheet. No 1998 or 2002 cup without Fedorov.

Also looking back, the 1998 to 2001 drafts were not much to write home about. Even better that we didn't let Fedorov go in hindsight.
I wasn't worried Ilitch wouldn't match. He had the $, it was that 1st yr. $28M that was the minor stumbling block. No way Wings were letting Feds go, unless it was for $10m/yr or something crazy. Back then that was $20M++ of today's dollars.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
If you go get a real 1C, who's the right age for the rest of the prospects, that will push Larkin to 2C, add in the 4.3 million wingers coming up in the next year or two, along with the Seider on D, and you still can't win enough games to show progress towards contention? You might as well fold the franchise and give up because you're Buffalo, and you're sure as heck not a Shane Wright away from anything.

The stark terror that the team might do something in case it doesn't pan out is so absurd, especially when it's centered around magic beans that our scouts seem incapable of turning into a 1C anyway (and that rely on a badly broken draft process).

Look around the NHL.
Lots of teams have 1 and 2Cs and defense, and still suck.
Look no further than Pettersson's Canucks.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Look around the NHL.
Lots of teams have 1 and 2Cs and defense, and still suck.
Look no further than Pettersson's Canucks.

Ok? Lots of teams don't have any of those things and suck. Look no further than the Detroit Red Wings.

"Other teams do things and still suck so we shouldn't do things" is a wildly bad take.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
The fact that Blashill was extended makes me think we are gonna be sitting on a lot of cap space with an absolute ass roster again next year. We'll sign a few washed up players for cheap and try to flip them for picks. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Reactions: Oddbob and Winger98

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
The fact that Blashill was extended makes me think we are gonna be sitting on a lot of cap space with an absolute ass roster again next year. We'll sign a few washed up players for cheap and try to flip them for picks. Wash, rinse, repeat.
Sounds about right. I'm not sure what else you'd expect at this point. Maybe they'll trade Bertuzzi at the draft or deadline a la Mantha.

Or are you hoping Yzerman goes out and signs Ovechkin and Rask?

Last edited:

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

Same. I'm expecting we'll do what we can to hit the cap floor, maybe Yzerman gets authorization to take on one Marc Staal type contract for picks but other than that, meh.

This is a team makes me think of canning my NHLTV subscription. I might go back to AHLTV or stick to watching the SHL next year.

Reactions: CaptainZetterberg40

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Ok? Lots of teams don't have any of those things and suck. Look no further than the Detroit Red Wings.

"Other teams do things and still suck so we shouldn't do things" is a wildly bad take.

You want to sacrifice a bunch of top 5 and top 10 picks for one guy, fine.
But I don't.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I'm not sure there are any forwards we could realistically pursue but I'm still hoping for a decent LD or two and a goalie. Up front we have an assortment of kids (Smith, Pearson, Raymond, Berggren, Svech, Veleno) who should be competing for spots this fall and at least a few should make it. That's where our empty spots up front should be going.

Use it to acquire more picks (either additional picks standing alone or to move up on draft day) or good young prospects (far less likely). I think we are a couple seasons away from swimming in the deep end of the UFA pool.

It feels like we haven't been as aggressive on this front as we could be. Hoping we really throw some of that unused cap space around at some point.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
The Yzerplan: Hoard draft picks, sign depth guys, flip what you can at the deadline, take BPA in the draft.

I see no harm in one last year of the same, then beginning to shift gears and truly climb in the standings.

Really, Seider alone will make next season more entertaining, even if there are zero additional wins.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
They'll do nothing with it yet cause ownership doesn't want to spend money yet. Seems like a few more drafts, and once there are a group of "home-growns" on the team, maybe then, we'll see some major UFA signings. Till then...

Snooze-fest. Hope Seider is really good! He's basically it right now.

Not totally against a Ryan Nugent-Hopkins signing depending on money... Red Wings need a quality 2nd line and Larkin or RNH would be nice with all our young developing wingers.(Raymond/Berggen/Zadina/Vrana) And allows younger guys like Rassmussen/Veleno to ease into ice time on that third line as a center... Just my thoughts. I'd hate anything over 4 years 6+mill.

Last edited:
Reactions: ColdToiletSeats

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
I don't think Yzerman will be ready to move past rebuilding through the draft until he's drafted some stars to build around. I'm not sure how early that could happen but I think at least another season, possibly several more. When it happens, I believe we'll see Steve do some big things with cap space.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
At best he will use cap space to "rent it out"

Only for a player with 1 year left on his deal and a team that needs to create cap space, ie Vancouver.

I could see a deal of Louie Ericsson and a 2nd for future's.

Apart from that he will add a depth forward and a depth dman or two to flip at the TDL and will resign Bernier.

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014
I want Yzerman to bring in a veteran SC winning defenseman in for Seider. This year will be another non-playoff year so I would toss some money at Chara or Martinez to come in and son Seider a bit.

EDIT: Also stay away from RNH.

Last edited:
Reactions: golffuul

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad