Salary Cap: What should Detroit do with it?

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
With the salary cap being static for the foreseeable future, it should be used to take bad contracts for high picks or it should be used to target quality free agents to build a contending roster.

What it will really do is sit unused in Ilitch's pocket.

Reactions: Winger98

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
Offer sheet Petterson. Vancouver will likely find a way to match, but this rebuild is stuck in neutral until we land a 1C. Be bold.

Reactions: David D and njx9

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Offer sheet Petterson. Vancouver will likely find a way to match, but this rebuild is stuck in neutral until we land a 1C. Be bold.

Offer sheets cost draft picks. I don't know if Detroit should give them up to take on cap. Also, said player would make the team better, so it's a gamble.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base

-Competitive enough for '21-'22 to still get a top5-10 draft pick
-added a few vets on 1yr deals to sell @ TDL & stabilize the ship in the interim.

-allows for Cap Space Weaponization throughout the year.

.....and/or Eichel trade; Bert (extended)+ '21 1st + Ras + Tuomisto + '22 2nd., maybe Erne as a throw-in too.

Sell @TDL : LGD, Vlad, Merrill & Stech, maybe Erne, Griess + DDK & Panik lol .

L1= legitimate scoring line, draws top Dmen, at least as good as a good L2 on most teams.

L2= F&Z + V&Z have prior chemistry. Fabs helps w/Center duties & backup FO C/W. All 3 play a 200ft. game, which is key since they're all looking for their offense to break out (though Fabs kinda already did last season & this one ww/50pt. paces, albeit over shortened seasons).

L3/L4= Ray & Berg likely start in GR, I'd say 50/50% chance or better. We have the depth (Panik & Smitty) to fill in until. +Nielsen can go to LTIR later in season if need be.

1 Rookie on each L2-L4.
1 "Sophomore" on L2-L4.
1 "Jr./Sr." on L2-L4.

upload_2021-5-10_0-22-5-png.431998
upload_2021-5-10_0-23-18-png.431999

Last edited:

Ishad

Jun 2, 2010
Tyler BertuzziDylan LarkinFilip Zadina
Jakub VranaVladislav NamestnikovRobby Fabbri
Joe VelenoMichael RasmussenRichard Panik
Givani SmithFrans NielsenAdam Erne
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
XXXXXXXXXXFilip Hronek
Dennis CholowskiMoritz Seider
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
XXXXXXXXX
Greiss
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Forwards are almost full. We have space on D.

I'd like to see if we could get Vince Dunn for cheap, wonder if the Flyers would pay us to take Ghost.

Last edited:
Reactions: rkwittem and lilidk

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Offer sheets cost draft picks. I don't know if Detroit should give them up to take on cap. Also, said player would make the team better, so it's a gamble.

For Vancouver not to match, the offer sheet would require four 1st round picks.

And that's why there's been only one successful offer sheet transaction in nearly 25 years.

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
I like what we've been doing, take on a bad contract for picks (Staal) and take negative value contracts to win trades (Panik). More of that, hopefully taking advantage of the flat cap / expansion draft market.

Reactions: David D

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I agree with the others: use cap space to take on short-term bad contracts in exchange for draft picks. Add low-key veterans like we did in goal and on defense this year. Trade any trade-worthy assets to gain more draft picks. Stay lean and pile up draft picks until you have the core you are ready to contend with and at that point you venture into UFA for the big fish in order to fill any holes in your lineup.

ShippinItDaily

Apr 28, 2004
Saskatoon
I think and take on a decent player with an excessive contract that a team is looking to get rid of. My top candidates for this are players like Gostisbehere, van Riemsdyk and Gardiner.

Gostisbehere has 2 years left on his deal and could QB the top PP. He'd be a big upgrade on what we have currently. I know he was waived towards the end of the season, but it's hard to know what to make of waivers from this past year. Things were wonky. Philly would probably even treat him as a negative asset. We should be interested in that.

van Riemsdyk has 2 years left and he is quite overpaid. He could help our PP a lot and be a good player for Ras to learn from. If Philly is looking to acquire Eichel then they will need to move salary and JVR is a prime candidate.

Gardiner is a player that was waived this year and can't find his way into Carolina's lineup every night. They will need to clear up room if they want to bring back Hamilton and Gardiner is an obvious player that they will want to move. He's not a great PP QB but he could probably play on one of our units and he is a pretty stable, LH puck mover. Might be a good partner for Seider and Carolina would be paying us to take him.

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
Don't get too lose in who one sign and how many contracts one take on.

Absolutely take on short term bad contracts for picks/young roster player with upside/prospects.
Sign players who are assets in terms of ability to trade them for picks/roster player/prospects.
Chance on signing some players who could rebound and either be traded or be part of a long-term solution. Age must be on our side.
If able, land a significant player from free agency that would be with the team long-term.
Possible trade for one, but careful in regards to what to give up.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Launch an epic spending spree chasing 2-3 big names that are clearly past their best years and looking for one last mega deal. Maybe Getzlaf and Saad.

Psyche! :jk:

Keep the current direction of short term leveraging while looking for 1-2 affordable yet stabilizing free agents. Although it never hurts to do a price check on the handful of better defensemen hitting the market.

Reactions: Lil Bert

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Outside of Oleksiak, there are few UFAs worth investing in.

I gotta say it's so weird to see people hyped for him after he was basically one of the Stars biggest draft busts.

Same with Jack Campbell.

Just took them a decade, I guess.

Reactions: Rzombo4 prez

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017

Nothing says smart management like giving up your shots at Wright/Lambert/Savoie, Bedard/Michkov, and your 2024 and 2025 picks.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
We're not ready to compete, the UFA pool sucks, and teams are getting crushed under the cap.

The answer here is obvious.

Spend to the cap on over the hill vets, trade picks and prospects for the David Legwands of the league and chase that 8th playoff seed before the tires fall off?

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Tyler BertuzziDylan LarkinFilip Zadina
Jakub VranaVladislav NamestnikovRobby Fabbri
Joe VelenoMichael RasmussenRichard Panik
Givani SmithFrans NielsenAdam Erne
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
XXXXXXXXXXFilip Hronek
Dennis CholowskiMoritz Seider
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
XXXXXXXXX
Greiss
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Forwards are almost full. We have space on D.

I'd like to see if we could get Vince Dunn for cheap, wonder if the Flyers would pay us to take Ghost.
Danny DeKeyser will be one of the LDs, As far as the bottom pairing RD take your pick between Stecher and Lindstrom.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I gotta say it's so weird to see people hyped for him after he was basically one of the Stars biggest draft busts.

Same with Jack Campbell.

Just took them a decade, I guess.

I never thought much of him til the playoffs last year.
He looked like a beast.
Huge. Very good skater. Seems to contribute offensively, even if the numbers aren't there.
Physical.
Whoever Seider
Oleksiak Hronek
Sounds like an OK top 4.

Oleksiak went 6-8-14 last year at ES.

Probably looking at

Dekeyser-Seider
Oleksiak-Hronek
Cholowski-???
I'd strongly consider another veteran (maybe Demers) for the third RD position to give Seider/Hronek a break from the PK and tough matchups from time to time.

It f***s Lindstrom, but big deal.
2-3 years from now, Demers retires and by then Tuomisto should be taking one of those jobs on RD. By then, Seider is hitting his stride, Hronek is a 6 year veteran.

Last edited:

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Imagine if we go get Pettersson and it we still suck and Vancouver gets Shane Wright or whatever.

If you go get a real 1C, who's the right age for the rest of the prospects, that will push Larkin to 2C, add in the 4.3 million wingers coming up in the next year or two, along with the Seider on D, and you still can't win enough games to show progress towards contention? You might as well fold the franchise and give up because you're Buffalo, and you're sure as heck not a Shane Wright away from anything.

The stark terror that the team might do something in case it doesn't pan out is so absurd, especially when it's centered around magic beans that our scouts seem incapable of turning into a 1C anyway (and that rely on a badly broken draft process).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad