Speculation: What should be our final roster assuming we are 100% healthy going into the playoffs?

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
As we all know, playoffs is very diffrent from regular season.

Babcock should try to start with the most gritty team possible.

How do you want the lines to look like?

Did anyone else shutter and cringe last night when Mickey mentioned Cleary working on his leg to come back?

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
There's no way Clearys in. And Babs is probably ok with that. Glendening has helped Babs get over the loss of Cleary.

Yeah, I can't see Cleary just being slid back into the lineup, either. I'll probably catch some flak for this, but I also wouldn't mind having Cleary in reserve if injuries hit again and we start needing bodies to put in the lineup.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Let's just assume Z and Weiss are done for the year. Pavs is skating and should be good to go if/when we make it to the playoffs.

Mule-Pavs-Nyquist
Tatar-Sheahan-Jurco
Abdelkader-Legwand-Alfredsson
Glendening-Andersson-Miller
Helm

Kronner-E
DeKeyser-Smith
Quincey-Lashoff
Kindl

Howie
Gustavsson

1. Pavs and Nyquist can carry Mule's lazy ass and make him a consistent scorer.
  2. The second line is money, you don't **** with that. :rant:
  3. Third line gives us two grinders and one scorer, assuming Alfie can handle the softer competition on the third line.
  4. Still not sold on Helmer being anywhere close to where he was before the injury parade, but he'll be there to take someone's place if it becomes necessary. That fourth line is full of PK'ers and both Glendening and Miller can both forecheck.

OK so it looks like E is done for the year. And Helm is proving he is fully back to being the player he was before the injury parade. So I'd go with:

Mule-Pavs-Nyquist
Tatar-Sheahan-Jurco
Glendening-Helm-Miller
Andersson

Kronner-Smith
DeKeyser-Quincey
Kindl-Lashoff

Howie
Gustavsson

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
OK so it looks like E is done for the year. And Helm is proving he is fully back to being the player he was before the injury parade. So I'd go with:

Mule-Pavs-Nyquist
Tatar-Sheahan-Jurco
Glendening-Helm-Miller

I like those lines. If/when Z comes back, I'd go with

Z - Datsyuk - Nyquist
Kid Line
Franzen - Legwand - Alfredsson
Glendening - Helm - Miller/Abby

rx7dryver

Apr 11, 2009
Yeah, I can't see Cleary just being slid back into the lineup, either. I'll probably catch some flak for this, but I also wouldn't mind having Cleary in reserve if injuries hit again and we start needing bodies to put in the lineup.

I wouldn't mind either. I do not want him replacing anyone healthy except maybe andersson. He would make a decent 4th line winger/PK guy.

SimplySolace

"We like our team"
Jun 30, 2013

Mule-Pavs-Nyquist
Tatar-Sheahan-Jurco
Glendening-Helm-Miller
Andersson

I'd flip Legwand and Helm tbh. I think Abby-Helm-Alfie played pretty well earlier in the season? Plus Legwand isn't impressing me lately despite being on the score-sheet.

Big E won't be back until May :(

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010

He'll be behind Andersson and Bertuzzi on the depth chart.

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010

Mule-Pavs-Nyquist
Tatar-Sheahan-Jurco
Glendening-Helm-Miller
Andersson

Kronner-Smith
DeKeyser-Quincey
Kindl-Lashoff

Howie
Gustavsson

Agreed 100%. These lines worked. Babcock's "Will it Blend?" lines did not.

Hendricks433

Feb 18, 2013
I wouldn't mind either. I do not want him replacing anyone healthy except maybe andersson. He would make a decent 4th line winger/PK guy.

4th liner and that's it. He always does add some nice grit and toughness in the playoffs.

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010

4th liner and that's it. He always does add some nice grit and toughness in the playoffs.

How quickly you forget that Cleary was not only the very worst player on the team, but also one of the very worst in the league. His body is broken beyond repair and his decision-making on the ice is highly suspect.

If you really think that he has the capacity to be anything but a liability on the ice, I can't help but think that nostalgia is seeping through.

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010
I'm ok with that.

He might be behind Ferraro, Callahan, Pulkkinen, and Emmerton also. He's pretty much done, really; he hasn't even gotten back on the ice yet. Given that he's been off it for over a month now and his knee is still a wreck, there's virtually no chance of him getting back into game shape within the next month.

J15

Mar 18, 2009
Sorry if this has already been discussed, but if Mantha is eliminated from the QMJHL playoffs soon does he go straight to GR or is there any chance he gets a few looks with the Wings?

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
Sorry if this has already been discussed, but if Mantha is eliminated from the QMJHL playoffs soon does he go straight to GR or is there any chance he gets a few looks with the Wings?

Probably Grand Rapids. Unless injuries happen. Although with the way youth has pushed this team in the 2nd half of the season it wouldn't shock me if they at least took a look at him in practice with the Wings before deciding where he'd play.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
What the deal With E anyway.. Didn't he get a finger fracture? I know that's a ***** when you're trying to hold a stick, but you'd think after 4-5 weeks he could tape it up and bang pucks off the glass anyway.

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
What the deal With E anyway.. Didn't he get a finger fracture? I know that's a ***** when you're trying to hold a stick, but you'd think after 4-5 weeks he could tape it up and bang pucks off the glass anyway.

Was not just a broken finger apparently
Defenseman Jonathan Ericsson (broken finger) might be further away from returning than Zetterberg.

"The broken finger isn’t the issue; the issue is that he had cartilage reattached," Holland said. "That’s supposed to be about six weeks (from surgery on March 19)."

MTU hockey

Mar 4, 2013
Colorado
Where'd you hear this? Unless of course you're assuming we'll be eliminated in Rd 1.

From what I've read he'll be back if we make it to Rd 2.

I never would have thought a player could be out for so long from a broken finger. It must have been pretty severe.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Cleary is a proven playoff warrior...10 points in 14 games last time.

Bertuzzi might wake in the playoffs aswell.

DatsDeking

Jun 25, 2013
This is probably a strange question, but how do you think Legwand feels about playing on the fourth line? I understand that we need players to play where they can do the best job possible but I always think about what the players are thinking as they move the lines.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad