Speculation: What should be our final roster assuming we are 100% healthy going into the playoffs?

Detroit Sports*

Z Dats mule
Gus leg alfie
Jurco sheahan Tatar
Helm Weiss miller

HC: Bert,cleary,Sammy,Anderson

Kron E
Deks KFQ
Smith Kindl

HC: lashoff

Howard
Monster

Thoughts?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
My personal preference would be:

Franzen-Zetterberg-Nyquist
Legwand-Datsyuk-Alfredsson
Tatar-Sheahan-Abdelkader
Miller-Helm-Glendening

Kronwall-Smith
Dekeyser-Ericsson
Lashoff-Quincey

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Franzen
Nyquist-Legwand-Alfie
Glendening-Helm-Abdelkader
Jurco-Sheahan-Tatar

Glendening has won me over if he's alongside Helm. Leaving Miller off was a tough choice, but Glendening can take his PK minutes and add a gritty element at even strength.

NyquistIsMyGod*

We won't be dude.. But:

Franzen-Datsyuk-Abdelkader
Nyquist-Legwand-Alfredsson
Jurco-Sheahan-Tatar
Miller-Glendening-Helm

Weiss isn't coming back. If he does, he won't earn a job as the #2 or #3C. He'd watch similar to Bert last year. Glendening has been too good on the fourth line to move.

Abby is the skater on the top line. Dats will need it.

Z won't be back.. if he does, think round 2.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
My personal preference would be:

Tatar-Sheahan-Abdelkader
Miller-Helm-Glendening

Kronwall-Smith
Dekeyser-Ericsson
Lashoff-Quincey

I like this.

As much as I like Z/D together, Franzen/Z/Nyquist was absolutely explosive. I'd love to find a way to get Jurco in there too. He's big, fast, and he throws his body around. He's got a bit of skill too.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
We won't be dude.. But:

Franzen-Datsyuk-Abdelkader
Nyquist-Legwand-Alfredsson
Jurco-Sheahan-Tatar
Miller-Glendening-Helm

Weiss isn't coming back. If he does, he won't earn a job as the #2 or #3C. He'd watch similar to Bert last year. Glendening has been too good on the fourth line to move.

Abby is the skater on the top line. Dats will need it.

Z won't be back.. if he does, think round 2.

Gator on the top line? Ugh. But with the guys you listed, I don't see any other choice. Rather Helm than Glendening in the middle though.

NyquistIsMyGod*

Gator on the top line? Ugh. But with the guys you listed, I don't see any other choice. Rather Helm than Glendening in the middle though.

Due to his skating.. I like the kid line together... Nyquist/Alfredsson spreads the offense.. Abdelkader is basically the skater for Dats/Mule.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
I think Jurco and Glendening should be in the line-up when fully healthy but I think 1 of them will be back in Grand Rapids

Fully healthy (which probably wont happen this season) I expect the lines to look something like this.

Datsyuk - Zetterberg - Alfredsson
Nyquist - Legwand - Franzen
Miller - Helm - Abdelkader
Tatar - Sheahan - Weiss

Bertuzzi, Cleary, Glendening, Andersson as scratches

Defence hasn't changed and probably won't this year.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I like this.

As much as I like Z/D together, Franzen/Z/Nyquist was absolutely explosive. I'd love to find a way to get Jurco in there too. He's big, fast, and he throws his body around. He's got a bit of skill too.

Could just do this then:

Tatar-Sheahan-Jurco
Abdelkader-Helm-Glendening

Only thing is, I get a little leery of both Tatar and Jurco at times. Neither guy is a two-way forward at all, and are prone to those costly turn-overs sometimes. Guy like Abby would give you some energy, reliability, and physical presence.

Really loved Abby, Tatar, and Helm together earlier this year.

ScottyBowman

Mar 10, 2003
Detroit
Visit site
I agree it's doubtful we'll see him again this year, but where'd you hear about him not being able to drive?

Thats a good question. I actually heard it this past week and I'm not sure if it was Ken Daniels or if it was on the Red Wings show on XYT but I did hear it though thats why I have my doubts he will be back even if we make the finals.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Do we really want Zetterberg back this year? Just give him the rest of the year off and be ready to go next year.

Detroit Sports*

I forgot about Gator. Man I am bummed about Z I thought he would be available come playoffs. Man he was so good last playoffs too, huge loss.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
I forgot about Gator. Man I am bummed about Z I thought he would be available come playoffs. Man he was so good last playoffs too, huge loss.

From the moment they announced he was having surgery and said he'd miss around 8 weeks it was clear he wouldn't just miss the regular season but that he'd at the earliest be back around the 2nd round.

That's even assuming he heals pretty quickly and gets back into game shape just as fast.

In all likelihood he won't be back until the conference finals at the earliest.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Do we really want Zetterberg back this year? Just give him the rest of the year off and be ready to go next year.

Hell yeah we want him back. The issue that was causing him pain has been corrected. It's not something he can re-injure per se. I'll bet he starts skating in the next couple weeks.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
From the moment they announced he was having surgery and said he'd miss around 8 weeks it was clear he wouldn't just miss the regular season but that he'd at the earliest be back around the 2nd round.

That's even assuming he heals pretty quickly and gets back into game shape just as fast.

In all likelihood he won't be back until the conference finals at the earliest.

Really? I always thought they said 6-8 weeks from the moment it was speculated and announced.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
Really? I always thought they said 6-8 weeks from the moment it was speculated and announced.

On the 21st of February they announced he would be out a minimum of 8 weeks

Story

They planned to re-evaluate him at that point which implies that he'll actually be out longer.

8 Weeks from the time of his surgery will land in the middle of April, likely near the end of the first round.

hot dog

Mar 20, 2013
We really have too many forwards. There's no way Jurco will be on this roster if we're fully healthy. I love what he might become, and he was honestly my favorite person on the kid line when healthy, but I just can't see them keeping him up. The fourth line is clearly here to stay (again, this is assuming fully healthy, which won't happen) - Helm, Glendening, and Miller all have Babs' trust in a shutdown role.

Nyquist, Franzen, Z, Dats, Alfie, Legwand, Abby, Tatar, Sheahan are all guaranteed spots fully healthy. There is still Weiss. That's thirteen guys I can't see us putting Jurco ahead of if everyone is healthy. Ignoring Bert and Cleary, and who knows what happens down that front the rest of this year. This also ignores Andersson. Don't know where he fits. I think Glendening has played his way above him on our depth chart, and don't really see what he offers beyond faceoffs.

That said, if everyone is 100%? I think they'd try Z and D together again but eventually split them up. Something like:

D - Z - Alfie
Franzen - Legwand - Nyquist
Tatar - Sheahan - Abby
Miller - Helm - Glendening

to begin, then we'd get cold offensively and roll something like:

Franzen - Z - Nyquist
Datsyuk - Legwand - Alfie
Tatar - Sheahan - Abby
Miller - Helm - Glendening

except we'd probably try Abby in a top six role pretty frequently. I dunno. Hard to gauge this team healthy because they really haven't been.

Last edited:

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Normally I think we are a better team with Pav and Z centering their own lines but since they'd both be coming back from long term injuries and center depth is solid I'd go...

Hank-Pav-Alfie
Mule-Leggy-Goose
Jurco-Sheahan-Tatar
Abby-Helm-Glenny

Kronwall-Smith
Ericsson-Dekeyser
Quincey-Lashoff

hot dog

Mar 20, 2013
"Going into the playoffs"... Z will not be back boys.

There's no chance we are "100% healthy" at all going into the playoffs. Disregarding any future injuries and/or losses we might sustain, at least a couple of Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Weiss, etc. probably won't be back. I took it as think of the team as 100% healthy going into the playoffs in some utopian world as opposed to what actually will happen.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
Normally I think we are a better team with Pav and Z centering their own lines but since they'd both be coming back from long term injuries and center depth is solid I'd go...

Hank-Pav-Alfie
Mule-Leggy-Goose
Jurco-Sheahan-Tatar
Abby-Helm-Glenny

Kronwall-Smith
Ericsson-Dekeyser
Quincey-Lashoff

This..

I think Glendening has earned a regular spot on this team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad