Speculation: What should be our final roster assuming we are 100% healthy going into the playoffs?

Chip39

Apr 19, 2013
He's been gettin prime scoring chances and a lot of ice time. I'm not so sure he sees it as the fourth line.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Babcock has indicated as much as he thinks we're a four line team, and the best for the game will play. If you look at ice times, being put on Glendening's line doesn't mean you won't play. But maybe less opportunities to score. I really think Legwand can bring scoring to the table though, and should be top9 no matter what.

I would like us to build our playoff lines around Datsyuk-Sheahan-Legwand-Helm. Glenny as a 4th line wing.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Babcock has indicated as much as he thinks we're a four line team, and the best for the game will play. If you look at ice times, being put on Glendening's line doesn't mean you won't play. But maybe less opportunities to score. I really think Legwand can bring scoring to the table though, and should be top9 no matter what.

I would like us to build our playoff lines around Datsyuk-Sheahan-Legwand-Helm. Glenny as a 4th line wing.

Legwand has been -9 since the trade. I am pretty sure Holland will pull a Quincey and sign him to a new deal to save face over the trade of Calle Jarnkrok. I have to admit to having some trepidation about Mule, Weiss, Legwand and Alfredsson. They could easily become our next Bert, Sammy and Clearys.

If the kids don't score odds are we lose.

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010
Babcock rightly returned to the old lines in the 3rd yesterday and saw an increase in efficiency.

At practice today, he was running the new, total **** lines once again. I'm so sick of this crap.

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010
Babcock has indicated as much as he thinks we're a four line team, and the best for the game will play.

That's a hoot. For the past three games, he has been rolling lines that don't work. And he's going to do it again tomorrow.

He seems intent on pushing these lines even to the point of losing games because of it. For the record, they've scored only two goals over the past three games. The other five all came on the PP or with other combos temporarily on the ice.

Last edited:

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
That's a hoot. For the past three games, he has been rolling lines that don't work. And he's going to do it again tomorrow.

He seems intent on pushing these lines even to the point of losing games because of it.

That's his biggest flaw IMO. He gets so set on his line ideas that he constantly goes to them regardless of what's happening. And then when he actually changes line, he's so impatient with them that before you know it he goes back to the same crap. He doesn't get lines a fair shake. He's always forcing his idea even if it doesn't work (Datsyuk/Abdelkader.) Heck, even look at out stubborn he was with Quincey/Smith. That was absolutely embarrassing to leave them together for so long. And surprise, surprise, the moment he finally decided to change them those two have been completely different players - for the better.

But this situation makes me maybe as upset as I've ever been with him, because he broke up lines that actually worked. Lines that are the reason why we're even still playing hockey next week.

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010
But this situation makes me maybe as upset as I've ever been with him, because he broke up lines that actually worked. Lines that are the reason why we're even still playing hockey next week.

It's upsetting me to the point that I don't want to watch the games. I don't know how to cope with his sudden, thoroughly baffling stupidity.

Mantha Poodoo

Playoff Beard
Jun 5, 2008
Legwand has been -9 since the trade.

Legwand has faced the 3rd highest quality of competition on the team (behind, surprise surprise, Dats and Z) and gets more defensive zone starts out of any forward except Miller and Andersson.

Basically, he's been saddled with the responsibility of being the #1 shutdown forward and still put up over .5 PPG. Legwand has been fine considering, at least until Dats came back, he's been playing above his role (because he was the best available option to do so).

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010
Super-solid lines (based on data...):

Nyquist - Datsyuk - Franzen
Jurco - Sheahan - Tatar
Alfredsson - Legwand - Abdelkader
Miller - Glendening - Helm

Switch Alfredsson and Franzen if necessary. Easy. Like, REALLY easy. Like, we all KNOW these lines will work already.

Or we can go with the following:

Franzen - Datsyuk - Abdelkader <--- puck-possession game neutered by the presence of Abdelkader
Nyquist - Sheahan - Tatar <--- hindered by lack of Jurco, who, with his gritty game and ability to create space, worked so well with the other two
Jurco - Helm - Alfredsson <--- totally lacking in chemistry; both Helm and Jurco are useless here
Miller - Glendening - Legwand <--- totally wastes Legwand, who plays far less well here than Helm does

Yay.

Last edited:

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida

Jurco - Sheahan - Tatar

Switch Alfredsson and Franzen if necessary. Easy. Like, REALLY easy. Like, we all KNOW these lines will work already.

Yup that's 4 solid lines, If Babcock would run those lines against Boston. We could definitely cause them fits.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Jurco - Sheahan - Tatar

I really like these lines.

I think Nyquist with Datsyuk and Franzen is a good idea, because that line needs someone to push the pace, and no one does that better than Nyquist in a skilled role.

2nd line has proven chemistry.

3rd line with both Legs and Abby would relentlessly forecheck, and grind down the Bruins pretty good.

4th line has 3 good skaters, and 3 great defensive forwards.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad