Post-Game Talk: What should be Hollands priority?

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Should we target a goalie like Gibson as proposed by Woodguy on Twitter?

Should we target a top pairing D-man? Supper hard to get and very expesnive.

Should we get a better 3C and maybe an additional bottom six winger?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
We need a goalie. The D are compensating by overplaying to the puck because they are fearful Koski will an adventure out of any shot. The forwards are compensating by playing as if they need 5 goals every night, and they aren't much wrong. What a depressing feeling that if you don't fill the net you aren't providing enough run support to a subpar starting goalie.

Lets stop burying D, and our mostly new incoming prospect D due to not filling the crucial hole. A lot about this teams confidence changes if it sees reliable goaltending.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Goalie. Gibson would be a pipe dream. I doubt Anaheim would move him which is to bad because he’s signed long term. Anaheim also probably sees themselves as competitive again in probably 2 years, at which point Gibson would still only be 29 and on a great contract.

I’d assume the ask would be one of Broberg or Bouchard and probably a first this year, likely Koskinen as well just to have something between the pipes.

Kuemper is a little more realistic and good target, though it seems like they are content to keep him and just lose Raanta this offseason
Raanta would probably be the best option, probably cheap ish as there’s only, realistically with quarentine, like 30 games he will be able to play this year, similar to a deadline rental price.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Issue is getting a goalie that's good means looking out of Canada which means, this season, waiting 1-2 weeks before they can even play.

Reactions: TB12

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007

Absolutely a goalie. Most nights you score four, you should be getting at minimum 1 point, if not both, not zero.

The first goal was eerily reminiscent of Draisaitl's goal on Hogberg. Bad positioning, too far left and gave Lindholm the whole right side to shoot at. The Dube goal somehow went through him, as did Bennett's, the latter he was looking behind the net still.

As I said in the rumor thread, I'd be looking at Korpisalo. But with Smith coming back, Holland is going to give him a chance to be the guy before he makes any kind of trades. Plus 14 day quarantine makes things dicey.

We could be stuck with these two.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
His priority should be cleaning out the front office then he can worry about what’s on the ice.
septic-tanks-pumping-abouut-us-image-1.jpg

Reactions: iCanada

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
What sort of guys would you target on defense? I've seen some names floated and am curious.

Lindholm?
Ekholm?
Ellis?
Demers?
Savard?

Would a guy like Pesce be obtainable? I feel like the sort of changes people are looking for are going to require some large deals from our end. Are we more willing to trade blue chips and firsts right now instead of waiting for this offseason?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
His priority should be cleaning out the front office then he can worry about what’s on the ice.

Stop hiding behind voodoo excuses. Go get a no.1 goalie and a top 3 D that can actually defend a beach ball.

It's not that complicated, the team just does not want to prioritize or pay the price to get it done.

You could have had Kuemper in the summer for a 1st round pick, the Oilers did not want to pull the trigger.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Defense. Goalies are too hot/cold and variable from year to year. There are maybe 5-7 guys in the entire league that are consistently good from year to year. A real top-pairing dman needs to be the priority, just like it should have been last year, and the year before, and the year before, and the year before.

Everybody is going to say "but we have Bouchard, Broberg, Lagesson, Bear, Jones, and Samorukov all coming down the pipeline". Yes, and not one of them is going to be a top-pairing dman. If you can trade Broberg + something to get back a top-pairing guy, you do that in a heartbeat. Additionally, other than maybe Bear, all those players are 2-3 years away from moving the needle and not needing sheltering at even strength. Our window to win is the next 5 years until 29's contract is over, full stop. Waiting, and praying, for one of those guys to magically turn into a top-pairing guy in 3 years isn't a plan, its a prayer to the hockey gods.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Stop hiding behind voodoo excuses. Go get a no.1 goalie and a top 3 D that can actually defend a beach ball.

It's not that complicated, the team just does not want to prioritize or pay the price to get it done.

You could have had Kuemper in the summer for a 1st round pick, the Oilers did not want to pull the trigger.

Would you trade Holloway for Kuemper right now? That is what it would have cost, relatively anyhow. I likely would, but I'm just curious on other people's thoughts about it.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Would you trade Holloway for Kuemper right now? That is what it would have cost, relatively anyhow. I likely would, but I'm just curious on other people's thoughts about it.

I would offer them 2021 1st + Benson or Jones. But you still likely need to make a big trade after that for a D too, so that is where you might have to give a Holloway or Broberg or Bouchard up.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

I agree with what you’re saying but there are too many people past their expiration date feeding him crappy info. We have some of the worst pro scouts around.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton

They need to do all 3.

Traditional wisdom would say they go from the net out.

Reactions: Proko88

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
Defense. Goalies are too hot/cold and variable from year to year. There are maybe 5-7 guys in the entire league that are consistently good from year to year. A real top-pairing dman needs to be the priority, just like it should have been last year, and the year before, and the year before, and the year before.

Everybody is going to say "but we have Bouchard, Broberg, Lagesson, Bear, Jones, and Samorukov all coming down the pipeline". Yes, and not one of them is going to be a top-pairing dman. If you can trade Broberg + something to get back a top-pairing guy, you do that in a heartbeat. Additionally, other than maybe Bear, all those players are 2-3 years away from moving the needle and not needing sheltering at even strength. Our window to win is the next 5 years until 29's contract is over, full stop. Waiting, and praying, for one of those guys to magically turn into a top-pairing guy in 3 years isn't a plan, its a prayer to the hockey gods.
So the window to win is 5 years, I can agree. So who’s in net?

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
1st + Broberg + for Ekholm?

1st + Holloway?

I saw a huge deal with Anaheim proposed a few days ago for Lindholm + Rakell.

2020 1st + Broberg + Lavoie + Larsson + ?

Last edited:
Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad