What Should be done with the Power Play?

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
they need to work the puck down low. we spend so much time working the puck around the umbrella to get Matthews or Marner the shot. we essentially play a 5v4 PP with only Matthews Marner and Reilly. Whoever is in front of the net needs to move away from the net every now and again and present a passing option below the goal line. Petty easy to defend the umbrella when thats the only movement you have. Matthews and marner get pinned on the walls, and the default play is to sauce it back to the point. The shot never comes in, and any advantage of having a PK'er out on the wall goes for not, because the point guy either waits for that player to get back open, or they play it to the other wall. The bumper and Net front guy need to present themselves as a passing option. Because right now, they are not. Thats what I am seeing at least

add: on our first PP last night I believe JT had a grade-A look that we don't see enough of. Puck moved down low, one touch pass to the bumper (JT), and JT whiffed it. More shit like that just opens everything up. Right now we are way too predictable

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Marner downlow playing catch with Matthews on the left side, Nylander taking the entries would be my big changes.

Marner and Rielly are causing a lot of the issues that I see lately. Some of that is being in spots that force them out of their comfort Zone.

Marners at his best on the PP in his current spot with 3 downlow options and a point outlet (side net dump, mid tip, back door). Right now he has the high top and not much else.

Reactions: MapleLeafs77

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Load it up, quite spreading it out. The PP is one thing coaching staffs obsess over and micro manage, because it something the can really control. Keefe just needs to ride his horses and if we lose the zone at the minute mark, screw putting out this dog pile of different players every three game that barely can keep the blue line never mind threaten. Marner, Matthews, JT, Nylander and Reilly. And shoot from the point more, Willie and JT have shown they can pick up garbage in front. Simplify, studs and pucks at the net. Leave it alone.

Reactions: Oscar Peterson

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I really like Malhotra as a person, but this PP is hugely underperforming, and he doesn’t have much experience as a PP coach. Step 1 is replacing him.

Other than that, I’d like to see a loaded top PP - our 4 best forwards, and a D with a good point shot. Something like:

PP1 (~1:30)
Tavares
Marner - Nylander - Matthews
Muzzin

PP2 (~0:30)
Hyman
Kerfoot - Spezza - Mikheyev
Rielly

Also, less predictable zone entries. Right now PP1 is always Rielly skating it to centre, but never further, and always dropping it back to Marner or Matthews for the entry. Instead I’d have Marner/Nylander/Matthews take it up, and sometimes actually push the pace and take it straight in without the drop pass, make it more unpredictable.

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
start practicing at least 2 different systems , on top of the current one , at least one of those being 2 D that can drop actual bombs , nothing opens up the passing lanes better than the pk getting hit with a rocket , those 2 never drift lower than the top of the circle and never cross each other , total containment with 3 forwards cycling around the net like a spinning triangle .

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
Greater focus on getting the puck down low. We try to run everything from the point - which is not our strength.

Last edited:
Reactions: 67leafs

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
PP#1
Hyman
Matthews-Galchenyuk-Marner
Rielly

PP#2
Simmonds
Nylander-Tavares-Spezza
Brodie

Get Marner off of the point, he's bad at it. Move Matthews back to the other side. Use Galchenyuk. Perhaps replace Hyman with Thornton at times if Thornton is playing well for the superior passing element.

Was thinking something like this... break them up... give teams 2 powerplay units to scheme against.

The pp1 unit will continue to try for the "pretty" goals -- subbing Galchenyuk for Tavares isn't going to change that. Set up PP#2 to be built to put pucks on net and crash the crease for rebounds.

I might consider Muzzin on the 2nd unit rather than Brodie though.

LeafsGuy16

LeafsGuy16
Sep 4, 2018
It’s been the same shit since Babcock. The power play is slow and predictable with poor usage decisions. JT is the second best shooter on the unit and plays the bumper where he doesn’t touch the puck?

They play up high so much with only three players that they take away the one advantage the power play should give you - an open man.

Zero creativity and intensity. Set plays are nice to try once and a while, but you have an extra f***ing man, they aren’t always necessary. Move the puck quickly and create openings and havoc for the PKers.

Marner and Rielly take so long to move the puck the entire box is in position before they do anything.

It’s just shit - no idea how to fix it. End rant.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
More player movement in the zone.

In order to create seams and lanes, something must occur to move a PKer out of position.

Standing basically still while playing catch with the puck is too easy to defend. The PK just collapses back and closes off the cross seam passes with ease.

Reactions: Gallagbi

67leafs

Oct 17, 2019
First of all Reilly shouldn’t be on it, he has no shot and can’t hit the net.
I like mathews, marner, nylander , JT and Holl or Dermott for a try.

Reactions: LeafsRus

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
Load it up. Nylander and matthews are the shooters. Marner below the goal line to pass out. Tavares in front of net.

Nylander enter the zone. Try to get matthews the shot. Rielly has zero shot and could be replaced. Marner shooting is not much better

Reactions: 67leafs

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Put muzzin on top PP to have a point shot threat. Shots always coming from Matthews is easy to defend. Matthews is good but he isn't Ovi.

Also stop Putting Nylander as a bumper on the 2nd PP unit it is a waste of his talent; use Jumbo/Galchenyuk there and put Nylander on the left wall.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
The zone entry stuff seems like a distraction, if you watch the PP we have no problem getting set up whatsoever. Total non issue. It’s what we do when set up, not getting there.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Put muzzin on top PP to have a point shot threat. Shots always coming from Matthews is easy to defend. Matthews is good but he isn't Ovi.

Also stop Putting Nylander as a bumper on the 2nd PP unit it is a waste of his talent; use Jumbo/Galchenyuk there and put Nylander on the left wall.

I agree that Muzzin should have a more prominent role on the PP. I think it was his first or second game when he rocketed one into the net from the point and the Leaf hometown crowd went wild. May have even been on the PP, I'm too lazy to google it but I know he scored.

A rifle from the point from time to time is important, but, I'm also fine with a one timer wrist shot that gets through. Release time is key, especially on the PP when the other team is apt to collapse but are forced to follow the puck. As always, situational awareness. Is there a screen and/or potential rebound vulture(s) if the shot get through? Are they blocking most shots and thus the half second wind-up is just providing them more time to get in the lane? Get it off, clean up the garbage or obtain possession and re-cycle

I'd also say I'm noticing the Leafs seemed to have lost their crisp passing. Quick, accurate passing causes the most trouble because the one timer is coming at some point, they just don't know from whom (if every man is in the mindset that they have the green light to shoot if its the best option).

It takes confidence and belief. Don't be more hesitant due to the failing PP, remain sure of yourself and your teammates. "Hell, we are tops in the division, let's get this done". Nevermind the fact it hasn't been working of late, you try and get it done every time, any way necessary. It doesn't have to be cute. No need to overload, just find your range and adapt based on the defenses look. From there it's instincts and hockey sense.

How many times do you watch a play and you can see where the goal is going to come from even before it fully unfolds? The reason is, we've watched enough hockey, and, we have a major advantage of having a birds eye view of the ice and player distance to observe the best option. The best players have the ability to see the play unfold from ice level, and sure enough, it's in the back of the net. They just have to choose the best option from A, B or C.

Reactions: PromisedLand

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Two PP units with different looks.

Specifically one with Muzzin on the point hitting bangers

Tavares
Marner Matthews Nylander
Rielly

2. Simmonds Thornton
Galchenyuk
Muzzin - Dermott

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Was thinking something like this... break them up... give teams 2 powerplay units to scheme against.

The pp1 unit will continue to try for the "pretty" goals -- subbing Galchenyuk for Tavares isn't going to change that. Set up PP#2 to be built to put pucks on net and crash the crease for rebounds.

I might consider Muzzin on the 2nd unit rather than Brodie though.
I was thinking my biggest improvement was getting Marner back where he belongs along the right side boards. I know Matthews probably prefers that spot over the left side, but seeing Marner play deeper, it hasn't worked at all.

I can see the argument for Muzzin, but he's so damn slow that it makes me nervous about shorthanded goals.

D00bis

Jan 15, 2019
Shoot the puck comes to mind. Too many cute passes that miss the mark half the time. They need to simplify.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Put Marner in the bumper spot in the middle of the ice, bring Nylander in on the other half wall as a more legitimate shooter, and let Marner use his elite creativity in the middle of the ice.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Get pucks to the net and crash it to create chaos. Need to score dirty and not just cutesy goals.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Get pucks to the net and crash it to create chaos. Need to score dirty and not just cutesy goals.

This has been a problem for this team for a couple of years now outside the PP. It's why they seem to lose confidence when the playoffs become the predictable shutdown game and they can't adapt.

Guys like Hyman and Simmonds can bring this, and they need to. I also believe Galchenyuk has it in him.

I suppose it s a balance as they want to be healthy for the playoffs. Who knows how the CJB series unfolds if Muzzin had remained healthy?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad