What Should be done with the Power Play?

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
I think the elephant in the room is big enough for the PP to have its own thread. Does our young PP coach know what the hell he is doing???

We have a PP coach who is known for his defensive attention to detail. Can he coach a NHL PP?
His power play MO is to have 2 pp units.
IMO this is not coaching to your roster. If the Leafs had a bunch of similar forwards going 2 units makes sense.
The way our personel is assembled we are super top heavy with SUPER offensively talented forwards.

There is no question in my mind the team should revert back to the proven top 5 in Matthews, Tavares, Willy, Mitch, and Morgan. And roll them hard. It is insanity sharing minutes with lesser players when we have the offensive firepower we do. To the point that Boyd would get PP1 minutes with Willy rotting on the bench. The only experiment I might try is getting Muzz the odd look at PP1 and his heavy shot from the point.

I originally loved the Simmonds net front presence on the PP. Watching carefully last night the puck found Simmonds twice on the PP before he got set up in his house, and both times he turned it over.

Our PP2 can still be effective with Spezza, Jumbo, Simmonds, Galchenyuk/Hyman, Muzz.

With all the amateur coaches on this site I am certain we can fix this thing :)

Reactions: Jeypic

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
The roster makeup definitely lends itself to stacking the first PP unit IMO. I'm not sure if the lulls are always related to the personnel though when they occur.

Reactions: The Iceman

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Rielly needs to stop quarterbacking it for 1. Guy can't shoot if his life depends on it.

In order to quarterback the PP you need a proper point shot that'll keep goalies and defenseman honest

This is exactly it other teams knows our tendencies and know shooter always going be Matthews or Nylander. So they collapse front of the net

Reactions: LeafsRus and mcleex

Optimist

Wendel and I
Feb 16, 2015
Ontario Canada
Rielly needs to stop quarterbacking it for 1. Guy can't shoot if his life depends on it.

In order to quarterback the PP you need a proper point shot that'll keep goalies and defenseman honest

This. Or even keep Rielly entirely off of the pp. I'm tired of his weak wristers into traffic that almost always result in a turnover.

Reactions: LeafsRus and mcleex

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
Two different looking units to screw up the opposition game planning.

Spezza Tavares Galchenyuk
Rielly Nylander

Simmonds Thornton Matthews
Muzzin Marner

Playmaker, shooter, netfront presence up front. Shooter and playmaker on the back end.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Get bodies in front of the net, shoot the damn puck. So much over passing the last few games. I'd like to get Simmonds in front of the net again, he was huge for us early on this year on the PP.

Reactions: LeafsRus and bax

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
Nothing much.

Seriously, our guys are talented, our power play was so amazing beforehand that we still have a top 3 in the league after this crazy slump . . . and it's just a combination of things really that you can't always control completely, one of them being chance, another being the goalies you're playing.

Keep plugging away, and the goals will come.
Same thing I would have said to Matthews when he didn't score for like 5 games.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
PP#1
Hyman
Matthews-Galchenyuk-Marner
Rielly

PP#2
Simmonds
Nylander-Tavares-Spezza
Brodie

Get Marner off of the point, he's bad at it. Move Matthews back to the other side. Use Galchenyuk. Perhaps replace Hyman with Thornton at times if Thornton is playing well for the superior passing element.

Reactions: Captain14

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Split up Matthews and Marner. Seems their pp is becoming too predictable. Give more time to the unit that is going.

Hyman-Tavares-Galchenyuk
Rielly-Marner

Nylander-Matthews-Thornton
Brodie-Spezza

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Nothing much.

Seriously, our guys are talented, our power play was so amazing beforehand that we still have a top 3 in the league after this crazy slump . . . and it's just a combination of things really that you can't always control completely, one of them being chance, another being the goalies you're playing.

Keep plugging away, and the goals will come.
Same thing I would have said to Matthews when he didn't score for like 5 games.

PP 8th now.
.1 away from 10th
And definetly trending the wrong direction

Reactions: LeafsRus and slozo

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
PP 8th now.
.1 away from 10th
And definetly trending the wrong direction

Ah, fair enough, right you are . . . we're in 8th, .1 percentage points away from 7th :laugh:

But trending is incorrect - it's a straight up slump, that's it.
Trending would mean it's a slower and more gradual decline, as opposed to a sudden, 2 week slump.

But maybe we're .1 goals away from getting out of it :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad