What say you on the 2013/14 Vancouver Canucks' team "IDENTITY?"

mrbitterguy

Sep 24, 2010
san francisco
i'm not a fan of the identity. the biggest biggest identifying feature of the team is that they're unskilled. yeah they play harder on the puck and block some more shots but they still get their ass handed to them in front of the net at both ends.the thing i notice too is that even when they're trying to be tough they still don't take the body on the forecheck consistently. they're mostly small guys trying to be tough and that takes way too much energy to work for long.

ionicbluebird

Apr 18, 2012
As far as I'm concerned, far from what their identity should be.. speed and skill. circa 2011... I mean, yes, I know.. some toughness and size thrown in isn't the worst, but it should not be the primary identifier.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I agree, this is a team that sticks up for each other. Sometimes they border on undisciplined, but the message has been sent. This is not a team that is going to get pushed around. All this 'we need elite scorers, blow the core up' talk is off base. Elite scorers often don't translate regular season success to playoff scoring anyway. We may not be a lights-out regular season team, but then again neither were the 2012 Kings. As long as we are tough to play against, and good in our own end and on the PK, the rest will take care of itself.

Ah, the 2012 Kings. The statistical anomaly that provides all Canuck fans that glimmer of hope in the possibility of a rags-to-riches season despite the obvious but terrifying writing on the wall. Warms my heart it does!

Virtanen2Horvat

BoHorvat53
Nov 29, 2011
Vancouver
Gritty, low scoring. Struggling team. Low on scorers.

We need a sniper on the second line and we can trade Kesler. Then if Schroeder can step up to the task let him take 2C and if not and Horvat is ready put him there. I hope the Sedins can step it up and score more. Hope Burrows can get something going.

Example team.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
E.Kane-Schroeder-Kassian
Higgins-Horvat-Hansen
Weise-Santorelli-Richardson (I think Lain can play wing)

Hamhuis-Tanev
Edler-Corrado
Stanton-Garrison

Luongo
Lack

Kesler + ? for E.Kane

Bieksa + 3rd for Promising prospect (1st line)

This is just an example of something I would like.

1st line:

Hope they can get going again. We could trade Burrows but it might hurt the first line and the Sedins are pretty much stuck here.

2nd line:

We have Evander Kane with a shot and can help bring some offense and is a better option than Higgins there. Schroeder plays well with Kassian from what I saw against Edmonton and I hope they can keep it up. There we have is a line with some youth and experience.

3rd line:

The third line. Higgins can produce still but I prefer him as a third line winger. Him and Hansen have great chemistry together and they form a grinding third line that would be good and get some points on the board. We can also bring in that two way player Bo Horvat and his two way play can help that line out. I would like to get him on top six minutes preferably but it depends on him and Schroeder.

4th line:

We got Weise who brings energy and is just that 4th liner and I hope he can bring a little more. Then we have Santorelli with a great face off percentage and can help that line, not that I am saying Richardson is a bad faceoff man. These three will bring speed and energy in the 4th line. Sestito slows it down but he would be good to keep around for certain situations. Don't forget we have Lain as well which I think he made the 4th line look good sometimes.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Not a revelation: Canucks have needed a 2nd line sniper for the last few years, basically since Samuelsson became garbage and was moved.

Old problem used to be the 3rd/4th line depth was awful. Now I actually really like it but the top lines are a mess.

Goaltending and defense is about the same but the "core" isn't getting any younger...

Changes probably should be drastic coming up but they might wait and try to make one big push next year which wouldn't surprise me.

Still need a damn sniper though.

Gillis really needs to make a big trade at some point, maybe offseason. He has just been brutal at them so far (other than the Ehrhoff deal).

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Have a look at the teams that have been successful in the playoffs in recent years. They have been good skating, deep, defensively responsible teams with lots of grit throughout the lineup. 2 of the last 3 cup winners have had offensive talent at the top that is committed to defense, and have sacrificed offensive output for the sake of playing a system.

A healthy Canucks team is not far off of that model, particularly if they can pick up a solid rental who's hard on the forecheck and can get some dirty goals in front of the net.

If Schneider continues to play well, the Canucks will be more than fine once they get their first and second-line centers back and as Burrows continues to round into form. He looked very good last night, IMO, like the old Burrows we all love. And yes, I think Santorelli is a bona fide second liner - in fact, I think his absence has been the single biggest contributor to the Canucks recent slide. Along with Kesler he is the engine of this team.

It's no sure thing, but when I look at the Canucks line-up, with the rise of Kassian, return of Burrows, continuing strong play of Kesler, and return of the top-two centers, I see no reason to be particularly pessimistic. They could be a solid playoff team with these pieces. They are going through a rough stretch, and given the personnel problems they've faced, it's completely understandable. They'll be alright.

Good post. I do think the Canucks lack enough premiere offensive talent to really forge the identity you're describing, but I do think that's the identity they're moving towards. The roster is too thin and the injuries have really tossed a wrench into the machinery. I don't get the sense this team is aimlessly adrift as it's been portrayed by Vancouver media.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Team just doesn't have enough horses to make it through. The Sedin's look old. Heck, a lot of the Canuck core players look old. I hope GMMG doesn't do something silly and trade away one of our top prospects. It has been years since we had such exciting prospects in the system. I fear the Canucks time has come and gone and we are seeing the end of an era. It was a great ride and we were spoiled at times but I think it is all coming to an end. The changes that need to be made are ones that should be done during offseason, not before a trade deadline. Just my opinion though.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
The Canucks were a middling-to-good possession team to start the year. When Burrows returned from injury, they were an elite 55% CF team for 17 games. I think I read the other day that someone (Travis Yost?) had the Canucks score-adjusted Fenwick close at 19th in the league (49.2%) since the start of December (when Burrows was injured).

The team is just very thin. The issues aren't so much the players the team has as it's the players the team doesn't have. This was pretty obvious when the 4th line was playing fewer minutes than any 4th line in the NHL. That's where the cap being reduced really has hurt this team, but those are the breaks.

The team needs a couple Top 6 forwards and we're back as an elite squad -- easier said than done, to be sure. Right now the team is too dependent on staying healthy, something that rarely happens. When Burrows is gone, there's no logical fit on the first line and the domino effect seems to be hard to overcome.

The identity is okay, but it's superficial.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
The team needs a couple Top 6 forwards and we're back as an elite squad -- easier said than done, to be sure.

I think the Canucks are a good team but I'm not so sure a couple additions take them into elite status. Though I attribute that to just how ridiculously strong the top 3 in the West are.

To get to that high level, the PP needs to get into the top 10 IMO. I'm not sure that happens without adding a Dustin Byfuglien type on the backend...

With all that said, I do think this team could make some noise in the playoffs if the top end of the roster is healthy. They're an excellent defensive club with good goaltending. In a 4-7 game sample, sometimes that's all you need.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
I think the Canucks are a good team but I'm not so sure a couple additions take them into elite status. Though I attribute that to just how ridiculously strong the top 3 in the West are.

To get to that high level, the PP needs to get into the top 10 IMO. I'm not sure that happens without adding a Dustin Byfuglien type on the backend...

With all that said, I do think this team could make some noise in the playoffs if the top end of the roster is healthy. They're an excellent defensive club with good goaltending. In a 4-7 game sample, sometimes that's all you need.

Hey, as I've said, move Edler/Hansen and you have 22+ million, minus whoever you traded for. They could bring everyone back and still have another 6-9 million to toss at a free agent.

If the Canucks add another right-handed forward, I think the power play can get back into that range.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
The Canucks need a new slogan. I'm voting for "I'm all 'bout dat action, boss."

Outside99*

How about "We're not afraid of any team, we're afraid of our coach." :)

All kidding aside, I've been trying to figure out how we generate offence because all the forwards are so low they've no way to counterattack*, they don't even dump and chase they dump and change. Can someone educate here?

And honestly, its great that the team is pushing back but I strongly feel Torts (And Sully) can't stand mistakes, and berates the players when they make them so guess what, now they're all afraid to make mistakes**, no risks are taken and few goals are scored. Its even apparent on the PP.

* except Higgins, seems like he didn't get the memo, always sneaking behind the D
** except Kass, didn't get that part of the memo

Betamax*

Yeah, you are your record ... are you not?

The Canucks are 27 wins - 27 losses (folding in OTL/SOL) ... a .500 team. I think I remember Pat Quinn saying something to that effect that .500 is "good", so I won't argue that a .500 record isn't "good" ...

3 dressed up as a 9

I'd say they are a 6.5-7 but with some cosmetic surgery (i.e. impact trade) can move up to an 8 and be in contention.

Bertie

Jan 20, 2013
Torts is doing a good job with what Gillis has left him with.

The lack of scoring has plagued Vancouver for years now (before Torts and why AV is gone) and Gillis sits back and says its part of the process repeatedly.

Team still lacks consistency and a sense of urgency far too often.

The core needs serious changes.

Stale like a dirty diaper.

Agree with this.

There is only so much a coach can do. Especially given the injuries we have had. This malaise could go deeper though.

What I mean is are these players really cut out to be a Torts type of team? I get the feeling players like the Sedins, Kesler etc are being asked to do too much at the wrong end of the ice, now they look jaded every second game.

I still wonder where we might be if Gillis had gone a season and a half ago and we had brought in a more pro active GM. We could easily have moved Gillis upstairs if the owners wanted to stay friends.
This all saddens me when I think of how close we were in 2011. Other teams re-arm and keep going, like Boston, Chicago the Pens and Philly (sort of) but we just let the air flow out of our tyres while still flogging the good players to death.

Dissonance

Feb 27, 2002
Cabbage Patch
Visit site
The Canucks are 27 wins - 27 losses (folding in OTL/SOL) ... a .500 team. I think I remember Pat Quinn saying something to that effect that .500 is "good", so I won't argue that a .500 record isn't "good" ...

Well we were a .500 team the year Pat Quinn took us within a game of the Stanley Cup. Sometimes "good" is pretty good!

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Hey, as I've said, move Edler/Hansen and you have 22+ million, minus whoever you traded for. They could bring everyone back and still have another 6-9 million to toss at a free agent.

If the Canucks add another right-handed forward, I think the power play can get back into that range.

I'm against trading Hansen but I do feel Edler is grossly overpaid. Most of us know how we all stand on Edler so I'm not looking for a debate, but he is a guy who should be moved and one I'm hoping is.

Betamax*

Well we were a .500 team the year Pat Quinn took us within a game of the Stanley Cup. Sometimes "good" is pretty good!

You know, the one big difference is the average age of the core players on that roster was several years younger than what we have with this year's edition of the Canucks.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
I'm against trading Hansen but I do feel Edler is grossly overpaid. Most of us know how we all stand on Edler so I'm not looking for a debate, but he is a guy who should be moved and one I'm hoping is.

Edler is under-performing, not over-payed. I do think there is a very distinct difference.

I do agree though that one of our big defensemen need to be traded for offensive help. Edler would net the biggest return so naturally he is included in a lot of proposals.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
Torts is doing a good job with what Gillis has left him with.

The lack of scoring has plagued Vancouver for years now (before Torts and why AV is gone) and Gillis sits back and says its part of the process repeatedly.

Team still lacks consistency and a sense of urgency far too often.

The core needs serious changes.

Stale like a dirty diaper.

Pretty much this and a further decline is more likely, unless some of the prospects step it up really fast, especially the forwards, secondary scoring has been an issue for soooo long here and the team lacks push back when it matters most.

TheLastSedin

Sep 18, 2010
Winnipeg, MB
Identity of the Franchise or the team?

Team Identity: Pony with a few tricks

-Ageing core with some bright spots among prospects.
-Sedin line play a possession style of play (detroit-esque), but our exciting mobile offensive-defencemen and two way forwards allows for faster north-south style of play.
-Lacks size and shutdown ability on the bottom 6, and is in dire need of reliable scoring threats on the top 6. Mobile defence can get too offensive and forgets the defense part.

Identiy as a franchise... :naughty: Warning this may sound super negative image through text, but if you saw the smile on my face as I write this you would know I love this team. I'm just calling a spade a spade.

Franchise Identity: Canada's Annoying Younger Brother of a Franchise

-Hard act to follow. The Franchise wants to be a grown up respected Canadian market, but lacks the history to back it up. They have gone so long trying to imitate winning hockey franchises, yet could never figure out why they haven't won. They are always good, just never good enough.

- Stuck in the past. We celebrate their almost winning the cups, nothing to be proud of in my opinion. Stop retiring players who wouldn't touch the rafters on any other team. I'm glad they introduced the ring of honour, but these guys aren't winners.

- We are punks on the ice. We don't take responsibility for our selves. Yes, leave it to the refs to decide and then we complain about officiating shamelessly. (seriously, rip down that towel statue). We dive, we bite, we scratch, pull hair, late hit, low bridge, speak french, we built a reputation because we don't win.

- Not focused on what matters. We are being fleeced by management and their snake oil fixes. The franchise talks about putting out the best "product" on the ice, but they spends money on looking flashy rather than acquiring or developing better players. Drop the tacky LED upgrades to boards, hologram-esque banners from the Olympic games. Get the AHL affiliate pumping out grinders so we can focus on getting that top 6 scoring threat. I'm still waiting for our Patrick Kane our our Jeff Carter.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009

A couple additions would make them an elite squad?

Only if the additions were gretzky ansd lemieux and they came with a time machine

Betamax*

Heard the question floated around several times on the local sports talk shows. They had a tough time (as have I) in attempting to define what the Canucks' "IDENTITY" currently is we just past halfway into the 2013/14 season under Coach Torts'.

I remember Coach Torts talked before the season ago, about re-imagining this team that brought qualities such as "Bite", "Stiffness" and increased compete level -- how far do you think he's come in establishing these attributes to the current team?

You know I been thinking about this ... I mean in what other context do you see anyone make references to words like "Bite" and "Stiffness."

I'm sadly coming around the idea that the Canucks are a middle-aged team suffering from "Erectile Dysfunction" (ED) in a metaphoric sense if that's the word to used here.

You know, Coach Torts' was brought in to be kinda like the blue pill and increase the "Stiffness" of the team and it has worked at times but more often than not they have uh, kinda looked "limp" and not have "lasting power."

This is clearly been demonstrated by their inability to hold leads throughout the season. In the past, when the team held a lead, it was literally, "Game over man!" ... not so much anymore. :(

BTW, tell me I'm wrong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad