What say you on the 2013/14 Vancouver Canucks' team "IDENTITY?"

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
needing a change, used to be great regular season lousy in playoffs, ie San Jose north but now it should be obvious this core group won't win us a SC and they are all losing trade value as well.

Hi-wayman

Feb 28, 2002
Surrey
Visit site
Torts is doing a good job with what Gillis has left him with.

The lack of scoring has plagued Vancouver for years now (before Torts and why AV is gone) and Gillis sits back and says its part of the process repeatedly.

Team still lacks consistency and a sense of urgency far too often.

The core needs serious changes.

Stale like a dirty diaper.

No, Torts is not doing a good job. Not with what Gillis has provided him with this season and not what AV left him from his tenure.

I think we were all enthusiastic over the idea of adding grit, enthusiasm and urgency to the team, but Torts hasn't tried to add grit, enthusiasm and urgency to what we had. He has instead attempted to completely remold each of the players he inherited into players who can play the style that suits his type of team rather than modifying his coaching style to suit the skill sets of the players he inherited.

No wonder the team lacks consistency or scoring. Most of the team is being asked to change how they have played since they entered the NHL. Asked to modify or stop using the skill sets that got them into the NHL in the first place. Players aren't playing instinctively. In many cases they are not sure just what will please the coach. Not only does this disrupt how the team plays, it opens up the team to greater chance of injury.

Right from the start, Torts stated his job was to push the players to be better, to cause them to change, to include duties they were not asked to do before. Torts has not tried to modify or adapt the team he wants in order to capitalize on the skills of the players he has. The team has tried to play the new style Torts has asked of them, but it has been at a cost of seriously affecting our top skilled players their game.

Additionally, Torts admitted he had no experience with the extra travel the western teams have to endure. He has not adjusted. He has overworked our better players. Our team is exhausted right now. Thank goodness for the Olympic break.

Gillis has done a good job in finding bottom 9 replacements though now we need another goal scorer (we started the season with lots of goal scorers - Sedins, Burrows, Kesler, Santorelli, Hansen, Higgins). I'm satisfied with the job Gillis has been doing, but though I like Torts, I think it's time to cut losses and get a new head coach as quick as possible.

Last edited:

Betamax*

Team identity: Windows Vista.

Obsolete and irritating to deal with.

Hehe ... at least Windows evolved to 7 and then now to 8.1.

I think maybe the Canucks could be closer to Blackberry.

Once on top of the food chain, but has been usuped and now can't really find any buyers or believers in their stock or company.

:shakehead

Virtanen2Horvat

BoHorvat53
Nov 29, 2011
Vancouver
They have gone from successful to a struggling beat up fragile team. Next year I think we will make the playoffs. But I hope we can get a top 5 in this draft and get Bennett or something. Plus trading options will be easier because we can trade with the Islanders or Panthers if we want top 4.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
The problem with the tank strategy is that it makes the Canucks an unattractive destination for UFA's. Trading a bunch of vets that took discounts to secure their NTC's would make it more unattractive. Look at the problems Edmonton has had just signing a reliable D-man or goaltender. It's just too big a risk to take to maybe get McDavid. This is a cap team, and they are going to do their best to retain their vets. Tanking is for failing markets.

Thank you for this post, because it actually talks some sense and is grounded in what is actually happening, and the sort of hockey market that Vancouver is. All of the people yelling for the team to tank don't seem to have even a tiny grasp on reality. It's like some fantasy world, or something.

carolinacanuck

Apr 5, 2007
The Carolinas
Yahoo!

Once a dominant force on the inet....

And now, despite a shiny new CEO/coach, the slide towards mediocrity seems inevitable. In fact, it may have already happened.

Things could be worse tho. They could be AOL or MySpace.

torlev*

Hey, as I've said, move Edler/Hansen and you have 22+ million, minus whoever you traded for. They could bring everyone back and still have another 6-9 million to toss at a free agent.

If the Canucks add another right-handed forward, I think the power play can get back into that range.

Hmm, where do you get those numbers? Capgeek says we are projected to have 11mil room, with 16 signed. Edler and hansen out is 7.5. So 18.5 mil. Less a 5 mil player in is 13.5m in room for 8 players. One 6mil player leaves 1m per player for the rest of the roster, including signing tanev. A 9m player leaves 4.5m for 7 players. League minimum across the board. I can't see that as feasible at all.

mooped*

Yahoo!

Once a dominant force on the inet....

And now, despite a shiny new CEO/coach, the slide towards mediocrity seems inevitable. In fact, it may have already happened.

Things could be worse tho. They could be AOL or MySpace.

Yeah, at least they still have good sports fantasy pools.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad