Speculation: What Role is the Centenial Anniverary Likely to Have on the Direction of the Team?

AustonMitchWilly

Jul 3, 2013
They have tons of time to turn the team around if they sell the farm this year. Lots of free agents available + Connor McDavid + Stammer +++

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
If the ultimatum from above is being competitive in 2017 then I can see that factoring into decisions today.

Hypothetical Kessel trade.

Option A:

A current cup contender offers their 1st (25-30th overall pick) this year and their 1st next year 2016 for Kessel that might be what a rebuilding team needs and wants. That 2015 pick being a player like Freddy Gauthier level a few years away due to being a late 1st.

Option B:
However with the pressure to compete in 2017 that might mean Leafs are looking for warm bodies back now .. ie Kessel traded in a deal that brings Ryan O'Reilly + prospect etc in return.

While option A might be best for a draft rebuild, option B would be better to ice name players in 2017 and more likely the option ownership would want in the centennial year.

Option A. This years draft features players with higher quality in the top 30. Players like Daniel Sprong/Travis Dermott etc.
Not to mention adding potential players from the Kessel deal like Fiala (who will be 20 by then) a defenseman like Ekholm, plus a current roster player like Smith.
Option B, the fast track has always backfired on us.
Want to do something different for the 100th anniversary? Stop doing what we've been doing for the last 50 of them.

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
Rebuild will be done by then, don't worry.

If it happens at all, which I doubt. New management team by then, though. One that believes in re-tooling and focuses on intangibles and offensive hockey and lots of goals scored. Leiweke, Shanny, Nonis and whatever coach they have at the time=long gone. Maybe they'll have a new centennial GM, like Cliff, to remember the glory years. He will sell the farm for that one big year.

I Believe

Mar 5, 2011
Toronto
I can't imagine that much emphasis being placed in one outdoor game.

Especially a game that is guaranteed to be sold out regardless of the team that is iced.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Right now I think a hard working, blue collar, 12th place team which features Rielly,Nylander and better be one of Strome/Marner/Barzal would be better received over this current cast in 2017.

Possibly, I'd want more than just a "hard working" team to be developed though.

That's all nice and everything, And it may be a trait that's missing in parts of the current team; But offense wins you games as we've seen over the last 3 weeks.

It's all about balance.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The absolute best thing for the NHL and Leafs 100th anniversary is for Leafs to win the Connor McDavid lottery this year.

Wonder if Bettman feels that same way?. ;)

NHL awarded the Pens Crosby and they're competitive and Stamkos to TB and they're winning and NYI got JT and now sailing along.

How about making it our turn now?

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
If MLSE really wants to placate the fan base, they would allow Shanahan to initiate a rebuild as opposed to maintaining the status quo.

The team doesn't necessarily need to be gutted. I would support keeping Kessel, JVR, Kadri, Reilly, Holland, Komarov, and Polak. Everyone else should be on the trade block to try and acquire future assets.

silentbob37*

Shouldn't play a role in Shanahan's decision making.

The LAST thing you want to do is make bad moves in an effort to make the playoffs because of a date that will come and go on the calendar.

silentbob37*

If MLSE really wants to placate the fan base, they would allow Shanahan to initiate a rebuild as opposed to maintaining the status quo.

The team doesn't necessarily need to be gutted. I would support keeping Kessel, JVR, Kadri, Reilly, Holland, Komarov, and Polak. Everyone else should be on the trade block to try and acquire future assets.

Bolded guys need to go as part of the rebuild.

If you do some reading on the Bruins, the current management say the one of the most important moves that got them to the Cup was trading Thornton. It forced other guys to play more important roles and to be leaders, which drastically changed the team culture. It gave them the ability to bring in guys like Chara and Savard. Without those moves they don't win a cup.

The Leafs need the samething, they need to move out their very best players to affect real change.

Reddaye

Nov 1, 2011
New Brunswick
I've discussed this with people quite a bit following MLSE's plans for the 100th season. Honestly I'll be shocked if we see a true rebuild with the centennial coming, and this organization's history when it comes to tearing things down and building a new foundation.

Personally I'd like to see the Leafs promote the future with new exciting young players and superstars, but I'll be very surprised if it happens. I don't see Shanahan wanting to do a total rebuild, and I don't see MLSE supporting it either.

:(

Feb 24, 2004

Everyone should always be available for the right price.

That being said, I think that having Stamkos and McDavid should be enough to enjoy that centennial celebration.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Right now I think a hard working, blue collar, 12th place team which features Rielly,Nylander and better be one of Strome/Marner/Barzal would be better received over this current cast in 2017.

Thank you for not mentioning McDavid. Getting awful tired of that particular pipe dream.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
One thing that I think has not been taken into account is the role the 100th anniversary of the club likely to have on the direction of the team?

I know there are many here who passionately feel there is only one course of action to take at this point - but if we're to look past the purely black and answers for a moment, how likely is the Big Brass as MLSE to want a bottom feeding, torn down roster for the 2016/17 season of many planned festivities?

Whether we like it or not, whether it upsets or frustrates you or not - the timing of this can potentially, and likely, forces Shanny's hand to ice a competitive team by that season. That would essentially give him until next offseason to get sufficient pieces in place.

Do you think this means the Leafs will be looking for young roster players / further developed prospects over draft picks as the team goes through it's upcoming make-over?

Do you think the attention and festivities will make it more or less likely to attract talent after the 2015/16 season? (Staal & Stamkos, anyone?)

It's a reality that we have to face - so if we keep Kessel, Kadri, JVR, Nylander, Reilly, Gardiner, Bernier plus let the kids develop - do we have enough assets to do a 2 year rebuild?

Your thoughts?

This team isn't going down the path of a 3+ year, scorched earth style rebuild. Not sure why people are expecting this, because at this point it's almost a guaranteed retool type rebuild. If we get proper returns for some of our older assets (including Kessel and/or Dion), and in addition to a top 5-7 pick this season we should be fine with an accelerated rebuild. We have young players in most key positions, just gota restock the cupboards with some high end talent and go from there.

The only thing that I think is for sure right now is the older players are going, but I see so many posters assuming that the only path we have is a Buffalo style rebuild, when this is the furthest thing from reality. It isn't happening people, we'll be lucky if we have 1 year to bottom out after this year, but even then I expect management will want the team to be competitive next year as well.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
this is where the marketing power of MLSE needs to kick in. it is so painfully simple.

2017 - Celebration of a Centennial -
100 years ago we started from the ground up and captured the hearts of fans everywhere, and created rivalries that are long lasting. Support us while we do it all over again.

build the rebuild into the centennial as a planned thing. easy peasy.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
This team isn't going down the path of a 3+ year, scorched earth style rebuild. Not sure why people are expecting this, because at this point it's almost a guaranteed retool type rebuild. If we get proper returns for some of our older assets (including Kessel and/or Dion), and in addition to a top 5-7 pick this season we should be fine with an accelerated rebuild. We have young players in most key positions, just gota restock the cupboards with some high end talent and go from there.

The only thing that I think is for sure right now is the older players are going, but I see so many posters assuming that the only path we have is a Buffalo style rebuild, when this is the furthest thing from reality. It isn't happening people, we'll be lucky if we have 1 year to bottom out after this year, but even then I expect management will want the team to be competitive next year as well.

Expect craptacular results if this happens.

I like some pieces we have as much as the next guy, but i'd like to grab 2-4 more blue chip pieces in key positions for the rebuild. I'd like to grab a blue chip C prospect and 1-2 defense pieces.

Blue chippers can bust, less chance, but they can bust.

I Believe

Mar 5, 2011
Toronto
The absolute best thing for the NHL and Leafs 100th anniversary is for Leafs to win the Connor McDavid lottery this year.

NHL awarded the Pens Crosby and they're competitive and Stamkos to TB and they're winning and NYI got JT and now sailing along.

No complaints here :naughty:

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Expect craptacular results if this happens.

I like some pieces we have as much as the next guy, but i'd like to grab 2-4 more blue chip pieces in key positions for the rebuild. I'd like to grab a blue chip C prospect and 1-2 defense pieces.

Blue chippers can bust, less chance, but they can bust.

I agree, but this is the reality of the situation. If you see them holding onto guys like Bernier, Kadri, and JVR, it's because this isn't a full rebuild. What reason could their be to hold onto guys like JVR or Bernier if you are planning to have an extended rebuild when they are close to their peak values right now. Same goes for Franson, media is reporting that negotiations are on-going, what possible reason could their be for continued negotiations if they were planning to tear it down this season?

We just need to hope for a substantial return for guys like Kessel and Franson.

Last edited:

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012

Probably going to Edmonton because the 3 other 1st overall picks they gifted them weren't enough to turn that wreck around.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
There's no point in tanking after this season because the draft will be structured differently. Going forward, the best bubble Team will be selecting no worse than 4th overall as early as next year.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007

Very, very unlikely that we're even in line for any help from Bettman and company! And, if we are in line, we're pretty much at the end of it!

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
In my opinion, a very bad one. Push for playoffs, miss it come 9th bad pick etc.... But it hasn't happened before so its not really a big deal :sarcasm:

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
Does anyone here believe Shanahan will do what he things best and will not have his hand forced by the board?

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
(shrug) as MLSE Rogers/Bell edition hasn't been linked to being as heavy handed as the teacher's union, no. I think they'd be like any other board saying xyz, and it's up to Shanahan to stand his ground and go, no, i'm doing ABC.

which is why it's called full autonomy.

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
Two year re-tool. Drafts in 2015 and 2016. Then vet player (s) added as FAs in summer of 2016 to cap max. Re-tool over just in time for centennial. Anniversary is just before Christmas 2017 so things won't be hopeless when anniversary occurs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad