Speculation: What Role is the Centenial Anniverary Likely to Have on the Direction of the Team?

Drew75

Sep 5, 2005
One thing that I think has not been taken into account is the role the 100th anniversary of the club likely to have on the direction of the team?

I know there are many here who passionately feel there is only one course of action to take at this point - but if we're to look past the purely black and answers for a moment, how likely is the Big Brass as MLSE to want a bottom feeding, torn down roster for the 2016/17 season of many planned festivities?

Whether we like it or not, whether it upsets or frustrates you or not - the timing of this can potentially, and likely, forces Shanny's hand to ice a competitive team by that season. That would essentially give him until next offseason to get sufficient pieces in place.

Do you think this means the Leafs will be looking for young roster players / further developed prospects over draft picks as the team goes through it's upcoming make-over?

Do you think the attention and festivities will make it more or less likely to attract talent after the 2015/16 season? (Staal & Stamkos, anyone?)

It's a reality that we have to face - so if we keep Kessel, Kadri, JVR, Nylander, Reilly, Gardiner, Bernier plus let the kids develop - do we have enough assets to do a 2 year rebuild?

Your thoughts?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I posted something similar a few weeks back.

MLSE is trying to get an Outdoor game, entry draft and All-star game during their centennial year of celebration.

MLSE is not going to want to selling a proud history while their rebuilding tanking team resides near the bottom of the standings.

So you can see Leafs adding and building up as opposed to tearing this thing down to the ground as 2017 approaches.

I think this will play a big part in Leafs direction.

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
Hopefully none but it's a sad reality teams go through when they face these types of circumstances (hosting specific games, monumental franchise marks, etc).

I'm an Atlanta Braves fan and everything they've done this summer points towards them taking a step back now in order to field a good team in 2017 when they move into their new stadium. In fact, I think some management has said as much. Certainly a lot of the posters on the Braves message boards feel moves were made with the idea to coincide with the move to the new stadium, etc.

Pocket Hercules

Business in the front, party in the back.
Jun 19, 2008
York Region
One thing that I think has not been taken into account is the role the 100th anniversary of the club likely to have on the direction of the team?

I know there are many here who passionately feel there is only one course of action to take at this point - but if we're to look past the purely black and answers for a moment, how likely is the Big Brass as MLSE to want a bottom feeding, torn down roster for the 2016/17 season of many planned festivities?

Whether we like it or not, whether it upsets or frustrates you or not - the timing of this can potentially, and likely, forces Shanny's hand to ice a competitive team by that season. That would essentially give him until next offseason to get sufficient pieces in place.

Do you think this means the Leafs will be looking for young roster players / further developed prospects over draft picks as the team goes through it's upcoming make-over?

Do you think the attention and festivities will make it more or less likely to attract talent after the 2015/16 season? (Staal & Stamkos, anyone?)

It's a reality that we have to face - so if we keep Kessel, Kadri, JVR, Nylander, Reilly, Gardiner, Bernier plus let the kids develop - do we have enough assets to do a 2 year rebuild?

Your thoughts?

That's a pretty stupid argument...no offense. This team draws win or lose...and who's to say that if they eventually do the full blown rebuild strategy that those young players wouldn't be more popular than the current sad sack bunch of losers that are on the team right now? Not hard to win a popularity contest over this group as they are incredibly unlikable to begin with.

I'm pretty sure that Rogers and Bell now see the big picture of it all and know that these changes need to be done sooner than later.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
If you base the future of your organization on one event (major event or otherwise), sacrifice what needs to be done to put together a solid foundation, well then there really is no hope for the Maple Leafs and might as well find another team.
There is no guarantee, zero, that even keeping these guys for this event, results in us not being a bottom 10 team anyway. Only the jokes would be top 10 as a result. If what is best for the franchise is to rebuild, and it is, this core must go, you do it. You do what's best.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
My hope is that it has no bearing on the direction of the leafs on ice product. I'm confident Shanahan is not going to rush this and become another name in a long list of management failures this franchise has had in the last 50 years.

If the Leafs are young, building and awful the festivities will be a welcome distraction from what otherwise will be a write off of a year. I'd look at it as a perfect reason to capture and distract a fanbase during a time that would otherwise be dull while the team flounders in hopes of future success

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
How about they take the approach of a new beginning and rejuvenation for the 100th year?

Steve

Mar 6, 2002
Maybe it will be the first time in 100 years that the Leafs make a good decision on the future of their club?

Either that or their "Accelerated Rebuild" will be complete and we will be on the fast track to 9th in the East.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
My hope is that it has no bearing on the direction of the leafs on ice product. I'm confident Shanahan is not going to rush this and become another name in a long list of management failures this franchise has had in the last 50 years.

If the Leafs are young, building and awful the festivities will be a welcome distraction from what otherwise will be a write off of a year. I'd look at it as a perfect reason to capture and distract a fanbase during a time that would otherwise be dull while the team flounders in hopes of future success

Tough sell. IMO

NHL awards the Leafs an outdoor game against arch rival Montreal as part of their centennial celebration. Dozens of past greats will be in attendance and honored from both sides.

Leafs march out their rebuilding glorified Marlies line-up team in the middle of the 1-10-1 losing stretch and get pounded 7-1 and embarrass themselves and the organization.

Who is going to pay top $$ to see that and how would that play in any season let alone one you are celebrating 100 years and past success?

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Celebrating 100 years means NOTHING, when the LAST 50 have been absolute GARBAGE!

The only thing I want is a GOOD, YOUNG, up and coming team, by 2017!

Northern Dancer

The future ain't what it used to be.
Mar 2, 2002
5 K from the ACC
I posted something similar a few weeks back.

MLSE is trying to get an Outdoor game, entry draft and All-star game during their centennial year of celebration.

MLSE is not going to want to selling a proud history while their rebuilding tanking team resides near the bottom of the standings.

So you can see Leafs adding and building up as opposed to tearing this thing down to the ground as 2017 approaches.

I think this will play a big part in Leafs direction.

We will be fine after we sign Stamkos and draft McDavid.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Tough sell. IMO

NHL awards the Leafs an outdoor game against arch rival Montreal as part of their centennial celebration. Dozens of past greats will be in attendance and honored from both sides.

Leafs march out their rebuilding glorified Marlies line-up team in the middle of the 1-10-1 losing stretch and get pounded 7-1 and embarrass themselves and the organization.

Who is going to pay top $$ to see that and how would that play in any season let alone one you are celebrating 100 years and past success?

Toronto Maple Leafs fans.

I think it should be pretty clear by now that the Leafs will sell out with the highest ticket prices in the league no matter what calibre product they put on the ice.

I Believe

Mar 5, 2011
Toronto
Even our bottom 10 team won the Winter Classic. I don't think they're gonna go nuts for one random outdoor game.

5th last Columbus just hosted the all-star game and it went pretty well. I don't think the competitiveness of the team means much when it comes to hosting. It'll be a sellout regardless.

BlueForever

Sep 23, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
How about draft lottery ball going their way this year, for a McDavid draft pick and then we win a cup in 2017 for the 50 anniversary of the last cup. 100th anniversary is celebrated by a back to back cup win!!!

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
They'll likely want a big name to help market the event around (ie, great time to sell a bunch of jerseys). But who knows really how much the current MLSE group dictates the direction of the team.

Ed Belfour

Nov 9, 2011
Toronto
It's a legitimate thought, but I don't think it's too much of an issue. Right now the Leafs are the laughing stock of the NHL. In a year where the Sabres are intentionally tanking, the Leafs somehow took that award. The image of MLSE is lower than it will ever be right now, so even if we came into that season and all those events with a sub par record and young team, would it really be as bad as it is now? In fact, I'd venture to say that the fans would be even more restless and angry if it's 2017 and we're still spinning our wheels in 10th place with a Phaneuf and Kessel led team.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Toronto Maple Leafs fans.

I think it should be pretty clear by now that the Leafs will sell out with the highest ticket prices in the league no matter what calibre product they put on the ice.

You're not wrong however I see a difference in charging to see Kessel and Phaneuf and them playing poorly and team losing as opposed to trying and sell McKegg and Granberg as rebuilding for the future and come see us get pounded.

Perception of trying to win but failing, rather than selling trying to lose intentionally (ie tanking).

MLSE might as well ask for an outdoor game for the Marlies verses Hamilton (Montreal farm team) instead of trying to promote Marlies roster verses Montreal ticket.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Ideally, And I know it may a bit unrealistic, But I hope things are at least sorted and we're trending upwards again.

Hopefully with a core headed by Rielly, Nylander, the '15 1st. Current guys like Kadri and JVR; Sprinkle in a few Marlies as well.

But if the development curve of the team and the centennial don't match up, The so be it. Like others have said we can't risk to deviate from plan/project w/e for one year of success.

Drew75

Sep 5, 2005
In my personal opinion - I think it will be a mix of a accelerated rebuild, with some effort to be competetive by the centenial season.

The reality is that while as a fan, we can want what we want - the Brass will likely apply at least some pressure to be competetive.

I can see Shanny (and who ever takes over GM duties late this summer ;)), keeping some of the current young assets like Kadri, Kessel, Bernier, etc - and rebuilding as much as possible with assets such as Phaneuf, Franson, Bozak, Lupul, etc. I think we'll get some extra picks for both this year and next, but it won't all be trades for picks - as evidenced by them trying to get Toffoli for Phaneuf from the Kings. A mix of picks (Strome / Marner / Barzal) plus young < 23, still developing roster players will somewhat accelerate the process.

While I think an effort will made to change the core and direction of the team - I also get the sense that will be no dumb 'draft pick for aging vets' rush jobs either. I can also see them going hard for the top UFA's available in the summer of 2016.

Wilbur*

Unfortunately, knowing this ownership, a big one. Rogers/Bell/Tanenbaum will want a "competitive" team for that season. And when I say competitive, I mean a Kessel-type-led team that may or may not challenge for the 9th seed. **** this ownership and **** this organization.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
A 20 year old McDavid (and maybe but unlikely Stamkos) should be the piece that sells this celebration. MLSE probably doesn't know who McDavid is so....

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Ideally, And I know it may a bit unrealistic, But I hope things are at least sorted and we're trending upwards again.

Hopefully with a core headed by Rielly, Nylander, the '15 1st. Current guys like Kadri and JVR; Sprinkle in a few Marlies as well.

But if the development curve of the team and the centennial don't match up, The so be it. Like others have said we can't risk to deviate from plan/project w/e for one year of success.

Right now I think a hard working, blue collar, 12th place team which features Rielly,Nylander and better be one of Strome/Marner/Barzal would be better received over this current cast in 2017.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
If the ultimatum from above is being competitive in 2017 then I can see that factoring into decisions today.

Hypothetical Kessel trade.

Option A:

A current cup contender offers their 1st (25-30th overall pick) this year and their 1st next year 2016 for Kessel that might be what a rebuilding team needs and wants. That 2015 pick being a player like Freddy Gauthier level a few years away due to being a late 1st.

Option B:
However with the pressure to compete in 2017 that might mean Leafs are looking for warm bodies back now .. ie Kessel traded in a deal that brings Ryan O'Reilly + prospect etc in return.

While option A might be best for a draft rebuild, option B would be better to ice name players in 2017 and more likely the option ownership would want in the centennial year.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
I'm an Atlanta Braves fan and everything they've done this summer points towards them taking a step back now in order to field a good team in 2017 when they move into their new stadium. In fact, I think some management has said as much. Certainly a lot of the posters on the Braves message boards feel moves were made with the idea to coincide with the move to the new stadium, etc.

If that new stadium means you guys will also stop with that stupid tomahawk chop chant crap, I'd much appreciate it :sarcasm:

Another comparable would be the Brooklyn Nets. Got a new owner, made a bunch of all in moves to coincide with moving to Barclay's Center in 2012, and guess what? It backfired... thankfully.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad