What players (in your eyes) solidified themselves as HOF'ers after this season.

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
So, just to be clear, this isn't every player in the league that you think is a HOF after this season ends. Specifically this is players you didn't think were at the end of last season or were fence sitting on but now you do. (So leave the Crosby, McDavid, Malkin, Kanes etc out who were obviously HOF'ers prior to this season).

A few to consider:

Auston Matthews: I had him as a HOF already prior to this season but not everyone did. Surely becoming only the 10th player in NHL history to have two or more 60 goal seasons + 3rd Rocket Richard trophy in 4 seasons makes him a lock even if he retired at seasons end.

Roman Josi: I was a fence sitter for him prior to this season but a season where he will finish likely around 85 points and garner a top 5 Norris finish, he's in.

Cale Makar: It was a controversial opinion to say he would have been in end of last season with so few games played but nonetheless many said he would be. Now that he's added another season to his resume with likely 90+ points and almost for certain another Norris finalist (I think Hughes wins but Makar could). He will have 4 Norris finalists, 1 Norris, 1 Smythe, 1 cup, Calder, over PPG through 310+ games.

Brad Marchand: Has an additional season of compiling gotten him there?

Artemi Panarin: Likely finishes around 115-120 points, and finishes with almost exactly the same number of career points as Pavel Bure who is already in the HOF. This is his 4th time getting 90+ points and 6th time getting 80+.

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
Morgan Rielly showed incredible grit after the other team decided to try and show up the leafs leading to his team rallying around him and going on a tear, he has been a star in #HockeysMecca for years, it's time to admit he is HOF worthy

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
Morgan Rielly showed incredible grit after the other team decided to try and show up the leafs leading to his team rallying around him and going on a tear, he has been a star in #HockeysMecca for years, it's time to admit he is HOF worthy
Rielly playing "Mike Tyson's Punch Out" on the back of Greig's noggin indeed turned the Leafs season around and solidified playoffs.

If Leafs win the cup his jersey goes straight to the rafters and they rename the Gardiner Express Way which never should have been named after Jake Gardiner in the first place.

Kucherov, MacKinnon, Matthews I think are locks

Makar probably as well

Panarin and Pastrnak are probably close and Q Hughes is starting to make a case
Mack and Kucherov were surely locks before this season. Kucherov was 100%.

Pasta is a good shout. Another 45+ goal season and another 105+ point season.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Rielly playing "Mike Tyson's Punch Out" on the back of Greig's noggin indeed turned the Leafs season around and solidified playoffs.

If Leafs win the cup his jersey goes straight to the rafters and they rename the Gardiner Express Way which never should have been named after Jake Gardiner in the first place.

Mack and Kucherov were surely locks before this season. Kucherov was 100%.

Pasta is a good shout. Another 45+ goal season and another 105+ point season.

On paper Matthews has a more decorated career than MacKinnon even before this season. Higher career pace in goals and points with 4, soon to be 5 major awards.

As much as I think MacKinnon is a lock, he literally has an empty trophy case (albeit his name etched on the SC).

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
On paper Matthews has a more decorated career than MacKinnon even before this season. Higher career pace in goals and points with 4, soon to be 5 major awards.

As much as I think MacKinnon is a lock, he literally has an empty trophy case (albeit his name etched on the SC).
Matthews has better hardware of course but Mack had the cup + 3x Hart finalist + better raw stats coming into this year. Either way, both are stone cold locks after this year.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
So, I'm assuming that Kopi and Stamkos are locks?

If Marchand gets in, does Tavares, also? How much does the case for either depend on how far their teams go in this year's playoffs?

Hedman, Letang, Karlsson, Burns. All in?

Last edited:

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Matthews has better hardware of course but Mack had the cup + 3x Hart finalist + better raw stats coming into this year. Either way, both are stone cold locks after this year.

Matthews has a 1 and 2 Hart finish, higher Point per game and has 30 more goals in 230 fewer games.

I think MacKinnon is equal or better as s player, but his career on paper isn’t reflective of that. A Smythe would’ve went a long way, but Nate has this tendency to be at his absolute best when there is someone slightly better.

Should’ve won his Hart in 17-18 but it went to Hall, should have his second this season but McDavid and Kucherov are making that uncertain, should’ve had a Smythe but Makar went god mode.

Reactions: Sentinel

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
Hedman’s a subtle one. His reputation is more compelling than his stats and awards. Assuming he finishes in the 3-4 range for the Norris, that will be his 5th such finish. He needs to compile a certain number of these seasons to solidify his case compared to a Shea Weber.
I don't think anyone in the world didn't have Hedman as a HOF coming into this year.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Hedman’s a subtle one. His reputation is more compelling than his stats and awards. Assuming he finishes in the 3-4 range for the Norris, that will be his 5th such finish. He needs to compile a certain number of these seasons to solidify his case compared to a Shea Weber.

Hedman's a lock, he was the 1D on the team of the decade probably. TB has had the most success out of any team besides Chicago since him and Stamkos came in.

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
Joe Pavelski.
Also a good one. Much like Marchand they don't have the trophies to get in so their chances rely on compiling and being good late into their careers.

I have high standards for the HOF and don't personally have or want Pavelski in but if you were on the fence with him going into this season, another 26+ goal/65+ point season from him might tip the scales.

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam

If Marchand gets in, does Tavares, also? How much does the case for either depend on how far their teams go in this year's playoffs?

The bolded were all locks prior to this season no doubt.

Burns and Letang. I don't have either one in. For anyone that does, I'm not sure if this season was a needle mover for either. I could see the argument I guess an additional pretty solid season of stat padding for Burns tipped the scales for someone who was already close to anointing him a HOF.

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
From Finns Barkov

Should be a 2x Selke winner after this season and will score +1200 points in his career
I do think this thread could've been premature because who wins the cup + Conn and award voting def has a big part to play in this.

I for sure don't think Barkov is a HOF as of April 2, 2024 but if Panthers win the cup and he's a Selke finalist or even winner (neither one out of the question) then he very rapidly moves into that conversation.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site

Am I the only person who doesn't have Stamkos as a lock? After his injury, he's been a really good player but I don't think he's at that level. And this isn't a Bossy/Orr/Nealy case where his career has been cut short, just a case where he didn't return to that same level of play.

Personally hope he makes it because he's always been a class guy.

• Haha
Reactions: Elysian

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
Am I the only person who doesn't have Stamkos as a lock? After his injury, he's been a really good player but I don't think he's at that level. And this isn't a Bossy/Orr/Nealy case where his career has been cut short, just a case where he didn't return to that same level of play.

Personally hope he makes it because he's always been a class guy.
You must be, yes.

550 goals, 2x Rocket, 1 cup (not giving him credit for the cup where he played 4 minutes) and was at one point in his career considered a top 5 player.

He has the peak, prime, career numbers, and and awards.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
He has a Norris and a Conn Smythe, with numerous postseason All-Star finishes.

There was no subtlety. He's a lock.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad